No announcement yet.

Does anybody have any tips regarding the dry eye night goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAK is benzalkonium chloride. If you are buying drops that are labeled preservative-free, there should not be BAK or any other preservatives listed in the ingredients shown on the box.

Bion Tears Preservative Free are sold in the U.K., and have the same main ingredients as the Genteal Tears. Both are manufactured by Alcon.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bion-Tears-...-/112690472465

Comment

Originally posted by Hokucat View Post
      BAK is benzalkonium chloride. If you are buying drops that are labeled preservative-free, there should not be BAK or any other preservatives listed in the ingredients shown on the box.

Bion Tears Preservative Free are sold in the U.K., and have the same main ingredients as the Genteal Tears. Both are manufactured by Alcon.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bion-Tears-...-/112690472465
      oh shit, i had some redness reliever which contained benzalkonium chloride. I don't take them anymore though. Hopefully no lasting damage has been done.

Thanks. I will check these out. I don't want anything too strong, as my glands aren't too bad.

Comment

Preservatives in eyedrops: the good, the bad and the ugly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20302969

Comment

I have the eyeseals, used them for 2 nights because I had an issue with them. I sleep on my side a lot, so when I'd press my head into the pillow, the goggles would stick to my face and actually pull my lids open further. I'm going to give them another shot, because I need to keep my eyes from drying at night. However, I'm not sure how to fix that issue other than changing my sleeping habits or using an alternative method like Saran Wrap.

I hope you find a way...maybe goggles aren't for you. Maybe you need to tape the lid shut or patch the eye.good luck.

Comment

Using goggles/bubble bandages AND drops/gels/ointments at the same time can give you extra protection. There's several night ointments, but the thickness and ingredients (mineral oil, white petroleum) always bothered my eyes. I would recommend a gel drop drop, as these are longer lasting than regular drops. I used to use Systane Ultra preservative-free or Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel. The Genteal is my all time favorite, the only drop/gel that gave me some relief...long-lasting, and gave me a moist, soothing feeling and great seal to the eyeball from environmental factors. I used to have very severe dry eyes literally like sandpaper, so used gel drops during both day and night.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/d...ts/genteal-gel

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/s.../systane-ultra
            I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere but to our knowledge is the dissipating preservative in genteal feel safe for long-term use? That stuff saved my life during my worst days but at night I’ve used systane gel along with eyeseals 4.0, the combination of which has helped a lot. I even wake up with condensation on the eye cups in the morning. The gel also keeps my eye stuck closed since one eye doesn’t close 100% fully. However my eyes do feel kinda funny after waking up, and I worry the oil/jelly may be worsening my blepharitis. I may try the genteal gel at night instead. So in short, try the eyeseals plus some kind of nighttime product and let us know!

As an aside, what helped me the most at night was getting out of a toxic living environment i.e. Sahara desert-like humidity caused by an old radiator in an old building. Get to a modern and climate-controlled bedroom with a humidifier if possible!

Comment

I'm going to revise my earlier statement. I decided to try the goggles last night again after seeing this post. So instead of fighting it, I went with it..,made sure I slept on my back and I had a decently snug fit. Made my eyes feel so much better today it's unbelievable. only downside is lack of comfort while I sleep. Otherwise the eyeseals 4.0 are great, assuming you can change your sleeping habits. I'm sure they will only make things better as I continue to wear them.

Comment

I'm going to revise my earlier statement. I decided to try the goggles last night again after seeing this post. So instead of fighting it, I went with it..,made sure I slept on my back and I had a decently snug fit. Made my eyes feel so much better today it's unbelievable. only downside is lack of comfort while I sleep. Otherwise the eyeseals 4.0 are great, assuming you can change your sleeping habits. I'm sure they will only make things better as I continue to wear them.

Comment

Hi, I am taking them off in my sleep rather than them slipping off.
                  Got it. I know others this happens to. I've known a few people who - i know this is kind of extreme - but tied like a bandana around it. Others use a really secure goggle like post lasik style goggles with straps that are harder to interfere with while you're sleeping. If nothing can stay on then the taping lids or using adhesive bubble bandages (esp on worst eye) tends to be the only reliable thing to do. The bubble things work extremely well but they are expensive for nightly use and the adhesive can be irritating - I know a lot of people who have to do it but hopefully something less drastic could work.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

diydry,

I used the Genteal Severe Eye Gel for 5 years, day and night, and like you, that saved my life too. I only had a short period where I started to get a slight allergic reaction, so I had to stop using it for awhile. Instead I would use Tears Naturele (now called Genteal Tears Preservative Free) also made by Alcon, because it also has the main ingredient Hypromellose that soothed my eyes like the gel, I just had to use it a lot more often and of course it was not as effective as the gel. I stopped using the Genteal gel completely ater getting some tear film back and being able to wear my sclerals again, and have not seen experienced any side effects from the gel yet.

