Incomplete Blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomplete Blink

I posted a while back when my eyes were cured. Unfortunately, the problem came back. This was extremely distressing, as I had just a taste of what freedom could feel like.

Now it seems like my lower eye lid sits too low (my inferior sclera shows). I've recorded myself blinking, it does seem that many of them are incomplete. I've placed a rubber band around my face to raise my lower eye lids, and this seems to help a lot of my symptoms.

How can I permanently fix my blink? I've tried all sorts of exercises, and they don't work. Is plastic surgery risky if I wanted to try and fix it that way?

I have this problem as well, partial blinking. I don't know the cause of my partial blinking still, and don't have a good solution. I too try my best to do blinking exercises, but I dont think its actually helping. My (not so good) solution thus far is to consciously blink fully and completely by squeezing my lids shut -all the time-. My dry eyes have improved, but correlation is not causation so I won't attribute this to my conscience blinking.

Comment

Try doing blinking exercises. I did a lipiview before and after having done blinking exercises and they improved. I suspect that contact lenses may have started my partial blinking issue which then caused mgd and other issues, but it's hard to know for sure.

Comment

I would try to find someone who does lipiview/lipiflow because that test will tell you if your blink is indeed incomplete.

If it is then you can have a lower lid graft to support the lid but I would not do that unless it was completely essential. because plastic surgery is always risky. There are other less invasive procedures called a canthopexy where the lower ligament is suspended by attaching it to the orbital bone which may or may not help but it is a relatively simple procedure. The other thing they can do is to put a stitch at the corner of the eye called aTarsorrhaphy but that can make your eye look smaller which most people don't want and be irritating because it feels like you can't open properly.

Comment

Hi Raven

I have located this especially for you.

Blinking exercise demo - tips from dry eye expert, Dr Laura Periman
          https://dryeyecoach.com/blinking-exercises/

Important is lids needed to be sealed/touched & do it as often as possible.

Comment

Find the best oculoplastic surgeon you can to exam your eyes for your incomplete blink. These doctors are able to determine whether surgery can help or not.

Comment

I have impartial blinking too. Does it mean I should not get Scleral lens?

Comment

You could well have problems as a result. Once you get a better blink with exercises you might try a mini scleral which has a much lower vault than a full scleral but, on my sclerals at least, the vault was very high and for sure if you have an incomplete blink in the first place the eye will never close over a full scleral.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                  You could well have problems as a result. Once you get a better blink with exercises you might try a mini scleral which has a much lower vault than a full scleral but, on my sclerals at least, the vault was very high and for sure if you have an incomplete blink in the first place the eye will never close over a full scleral.
                  I'm thinking about getting sclerals as well -- do you recommend them? I'm a bit worried wearing sclerals can make my dry eyes even worse, for example, i already have a partial blink problem, sclerals can make that worse, or even other side effects of sclerals that i am not aware of , what are your opinions?

Comment

I have or had a partial blink as well, and have been wearing sclerals regularly, sometimes as long as 12 hours a day, for three years now. I have not gotten worse or had any side effects from the sclerals that I am aware of, however I regularly do blinking exercises which may help keep my meibomian glands from getting blocked up. There are also days during the week where I wear glasses instead of sclerals, which may also help.

As far as trying mini or regular sclerals, if you go to a fitter who has significant experience specializing in sclerals to treat dry eyes (PROSE, EyePrintPro, Dr. Gemoules), they likely would be the best judge of which would be the most appropriate diameter and vault for your condition and shape/size of your eyes, after examining you. Of course you can always voice your concerns to them about potential side effects.

Comment

If I had an incomplete blink I would consider a mini scleral as opposed to a full scleral. I have had both and can't get a comfortable fit in my left eye but the minis were better than the full. Like Hokucat says best to find a good experienced fitter and discuss your concerns to them and see what they recommend. The good news is that most clinics charge a fitting fee but you don't have to pay for the actual lenses unless you are happy.

Comment

I notice when my inflammation is high, my lids do not close properly. It’s like they’re paralyzed. For example, my left one, for whatever reason, is healing and closing well. So it continues to close well. The right one, if I get it closed for a night starts to get stronger, but even a couple hours with the lids open and they’re paralyzed and strained again. I just feel if I could get a stretch of closed eyes, for a week or so, they’d function wayyyy better.

i feel that anyone who has MGD or lid disease is susceptible to their lids not functioning properly. Any trauma, surgery, injury, what have you, will effect the muscles and collagen in the eyelid. That’s why I feel anyone with lid disease and incomplete blink should be looking into possible nocturnal lagopthalmos.

Comment

Working...
                        X