Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel and Dry Eyes (Yes, You Can Even Go to Developing Countries and Survive!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can usually figure it out these days... I just really have to watch out for air quality issues.
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:15.

Comment

• SAAG,
      I suppose our eyes are dry and sensitive to register even such little and gradual change.

By the way, I remember you lost one of your plugs while you were in Penang. I have lost mine few days ago too after I rubbed my eye and the overflow just stopped suddenly! How can we be sure the plug came out and not into the tear duct. Did you see the plug?

I notice that whenever I have sore throat, the eyes tend to flare up. Not sure if you experience the same.

Comment

• SAAG,
        one thing to check with you. After being plugged/cauterized for the past 6 years, have your tear amount stayed relatively the same ?

Comment

• re: lost plugs

I seems to recall noticing something tiny and hard when I wiped my eye... other than that, all you can do as far as I know is ask your dr. to look for it and hope he's right if he says it's gone.

Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:15.

Comment

• Hi SAAG,
            Re plugs - the doctor said is gone. I suppose so as I can feel so much of the tear drops into my throat when I apply it. Well, the bad news is the replaced plug was gone again yesterday. I don't see any of the plug out again. There is no way to verify if the plug was out or in.

Now, the question is whether should I go for cautery. The plugs in my eyes are not 100% sealed, meaning I can feel a little drops in my throat whenever I apply it, I wonder if the doctor is able to do cautery then open a string size hole.

The lower punctum cautery that the doctor did for my 2 eyes had been closed since day 1. He said he did open closed tear ducts for patients who complained too much flow. Have you heard of people opening string size hole? Did they do it after cautery or during the procedure?

Comment

• Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
              Hi SAAG,
              Re plugs - the doctor said is gone. I suppose so as I can feel so much of the tear drops into my throat when I apply it. Well, the bad news is the replaced plug was gone again yesterday. I don't see any of the plug out again. There is no way to verify if the plug was out or in.
              Sorry to hear that!

Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
              Have you heard of people opening string size hole? Did they do it after cautery or during the procedure?
              Don't know, sorry! Maybe someone else in the forums has some experience with that...

Comment

• Just wanted to plug a product that I just started using a month ago, called Hydro Flask. It's a super-insulated thermos that you can use to store your serum tears or other drops while you're traveling. I actually have a couple of them. The smaller one I use for local travel and is filled with a block of solid ice and always kept in the freezer; the larger one is kept outside the fridge and filled with ice cubes for plane rides.

You can find them at REI or Amazon.

What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
                Dry Eye Survey
                IPL Doctors
                Probing Doctors

Comment

• Hi!

I'm heading off to South East Asia to live and work. I rely on hylo forte drops for my dry eyes (lasek 2 years ago). The box says to store them under 25 C which I'm worried about what with the heat in Asia. At work and in the flat, there will be a fridge, I'm sure but I'm concerned about walking to work and what will happen to my drops in my bag. I just don't think I'll have time to freeze them everyday as my job starts at 7am. I guess I'm worried about any possible bacteria with the heat.

In Spain last year, temperatures were definitely above 25C and my drops whilst hot seemed ok. Were your PF drops ok in your bag while walking around in the heat?

Many thanks and thanks for all your inspiring posts.

Comment

• I carried only as many as needed, and as always, was super careful about hygiene with the drops (no touching the dropper tip etc.
                    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:14.

Comment

• Rules for ice packs, etc, in carry on and checked luggage:
                      https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...canibring/food

"Gel Ice Packs
                      • Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
                      • Checked Bags: Yes

Frozen liquid items are allowed through the checkpoint as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements."

Many hotels, etc will allow you to put ice packs in the freezer before flights. I've only had issues when doing long haul flights where the ice pack partially melted and then I needed to take a flight that required me to go through security again (entering the country from Mexico, for instance). It's unfortunate because the better ice packs are large but when I know I'm going to have to go through security more than once, I use many of the smaller ice packs. Sometimes lounges / bars will allow you to place them in fridges / freezers while you wait between flights.

Comment

• If you need to order something from the DryEyeShop, Rebecca ships internationally.
                        Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meow

My eyes are a problem especially when I travel but I don't let it stop me. As you've said, fight back and live a full life. Don't let eye problems stop you.
                          Rebecca Petris

Does this user's posts seem suspicious to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Rebecca Petris

Does this user's posts seem suspicious to you?
                            Agreed. New user joined today. Both posts seem a bit random, like making small talk... they don't seem legit. I tried flagging the posts, but got an error message saying I don't have permission to do it Rebecca Petris

Comment

• Thanks! I'll deal with them. Rats... I will see if I can find out why flagging isn't working.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

• This post is really a question for SAAG.

My wife, Kathy and I are in Melbourne and, after some years of consideration and research, were planning to move to southern Queensland this year, as this seems to be the best area in Australia for a dry eye sufferer.

However, now that the bushfires have affected so much of the east coast of Australia, including southern Queensland, we are having second thoughts. We had been to northern NSW and southern Queensland both in 2017 and 2018 and we were always being told that "it is too wet for bushfires here". That seems to have changed now.

I know that you, SAAG, tried living in Malaysia and Thailand and then went to Central America. I am not sure where you are now. But I'd love to know what you think of those places for dry eye, both from the perspective of the climate and the facilities (especially medical).

I am not sure we'd get up and move overseas, but sitting here in Melbourne at the moment, in a haze of smoke from the bushfires, it feels like there is no good place in this country for someone with dry eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X