Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david2404
    replied
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

I'm looking forward to the next generation of these monitors. And also who knows with VR and headsets. Some of this stuff might be easier on the eyes than LCD screens

Leave a comment:

• ostas12345
    replied
    Hey David
    I updated my topic about special eye-friendly monitors with new information and photos of Onyx Boox Mira
    https://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/a...ople-must-read

According to the documentation my Onyx Boox Mira monitor doesn't have backlight but this is good and that what we wanted, right?
    Although Onyx Boox Mira has switchable front light/glow light which is in two modes more blue-like light and more warm-like light. I added photos showing these lights in linked topic. Maybe this frontlight is some kind of fake backlight

I typically use Onyx Boox monitor with all front lights turned off and all text is quite visible to me even in not very bright room's lighting. I haven't used front light much so it's hard for me to say it feels good or bad for the eyes

My case seems to be very similar to Yours. I still feel this constant unpleasant sensation in the eyes. But when I stare at LCD monitors for longer than 10 minutes I start to feel even worse burning sensation, the longer I stare the worse it feels :/
    I use E-Ink most of the time now and it goes quite smoothly on my eyes

I think difference can be that LCD monitors might emit some artificial radiation. Or has improper refresh rate or different, harmful artificial light compared with Your LED lightbar on top of Your monitor. But these are just my unconfirmed theories

Leave a comment:

• david2404
    replied
    Cheers for this update Ostas. I hadn't even heard of the Mira e-ink monitors. They look great. Does yours have a backlight/glowlight? And can you use the this without it hurting your eyes?

I have a bar led light sitting on top of my e-ink monitor as without it it's quite hard to read the text unless you're in a very bright room.

I've had my e-ink monitor for several months now and for me it has literally been life-changing. My eye problems are still there and i still can't look at monitors for any length of time without my eyes burning. But this monitor allows me to do my job which involves a lot of writing.

I'm still not sure what the difference is exactly. I can only assume it's the direct light coming from the monitor and the flickering nature of the light due to the frequency. Because as mentioned, using the LED bar with the e-ink monitor if fine for me.

The big monitor does tie me to my desk though so a smaller monitor might be a nice option for portability.

Leave a comment:

• ostas12345
    replied
    I have a little update for this topic

Recently E-Ink paperlike black & white Onyx Boox Mira monitor was published for sale on the market
    this monitor is quite similar to Dasung E-Ink monitor but it might be a bit cheaper and maybe compatible with more computers, laptops, smartphones in my opinion
    there are two size, versions of Onyx Boox Mira 13.3'' and 25.3'' same as two size versions of Dasung monitors

I currently use Onyx Boox Mira E-Ink 13.3'' monitor and I also confirm that it doesn't hurt my eyes

Very recently a new colorful RLCD (Reflective LCD) monitors from the Sun Vision Display company have been published which doesn't have backlight without harmful light emission

Soon new colorful E-Ink paperlike monitors should become available for sale on the market like Clear Ink - similar to the black and white E-Ink, but this time with a color dyes

Some smartphones and tablets already have colorful E-Ink displays. you can find more information in this cool blog about new alternative non-LCD screens
    https://goodereader.com/blog/product-category​

I created an interesting topic about special eye-friendly monitors in the link below. You can find more information about this here
    https://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/a...ople-must-read

Leave a comment:

• david2404
    replied
    My Dasung 253 (25 inches) monitor finally arrived a few weeks ago. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

I just read your post above orange66. The refresh rate is very good on this monitor. Contrast could be better, but with more ambient light it's pretty good. I've also ordered a lightbar for the top of the monitor.

I'm only using it for typing and web browsing. Any graphics work or videos I still use a normal screen.

But as someone who has had problems with monitors for 20 years this is significant for me. My eyes are so much more relaxed/less sore with this.

Leave a comment:

• orange86
    replied
    i have the dasung paper like HD touch monitor (B&W), it's ok but not ideal as the contrast and refresh rate are poor.
    it cost me £1k to import from USA.

Leave a comment:

• david2404
    replied
    I was reading through people's experiences with the Dasung monitors here yesterday. Seems pretty mixed, but I've gone ahead and ordered a 25.3 inch version of their e-ink monitor from their Indigogo page.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...-ink-monitor#/

It could be terrible or it could be a game changer for me. I'm hopeful of the latter.

They won't ship them until August but I'll report back when it arrives.

David

Leave a comment:

• EyeballKid
    replied
    TCL is coming out with a very interesting android tablet in April, it uses what they call NXTpaper. Basically it's your typical android tablet but with no backlight, it reuses natural light for its display, so they say. Hopefully this technology will gain a following and be used in more products.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• shakenbake
    replied
    Update: I LOVE my Remarkable. It's exactly what I was looking for to take notes and journal. I'm going to look into the Blue Box glasses. I'm purchasing a pair of the moisture chamber Ziena glasses as well.

Leave a comment:

• alex123711
    replied
    I have the dasung paperlike and its definitely better on the eyes, however its small and only black and white, so I use it as the second screen for reading/ writing or pages that don't require colour/ video. I think they are releasing a slightly bigger screen this month.

Leave a comment:

• EyeballKid
    replied
    Originally posted by shakenbake View Post
    Ah I was hoping to find a pretty large monitor. I just purchased the remarkable 2 which is supposed to be eye friendly. Here's the link to it.

https://remarkable.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...xoC9KEQAvD_BwE
    Alright, just keep in mind the Remarkable is almost purely for note taking.

As far as monitors go, there’s pretty much just Dasung, and it maxes out at 13.3”. There’s also the Onyx Boox Max, which does note taking and has Android, but I’ve heard mixed opinions on it as a monitor.

As a sidenote I have an Onyx Boox Note; and e ink most certainly helps with eye strain. To a lesser degree there is BluBlox glasses, the pure red ones, which lets me use my ipad a bit longer. These blow my old Gunnars away.

Leave a comment:

• shakenbake
    replied
    Ah I was hoping to find a pretty large monitor. I just purchased the remarkable 2 which is supposed to be eye friendly. Here's the link to it.

https://remarkable.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...xoC9KEQAvD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• EyeballKid
    replied
    Originally posted by shakenbake View Post
    Hey! My company will cover the cost of an e-ink monitor if it helps with productivity. The original link isn't working for me; I was wondering if someone could provide a new one?
    I'm guessing the link was for the Dasung Paperlike HD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKS6CS7..._-cRYFbR0MP6PG

Leave a comment:

• shakenbake
    replied
    Hey! My company will cover the cost of an e-ink monitor if it helps with productivity. The original link isn't working for me; I was wondering if someone could provide a new one?

Leave a comment:

• alex123711
    replied
    Originally posted by hezza View Post
    I can't live a modern-day life without that. I'm currently writing this on the pro version and for me it's worth every penny since otherwise even browsing this forum for information gives severe fatigue on my eyes. As someone who is still having a particularly hard time looking at computer monitors this has been a huge relief. Definitely recommend those especially since you're already familiar with EPDs(e-ink screens).
    Are you still using the e ink monitor? How is it going?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X