Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nulids, curious your thoughts...

https://www.nusightmedical.com/

Wonder what you all think about this. I still don't understand exactly how it cleans your glands after reading their info.

the price is 320 and you need new tips daily. You can buy it right now, may pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Dowork123; 15-Aug-2018, 13:45.

My opinion: feels like more marketing than substance. I think if you do warm compress + lib scrubs, I highly doubt this is more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      My opinion: feels like more marketing than substance. I think if you do warm compress + lib scrubs, I highly doubt this is more effective.
      Do you understand how it works? If I could get an explaination of how it works, then I'd be able to make a similar judgement.

Comment

From their FAQ:

How does the NuLids System work?

The NuLids System treats Blepharitis and Dry Eye disease caused by Meibomian gland dysfunction. This condition often worsens over time. NuLids is clinically proven safe and effective for removal of biofilm and scurf that occlude the openings of the Meibomian glands. These glands are responsible for producing the lipid layer of the tear film. In studies, lipid deficiency is the cause of Dry Eye Disease in 86% of all cases. In addition, the gentle massaging action of the NuLids Daily Disposable Tip may stimulate capillary perfusion at the lid margins and contribute to overall better eyelid health
        The fact that they avoid answering with substance, and the whole website screams marketing, I suspect the device does little than warm your eyelids and nothing more. My opinion is that this is yet another device/treatment that just preys on desperate patients.

Comment

Hey thanks for sharing. They say it’s clinically proven but I didn’t see any section on research/science on the website (I only skimmed it though). Testimonials don’t say much.

Maybe you can email them and see if they have the results of a clinical trial they can share with you. Remember, lipiflow and IPL have various clinical trials to back them up and lipiflow is FDA approved (of course that doesn’t mean these studies!are flawless by any means). If you find more info, let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by diydry View Post
            Hey thanks for sharing. They say it’s clinically proven but I didn’t see any section on research/science on the website (I only skimmed it though). Testimonials don’t say much.

Maybe you can email them and see if they have the results of a clinical trial they can share with you. Remember, lipiflow and IPL have various clinical trials to back them up and lipiflow is FDA approved (of course that doesn’t mean these studies!are flawless by any means). If you find more info, let us know!
            "clinically proven" is such a weak word and means nothing. The correct thing to do is to run a double-blind clinical trial with researchers who aren't affiliated w/ the device.

Comment

Has anybody heard anything new on this? Their site really is frustratingly vague.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Looks like it works on the same principle as blephex but with a dotted revolving disc which is illuminated instead of a microfiber sponge tip. What's new?

A personal blephex kind of tool?

Also the website doesn't have a description or video on its working principle. A renowned manufacturer won't be so casual regarding advertising a product without illustrating its action schematically.
                ​​​​​

Comment

https://www.medicaldevice-network.co...eye-treatment/

I found this, which again doesn’t really say how it works, but does mention upcapping glands so I agree with what’s written above that it seems like an at home blephex type of thing.

Comment

Even though it seems like a rotating debridement tool for cleaning up the lid margins and gland orifices from the hints in the description it might be conclusive that it's actually a massaging tool. The description talks about massaging and rejuvenating the meibomian glands. Not sure how a massage would make a significant difference since finger based massaging has no dramatic effects for the millions of MGD sufferers worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701
                      Just found this article:

INDUSTRY INSIDER NuSight Medical’s Robert M. Foster

By Ophthalmology Management staff October 1, 2018

Ophthalmology Management: For those who are unfamiliar, could you explain how the NuLids System works?

Robert M. Foster: The NuLids System is a unique, clinically validated, doctor prescribed, home-use treatment for meibomian gland dysfunction and blepharitis.
                      The NuLids Starter Kit, which includes the handpiece and a 30-day supply of NuLids Daily Disposable Soft-tips, can be purchased through participating ophthalmology offices, where doctors can provide the device directly to patients. Alternatively, patients with a doctor’s prescription for NuLids can order the starter kit directly from NuSight.
                      NuLids’ sub-sonic oscillating tip is applied for 15 seconds to each lid margin and/or eyelash margin, depending upon the doctor’s orders. After the one-minute treatment, the soft-tip is disposed of and replaced with a fresh soft-tip for the next day’s treatment.

OM: The NuLids System is intended to be used at-home — what do you see as the advantages for this kind of treatment?
                      RF: What makes NuLids so exciting is that it helps solve problems for both the doctor and the patient. Patients are constantly battling their DED [dry eye disease] symptoms and often have them return well before their next scheduled appointment.
                      Dry eye and blepharitis services are largely out-of-pocket for patients and, typically, have a much lower ROI than most services covered by Medicare of third-party insurance.
                      But, by moving this treatment to the home, NuLids helps both the patient and the doctor, giving patients daily relief from DED’s symptoms — and at a reduced cost due to a significant reduction in over-the-counter lubricant and warming mask use. Meanwhile, NuLids creates a new, high-margin revenue stream generated in the patients’ homes while freeing up valuable office space for other more critical treatments.

OM: What NuLids clinical trial data can you share?
                      RF: Data from our in-house NuLids I study was presented as a poster at ASCRS 2017. It showed statistically significant reductions in dry eye signs and symptoms; among these were an improved tear-film breakup time from 6 seconds to 10.8 seconds.
                      The NuLids II study, presented as a poster at ASCRS 2018, showed even more compelling data. It demonstrated an 81% increase in meibomian glands yielding liquid secretions, a 65% increase in tear-film breakup time and a twofold reduction in OSDI scores compared to pre-trial baseline. Further, 95% of subjects found NuLids to be easy and comfortable to use and were either satisfied or very satisfied following treatment.

OM: Do you think home treatment devices like NuLids will be more common in the future?
                      RF: I attended a presentation at ASCRS 2017 that analyzed the effect of declining reimbursement rates on eye-care physicians, and it found that a practice in 2017 looking to make the same revenue as it did in 2007 would need to see 47% more patients than it did 10 years ago.
                      We believe that our new paradigm of doctor-directed, at-home use will become a fundamental part of the ophthalmic landscape as it lets physicians send patients home with safe and effective treatments, creates greater efficiency in health-care delivery and allows practices to focus doctor and staff time on higher-margin procedures best performed in the office. Products like NuLids help “attach” a patient to a providing clinic, since they’re getting quick, reliable relief from that device.
                      In effect, NuSight Medical is helping doctors and their patients by creating a “borderless office” in which superior patient care is delivered to patients at a low cost while creating new, high-margin revenue streams for practices.

More
                      https://www.ophthalmologymanagement....dustry-insider
                      Good find!

Have to wait for more independent clinical studies. Not sure about the long term side effects of the procedure.
                      ​​​​

Comment

I've just tried this and it is like an at home Blephex. Almost like passing an electric toothbrush along your lid margins (but with a very soft tip not bristles!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
                          I've just tried this and it is like an at home Blephex. Almost like passing an electric toothbrush along your lid margins (but with a very soft tip not bristles!)
                          So does it make a difference?

Comment

3 days in I'd say very tentatively yes. My eyes are so blurry now after a hot compress which I assume is oil finally getting out my glands. I'm doing other stuff that has been helping so maybe it's all of it in combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
                              3 days in I'd say very tentatively yes. My eyes are so blurry now after a hot compress which I assume is oil finally getting out my glands. I'm doing other stuff that has been helping so maybe it's all of it in combination.
                              This has me motivated to try it...it’s not super expensive if it works. Thanks for posting..May I ask what else you’re doing in combination with this that you believe is helping?

Comment

Working...
                              X