Best Hot compress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Hot compress

Hi I am baffled by the number of hot compresses out there but which one does the job by heating to the desirable temperature for the correct amount of time. I will pay anything if I'd does what it should.

Get a bruder mask and a laser thermometer.

If you are in the usa its very easy to buy both on amazon.

Comment

What makes the bruder a good eye mask? Pls tell me it’s not one of those microwavable ones?

Comment

Hi Claddgh
        According to Dr Korb, MGD expert & inventor of LipiFlow/LipiView the best best is 'bundle method', there is a video at youTube.
        However, he considers Blephasteam is useful too - which is my favourate.
        More, http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...ueeze-lids-etc

strongly suggest you watch his 4 videos (2016) I have posted.
        Last edited by MGD1701; 21-Aug-2018, 12:01.

Comment

I've used every method I can think of, hot shower, bundle method (works great, too cumbersome), traquileyes XL (cannot control heat, cannot reheat quickly or with accuracy), the knock off bruder mask (it's half the price on amazon, but it's poorly made, loses heat faster than bruder) and the bruder.

The bruder mask and a laser thermometer have been the best method. I can heat the mask quickly, I can reheat easily, it covers my lids completely on both eyes, easy to clean, etc.

I have not used blephasteam, it wouldn't be hot enough for me I'm afraid. But that's a great system if you got 700 bucks laying around.

The key key to the compress is accuracy and precision. You cannot go too hot or you'll burn the lids or increase inflammation. If you go too cold, it's ineffective. So the key is to play with the temps and times to see what works best. I heat mine to 45C then apply it for 5 minutes then repeat 2 more time. That's what works for me. Afterward I massage the lids lightly, use saline to clean the crud out of my eye then clean my lids with avenova...when it's all done, a drop of serum in each eye.

Comment

Dowork123 - thanks man just what I was looking for. When you reheat do u quickly run to the microwave? Also how long do u massage for?

Comment

Originally posted by SirDryEye View Post
              Dowork123 - thanks man just what I was looking for. When you reheat do u quickly run to the microwave? Also how long do u massage for?
              I should be able to get to the PO today or tomorrow FYI.

as for the compress, everyone's microwave is going to be different. Even my microwave is different day to day. That's why I still use the thermometer. But generally I do 20 seconds, then 10, then 10. Once it's warm it's much easier to get up to temp.

The massage I do for a minute or so. I make sure I feel oil coming out. If I don't notice oil pouring out, I probably didnt do my compress right I've found. Matter of fact, if I don't see a yellow stain on my compress, I didn't clear the glands. Yes, my oil stains my compress yellow. That's why I have two, I use one for a day or two, clean the other one and let it hang dry then change them out.

Comment

MGD1701 how do you find the blethasteam

Comment

Originally posted by Claddagh View Post
                  MGD1701 how do you find the blethasteam
                  If you’re in the USA amazon has them for around 650-720 USD.

Comment

Claddagh
                    It depends on where you live so others might help. Could try Amazon, eBay, chemist/pharmacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
                      The bruder mask and a laser thermometer have been the best method. I can heat the mask quickly, I can reheat easily, it covers my lids completely on both eyes, easy to clean, etc.

I heat mine to 45C then apply it for 5 minutes then repeat 2 more time.
                      Dowork123 , did you check how long the useful heat lasts with a bruder mask (how fast it cools?)? You say you apply initially heated mask for 5 minutes, does it means it stays at desired temperature for that long? Also, how long the bruder mask itself lasts? I.e. does it needs to be replaced after certain amount of uses?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post

Dowork123 , did you check how long the useful heat lasts with a bruder mask (how fast it cools?)? You say you apply initially heated mask for 5 minutes, does it means it stays at desired temperature for that long? Also, how long the bruder mask itself lasts? I.e. does it needs to be replaced after certain amount of uses?
                        I heat to 50c and let it cool to 42. If I hear right to 42, it cannot maintain the heat. This is also why Bruder brand pad is important. You need the beads densely packed, again, to retain heat. Usually, the effective heat lasts from 8-13 minutes. I chose the temperature at 42 because the meibum melts at 38. So starting a bit high, it should be in the rage for a good portion of the session. As the temp fades, the lids are still hotter than they began so even as the temp drops it’s gelpjng to melt the meibum. I make sure to keeep the mask on my face until it is completely cool. Another thing I noticed, if I pulled the mask off too soon, the temperature difference between my eyes and the environment would cause more evaporation.

Here’s what’s important...
                        use a bruder pad
                        get to 50c or so then let it drop to 42 then apply
                        dont trust the number, make sure you feel almost no heat when you apply the pad. If you apply it to your lids and you immediately feel heat, it’s too hot. You should apply it and very slowly you should feel gentle heat penetrate the lids.
                        Express your glands by pressing the lids in quadrants gently, no rubbing.
                        Immediately wash eyes with addipak saline
                        add serum or eyedeop of your choice.
                        Be careful not to use a hypochlorous acid spray too close to using the pad.

the pad will last 30-60 days. Depends on how much you clean it among other factors. But you’ll notice it jist wont hold heat right anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X