Rapid descent into dry eye - Glare issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid descent into dry eye - Glare issues

I had moderate dry eye for last 2 years. I would occasionally need a OTC drop once or twice a day. One day, I purchased a new tv and I noticed that I had issues with glare [something bright on black screen]. I thought it was odd but continuued to use tv, went for a few weeks and it got worse and worse. Tried going back to old tv and it was now almost as bad. My eyes felt very dry and was feeling pain. I cut my tv use and made a trip to doctor. I explained my problems and she said I have very bad dry eye and a lot of my issues were from inflammation. She wanted to prescribe restasis but I needed to take OTC for a few months to show my insurance company I tried.

Many months later, through fighting for it. I got prescription, and results were amazing and immediate on day one. Pain gone, a big chunk of issues gone. I am guessing this was do to being anti-inflammatory. Really seems odd that there wasn't a better solution for anti-inflammation that I could take but I digress. Now I have been on restasis for 3 months and I am not seeing any results as far as glare. I still get quite a bit of starbursts and its hard to use computer especially when there is something bright next to or on black background.

I have no doubt I have very dry eyes. I am a bit confused by my glare issues though especially since my doctor was very combative when I asked questions. I asked how dry are my eyes - she replied I've seen drier. Why do I not see improvements in glare even if I am looking directly at a light and adding eye drops in at same time - she said its because they evaporate so fast. I spent maybe 2 minutes just trying to get her to talk before she said maybe you should get a second opinion. Unfortunately I have no idea if my problems with glare are even caused by dry eye at this point since I have good days with no changes. No idea if my tears have water/oil deficit. Will be a few weeks till I book an appointment else where.

My main question is.. if dry eye is the cause of my glare issues and I am adding eye drops while looking at a light/issue shouldn't I see improvement at least temporarily if I am using a thick gel eye OTC drop?
    Last edited by eqzitara; 03-Aug-2018, 19:53.

Prof. Alice Epitropoulos mentioned glare issue often. Maybe you could find some of her articles
    Good luck!

Comment

If the best your Dr could offer is 'I've seen drier' her next best advice was to find another doctor. Seriously what kind of an answer is that.

Personally my tears evaporate so fast the TBUT is almost 0 and I dont get glare. Not to say that is not what is causing yours but really.....yes I agree, find another doctor.

Comment

Once my eye dryness started, I ended up with glare, lots of star burts, and double vision (ghosting in one eye), and light sensitivity. Most of my symptoms are much more noticable at night (=> larger pupil). My night vision (large pupil => higher order aberrations) is messed up since approx 2years... the day when dry eyes started... my drier eye correlates to the severeness of described symptoms.

Maybe the mucous layer is broken or so, leading to such visual symptoms. In my case, eye drops do help for 1 minute. It is as if they can't stick on my eye surface...

Comment

I used to have severe dry eyes with no tear film. Glare was a significant problem for me too. It helped some to use a thicker gel drop like Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel because it stayed on the eye longer. Also sclerals lenses can reduce some of the glare since the dome shape of the lenses covers the corneas in saline (and artificial tears) all day long.

I’m doing better and have some tear film now, and the glare issues have gone away. So for me it was likely related to my tear film evaporating so quickly, or having no tear film.

Comment

I suffered from glare when my eyes were bad.

Screens glare was the worse, really uncomfortable.

Comment

I was getting a lot of glare/starburst/double vision in the left eye since my dry eye started. Just recently it went away. I'm just speculating, but I believe my eyeball itself was just super dry. Adding drops didn't help it because I sleep with my eyes open. So as soon as I added ointment at night and eye shields, in two days the glare disappeared. I just think I couldn't catch up to how dry my eye was with drops alone. I think I'm going to be even more aggressive. Chamber glasses all day, lubricating my eye every hour regardless of how my eyes feel, going a little cooler on my compress...there's room for improvement. But my pint is you have to keep that eye bathed constantly, even at night.

As for the drops. The gel drops will not give you the vision you want. I would test it with something thinner. I use theratears PF or systane ultra PF. When I would use those, the glare would disappear for a few seconds then immediately come back. I thought fixing the tear film would help the glare but all I did was add the ointment and eye protection.

Comment

Hi Dowork123

I was wondering for how long you had glare/staburst/double vision?

Did they actually go away when you put drop in your eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
                  I was getting a lot of glare/starburst/double vision in the left eye since my dry eye started. Just recently it went away. I'm just speculating, but I believe my eyeball itself was just super dry. Adding drops didn't help it because I sleep with my eyes open. So as soon as I added ointment at night and eye shields, in two days the glare disappeared. I just think I couldn't catch up to how dry my eye was with drops alone. I think I'm going to be even more aggressive. Chamber glasses all day, lubricating my eye every hour regardless of how my eyes feel, going a little cooler on my compress...there's room for improvement. But my pint is you have to keep that eye bathed constantly, even at night.

As for the drops. The gel drops will not give you the vision you want. I would test it with something thinner. I use theratears PF or systane ultra PF. When I would use those, the glare would disappear for a few seconds then immediately come back. I thought fixing the tear film would help the glare but all I did was add the ointment and eye protection.

Comment

Working...
                  X