Are your eye drops hurting your eyes? Eye Drop Osmolarity & Inflammation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your eye drops hurting your eyes? Eye Drop Osmolarity & Inflammation

I don’t want to sound like a commercial for Theratears but they did make my eyes feel the best when I was using drops.

https://www.tearlab.com/
    "Abnormal Osmolarity is defined by: An elevated reading, >300 mOsm/L, indicating loss of homeostasis. OR, When the inter-eye difference is >8 mOsm/L, indicating instability of the tear film."

http://www.mastereyeassociates.com/t...cant-eye-drops

Dry eye is a result of a loss of water from the tears on the surface of the eyes that makes the tears too salty or "hyper-osmotic."
    TheraTears Lubricant Eye Drops are hypo-osmotic which counteracts the hyperosmolarity of dry eyes. In fact, Theratears has the lowest osmolarity of any artificial tear on the market. TheraTears help put back the lost water in the tear layer and more importantly Thera Tears lowers the high salt concentration of the tears which reduces irritation and the cause of the dry eye inflammation.

In addition the tears are an electrolyte solution specially designed to protect the eye surface. TheraTears replicates the balance of the human tear film so that each drop provides the special salt balance and the electrolyte balance needed for the health of the ocular surface.
    Each drop of TheraTears also provides a special, highly lubricating form of carboxymethylcellulose, to maximize the instant relief from the dryness, stinging and burning, and sandy-gritty irritation of dry eye.

The lower the osmolarity of artificial tears, the more effective the drop is in decreasing the high salt concentration found in dry eyes.

The Osmolarity of Various Artificial Tears Solutions

Product Brand Osmolarity
    TheraTears 181
    Systane 245
    Visine Tears 298
    Refresh Plus 318

Above data from a study entitled Comparison of Osmolarity Values of selected ocular lubricants - ARVO 2004 by Perrigin DM, Morgan A., Quintero S, et al.

Theratears prevents dry spot formation better than any other drop tested. That was the conclusion of a study by the LSU Health Sciences Center that was reported in 2007 at the annual meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). Theratears maintained normal tear film stability for 30 minutes after one drop was instilled.

Prior to testing of Thera Tears it was believed that the thicker/ more viscous the eye drop, the better it would improve tear film stability. New studies now suggest that other properties of the artificial tear are more important in stabilizing the tear film. These studies suggest that TheraTears is the best choice for dry eye patients with unstable tear films.

The dry eye experts at Master Eye Associates highly recommend TheraTears.
    Master Eye Associates has NO financial interest in TheraTears.

Theratears is the only drop I can use. My eye prefers isotonic solutions...so this makes sense. Nice write up.

Comment

Glad to hear they help your eyes too

Comment

Originally posted by PRK View Post
        Glad to hear they help your eyes too
        I'm about to try oasis tears, I hear it's a great product...nothing has offered relief like theratears BUT for some reason they still give me this scratchy foreign body feeling. I hate it, but I deal with it because I get lasting relief. Trying to see if I can find a better drop.

Comment

So I got both types, oasis tears and oasis tears plus. They're both really amazing drops. The plus version is thicker BUT it's smooth in the eye. It's the best thick/gel like drop I've ever used.

That said, they still don't provide the relief of theratears. Maybe what I'm feeling with theratears is what you feel when you put lotion on your cracked hands. My eyes so dry, its feels odd until the drop hydrated the eye. No clue, just wish they were more comfortable upon application.

Comment

Which version of Thera Tears are you using? I have been trying Refresh Optive Mega-3 and Retaine MGD lately, like them both. I find Oasis to be drying.
            Last edited by gz9gjg; 19-Oct-2018, 07:37.

Comment

I’m in the uk and theratears is out of stock everywhere. Why is this?

Comment

Working...
              X