Azasite Shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite Shortage?

So I finally went in and got a prescription for Azasite to help my MGD and inflamed eyelids. When I went to fill the script, no pharmacy had any, and they said it was back ordered indefinitely. No one knows when it will be available again - I even called the company that makes it. I did manage to find one bottle a CVS had left in their refrigerator - the only bottle for miles around - liquid gold. So I took it. But I'm not sure if it will be enough for my 2-4 week program. How many drops are in a bottle? Anyone know?
    sigpic

Yes ive heard there is a shortage.

Not sure about the volume.

you could try the pills as well.

Comment

You can probably get it compounded, it'll be cheaper than AzaSite as well.

Comment

It will last you well over two weeks if you apply it one drop to your finger then smear and apply.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
          You can probably get it compounded, it'll be cheaper than AzaSite as well.
          The problem is the compounded carrier will not be as good as azasites carrier...but may not matter, worth a shot.

Comment

How do you get things compounded? Do you call a compounding pharmacy and ask?

Comment

Yes, is perhaps the most common antibiotic, its easy for them to compound it. Even if delivery vehicle isn't as good, one strategy is just to double the dosage frequency at 1/2 the dose concentration.

Comment

Unfortunately when I called and asked my local compounding pharmacy if they could make a compounded version of Azasite they said, No, they don't do that.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kkahthesea View Post
                  Unfortunately when I called and asked my local compounding pharmacy if they could make a compounded version of Azasite they said, No, they don't do that.
                  Ask around, I believe you can get it mail order in the states.

Comment

Many compounding pharmacies do not do eye drops, they need to have the right equipment, approvals, etc. People’s Custom RX in Tennessee has this list online of all the ophthalmic drops they compound, including PF Azithromycin. Looks like they will also ship using FedEx and UPS.

https://peoplescustomrx.com/doc/kg1-...-Full-List.pdf

https://www.peoplescustomrx.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

Ask around, I believe you can get it mail order in the states.
                      They don’t compound lotoprednol either sadly..you may find someone who does if you keep looking..but again, if you got a bottle, you’re fine, you have enough for your course. Also, azasite is not a cure, it’s an adjunct therapy to help unlclog stubboeb glands. If you dont attack the root of the problem, the glands will recap. So don’t get too hung up on weather you get this drug or not.

EDIT: Hokucat posted it above, this is the pharmacy one of my doctors uses.

Comment

If I treat both the upper and the lower eyelids, do I need one drop for the upper and then another drop for the lower? If I put it on my finger and rub across the upper eyelid, will enough still get on the lower lids? I want to be sure to treat the upper eyelids because this is where my problem is worse. But I also want the lowers to get their share because they could benefit too. What about using a Q-tip? Would just one drop do both upper and lower?
                        sigpic

Comment

I have the same question about how exactly to use the Azasite! Should you just put a drop in the eye and let it spread to the eyelids, or should you directly apply to the eyelid? If the latter, what is the best way to do this hygenically (and without poking your eye)? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

Wash your hands, dry them, apply/spread to lower eye lid . Blink afterwards to spread it out.

Azyter is easier, its PF-format and you can easily apply 1 drop into your lower eye lid easily.

Comment

Originally posted by karilynn26 View Post
                              I have the same question about how exactly to use the Azasite! Should you just put a drop in the eye and let it spread to the eyelids, or should you directly apply to the eyelid? If the latter, what is the best way to do this hygenically (and without poking your eye)? Any insight would be appreciated.
                              Apply a drop to your finger, use the other finger to smear the drop on both. Pull down lower lid of the eye, swipe drug across lower lid only, then close eye and rub remaining into lash line. Repeat with other finger on other eye. You only need one drop for both eyes, just spread it across both fingers, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X