Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your job/ career? Is it suitable for dry eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your job/ career? Is it suitable for dry eyes?

Am interested in what other dry eye sufferers do for a living and whether its something they would recommend to other sufferers or what they would recommend instead, I am going through a career change and unfortunately this is something I have to really take into consideration, whether looking at a screen all day would be more or less tolerable than an outdoor job dealing with wind/ cold all day, or a mix of both?

Ideally you need to avoid using computer screens but there are ways to work around this. I often find it easier to print the screen off and read it as paper. Perhaps you could get into presenting/public speaking/agency type
    jobs where u spend a lot of time interacting with clients face to face

whats your dream? Qualifications?

Also...MOISTURE GLASSES/GOGGLES ARE ESSENTIAL!

Try to completely limit screen time at home so you can turn up to work fresh.

How bad is your condition?

Comment

If you already have dry eye issues....please avoid screens as much as possible!!!! Watch Dr Korbs 4 part video and you will understand why and how computers destroy eyes. Watch it all even part 4 which is Q&A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSShGZfxiFg

Comment

Unfortunately most of my dream jobs involve computers and I love technology, also I use wrap around sunglasses but find total moisture goggles make it worse unfortunately, as I think the tears I have are bad quality so keeping them on their must amplify things, so working in the wind is also painful.

Comment

Originally posted by SirDryEye View Post
          Ideally you need to avoid using computer screens but there are ways to work around this. I often find it easier to print the screen off and read it as paper. Perhaps you could get into presenting/public speaking/agency type
          jobs where u spend a lot of time interacting with clients face to face

whats your dream? Qualifications?

Also...MOISTURE GLASSES/GOGGLES ARE ESSENTIAL!

Try to completely limit screen time at home so you can turn up to work fresh.

How bad is your condition?
          Now that's interesting. You are facing more troubles while staring at screens but you find it easier to read printed documents whereas both are known to cause a decrease in blink rates.

Does it mean there's more to the cause behind dry eyes other than just a decrease in blink rates?

I personally agree with your experience to some extent but cannot explain what a digital screen does extra your to make dry one's dry eyes worse other than demanding a decrease in blink rates.

Comment

Originally posted by alex123711 View Post
            Unfortunately most of my dream jobs involve computers and I love technology, also I use wrap around sunglasses but find total moisture goggles make it worse unfortunately, as I think the tears I have are bad quality so keeping them on their must amplify things, so working in the wind is also painful.
            My dream jobs require hours of reading. I am also quite depressed due to this issue.

Do you have an aqueous deficiency or MGD or both?
            ​​​​​
            ​​

Comment

Milo007 For me personally, I find reading from paper slightly better than screens. Maybe my eyes relax more when reading from paper. At the end of day there’s only really a few things u can do to make it bearable:

1. Place eye drops in the eye before beginning computer session
              2. Regular breaks (NO MORE THAN 20 MINS)
              3. Humidifier/Moisture goggles
              4. Print off screen and read (for me)

when ur eyes have had enough you should stop don’t carry on

Comment

Office employee checking in. I work on the computer 40 hours per week with very little overtime fortunately.

Biggest help for me is taking screen breaks regularly. I installed the 'eyeCare' Google Chrome addon that others have mentioned and it's a life saver. It pops up on the right corner of my monitor regardless of what I'm working on (Microsoft Excel, ERP programs etc.). I set it to alert me every 10 minutes to take a break.

Besides this, keeping my eyes moist with Refresh Advanced drops every 25-30 minutes and limiting screen time outside of work and getting a solid rest each night has enabled me to continue working in the office environment.

Obviously any type of office work with computer usage is very tough on the eyes, so I wouldn't say it's a dry eye favoring career. Being a finance major and investing all of the time and money in education and building my career is the main reason I continue to work in the atmosphere. I am optimistic that more advanced forms of dry eye treatment will continue to hit the market in the coming years to help make this type of work more manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by SirDryEye View Post
                  Milo007 For me personally, I find reading from paper slightly better than screens. Maybe my eyes relax more when reading from paper. At the end of day there’s only really a few things u can do to make it bearable:

1. Place eye drops in the eye before beginning computer session
                  2. Regular breaks (NO MORE THAN 20 MINS)
                  3. Humidifier/Moisture goggles
                  4. Print off screen and read (for me)

when ur eyes have had enough you should stop don’t carry on
                  Excellent advice. Honestly, I would recommend it to anyone. Even the eyedrops maybe. I’ve had several friends with “normal” eyes use my PF vials to find relief from burning.

Comment

You can also download a blink reminder that goes on your screen and the little eye blinks regularly.

True Milo reading is also bad for your eyes but I think the light from the computer screen compounds the problem. I find I am much more tolerant of reading from paper than the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                      You can also download a blink reminder that goes on your screen and the little eye blinks regularly.

True Milo reading is also bad for your eyes but I think the light from the computer screen compounds the problem. I find I am much more tolerant of reading from paper than the computer.
                      Yes I have noticed that because when you have dry eyes you have corneal inflammation and develop light sensitivity. So the back light compounds the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Yes I have noticed that because when you have dry eyes you have corneal inflammation and develop light sensitivity. So the back light compounds the problem.
                        Exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
                          Office employee checking in. I work on the computer 40 hours per week with very little overtime fortunately.

Biggest help for me is taking screen breaks regularly. I installed the 'eyeCare' Google Chrome addon that others have mentioned and it's a life saver. It pops up on the right corner of my monitor regardless of what I'm working on (Microsoft Excel, ERP programs etc.). I set it to alert me every 10 minutes to take a break.

Besides this, keeping my eyes moist with Refresh Advanced drops every 25-30 minutes and limiting screen time outside of work and getting a solid rest each night has enabled me to continue working in the office environment.

Obviously any type of office work with computer usage is very tough on the eyes, so I wouldn't say it's a dry eye favoring career. Being a finance major and investing all of the time and money in education and building my career is the main reason I continue to work in the atmosphere. I am optimistic that more advanced forms of dry eye treatment will continue to hit the market in the coming years to help make this type of work more manageable.

Thanks for your reply, hopefully more can add similiar.

Comment

You could try moisture glasses with lens which can block blue light.
                            Last edited by MGD1701; 25-Sep-2018, 04:24.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                              You could try polarized moisture glasses to block blue light.

Do you have any recommendations?

I currently use f.lux for decreasing the blue light on my computer:

https://justgetflux.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X