When using the gel, I would clean my eyes (lightly) with Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Foam 3x daily, because I was concerned about worsening blepharitis as well.

Dowork,

That's great wearing the EyeSeals again has helped your eyes feel much better the next day. Sometimes I've revisited using things that didn't help before or stopped working, like sclerals, and found it was helpful again too.

Comment

Dowork,

That's great wearing the EyeSeals again has helped your eyes feel much better the next day. Sometimes I've revisited using things that didn't help before or stopped working, like sclerals, and found it was helpful again too.
                      Yes agreed...for me, it's that I'm still new to dry eye and kind of fighting it. I don't want to keep losing "freedoms" or choices rather. I mean, I sleep on my side...this seems so trivial, but I have to sleep on my back with the eyeseals. The first night I used them I woke up the next day just mad. Mad I couldnt just sleep with my fave dig into my pillow like I'd done my whole life.

Then I had two erosions, and my doctor kept repeating, you're sleeping with your eyes open. So instead of fighting it, I tried them again because of this post. I'm still not happy about it lol but I don't seem to have a choice right now. I prefer having no erosions and wearing goggles apparently.

Comment

Dowork, you are certainly a trooper. Yes, having severe dry eyes can certainly take away freedoms, and it is so frustrating to have to refrain from, or lose the ability to do simple things we formerly did on a daily basis without a second thought. I will say that I have a greater appreciation for all these things I previously took for granted, family, and life in general, now that my eyes are not so debilitatingly dry. I have faith you will improve eventually, so just consider it a "break" from sleeping on your side for now!

Funny but I don't think of you as new to dry eyes, because you are quite knowledgeable on the various treatments, and always so helpful with advice and support to those in this forum. Glad you are here helping others, and hope you will continue to find information and support to help you get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                          Tolerance for night lubricants varies a lot. Couple of pointers
                          - Most ointments contain lanolin alcohol and some people are sensitive to it
                          - Ointments vary a lot in the proportions of petrolatum to mineral oil and some people do not do well with the ones that have a high proportion of petrolatum. More info
                          - Polymer gels like Genteal Gel are a good substitute for many people - almost as viscous, but they evaporate fully, no greasy residue. However the dissipating preservative causes issues for some people.

Goggles
                          - The strap on all of the Eye Eco products is too slippery for some people. I know a lot of people who jury-rig it with velcro or elastic to keep it on more firmly.
                          - It's unusual for Eyeseals to slip around because it has enough of a flange flat against the skin to anchor it well on most people. But it does happen.
                          - If you have any issues with Eyeseals losing shape, etc, the manufacturer is really good with the warranty replacements (up to a year from original purchase).

thanks

is lanolin alcohol bad for the eyes? why do they put it in ointment?

Comment

I don't know why they put it in ointment. Only reason I know of for sure that it can be an issue is wool or lanolin allergy.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                              Tolerance for night lubricants varies a lot. Couple of pointers
                              - Most ointments contain lanolin alcohol and some people are sensitive to it
                              - Ointments vary a lot in the proportions of petrolatum to mineral oil and some people do not do well with the ones that have a high proportion of petrolatum. More info
                              - Polymer gels like Genteal Gel are a good substitute for many people - almost as viscous, but they evaporate fully, no greasy residue. However the dissipating preservative causes issues for some people.

Goggles
                              - The strap on all of the Eye Eco products is too slippery for some people. I know a lot of people who jury-rig it with velcro or elastic to keep it on more firmly.
                              - It's unusual for Eyeseals to slip around because it has enough of a flange flat against the skin to anchor it well on most people. But it does happen.
                              - If you have any issues with Eyeseals losing shape, etc, the manufacturer is really good with the warranty replacements (up to a year from original purchase).

Hi Rebecca,

What are the difference between gel and ointment would you say? TheraTears nighttime dry eye therapy be a good idea for someone whose eye doesn't fully close at night? they seem to be preservative free.

Also, is the ingredient in TheraTears nighttime dry eye therapy (Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose) the same as Carmellose Sodium that is found in Celluvisc - https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1430/smpc

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

What are the difference between gel and ointment would you say? TheraTears nighttime dry eye therapy be a good idea for someone whose eye doesn't fully close at night? they seem to be preservative free.
                                Well, ointments are greasy and gel isn't. True gels have a dissipating preservative (which can be irritating for some people) but almost all ointments are preservative free

Also, is the ingredient in TheraTears nighttime dry eye therapy (Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose) the same as Carmellose Sodium that is found in Celluvisc - https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1430/smpc

Thanks
                                Yes I believe so
                                Rebecca Petris
                                The Dry Eye Foundation
                                dryeyefoundation.org
                                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                                X