Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best eye drops/treatment for Evaporative Dry Eye ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@MGD1701 When you say drops for MGD, with lipid, could you please give me a specific product name? Thank you

Comment

Lena11, until yesterday it had not entered my head that there could be "better" doctors out there who could help me. I am going to start a separate thread about Ikervis.
      Thank you everybody for your responses, I have been suffering badly for 10 months now, I am desperately hoping my eyes will feel normal by Christmas....

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
        Lena11, until yesterday it had not entered my head that there could be "better" doctors out there who could help me. I am going to start a separate thread about Ikervis.
        Thank you everybody for your responses, I have been suffering badly for 10 months now, I am desperately hoping my eyes will feel normal by Christmas....
        Not to be a downer, but its likely you will never fully recover. I've accepted that about myself. You need to make lifestyle changes and manage the disease. Some examples you should start immediately are computer breaks and blinking exercises.

The theory is that when we stare at computers, 1] our blinks are partial (i.e., eye lids dont touch), and 2] our blink rate goes way down (i.e., we basically dont blink when we stare at screens). This lack of physical blinking contact is likely the cause of MGD. Changing your lifestyle is critical for your health.

At the moment, there is likely no magical eye drop that can cure you, Cyclosporine (Ikervis/Restasis) , Lifitegrast (Xiidra) and other drugs may be able to help you manage your disease , but unfortunately , in many cases , they are not the cure.

If you indeed have MGD, treatment options you should definitely consider in my opinion are IPL (helps reduce inflammation), Cyclosporine , Lifitegrast should be the initial treatment routine. I am personally on Restasis and Xiidra BID (twice a day), and monthly IPL, I've gone from being bedridden to back to my job 10+ hrs a day in front of the computer. I am definitely not normal or cured, but I am able to function again.

Comment

Hi Alix
          I wroe brand names already.
          EvoTears (pure oil but very expensive)
          Cationorm - no preservatives

Some doctors recommend drops with HA, like Hylo Gel from Ursapharm

ointment, at night you may need need Vit A-POS

Comment

@MGD1701 Thank you, I just googled these, they are very expensive indeed.....
            As for ointments I have tried the main ones, including Vit A POS, Hycosan Night and Xailin but I wake up with even worse bloodshot eyes in the morning, with the same burning sensation so they don't seem to work for me unfortunately.....

Comment

lid hygiene is very important especially if you use ointment.

if your issues are in the morning - likely your lids are not sealed (maybe closed?) when sleep or demodex.
              if your issue is allergy or others but NOT dry eye Ikervis wont help.
              So, get an accurate diagnosis to save money too.

Comment

@MGD1701 I wake up with dry bloodshot eyes which get progressively worse during the day, and look/feel the worst in the evening after work. Obviously working 10h+ in front of a computer in an air conditioned office is exacerbating my situation, but I cannot change jobs.

One of the ophthalmologists told me I had chronic allergy, not dry eye and gave me steroid drops which made my eyes worse.
                Another one who said I had EDE put in punctal plugs but the dry sensation was not alleviated whatsoever and made my eyes itchy instead which means my condition could be allergy related or a combination of allergy and dry eye.

I have eliminated whole food groups to see if it made any difference but I haven't seen any improvements.

All I want is an accurate diagnosis.

Comment

possible you have both allergy and dry eye - sound like you have MGD.
                  moisture chamber glasses helps me with pc work and protect eyes well from dry air etc. strongly recommend it - a must.

allergy- if your dr lift lids and examine then (s)he is likely right - most doctors do not lift lids.

If you really have MGD, master warm compress is the most useful, important.
                  recommend you watch Dr Kob 2016 videos and my earlier posts. Most people perform it incorrectly.

Comment

Alix Have you considered getting your tear ducts cauterised? If the plugs helped at all a more permanent solution like cauterisation may help you. It has helped me about 30% as well as having upper plugs in. If one of my plugs fall out I am sure to know about it! Just a thought

I am also on restatis. I live in Wales and I get this prescription delivered from London to my hospital Glan Clwyd. I am very lucky as I don't have to pay for this, but I would recommend getting Ikervis also.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahmaywils View Post
                      [USER="16520"]
                      I am also on restatis. I live in Wales and I get this prescription delivered from London to my hospital Glan Clwyd. I am very lucky as I don't have to pay for this, but I would recommend getting Ikervis also.
                      So are you on actual branded Restasis? Pretty unusual to get that and not Ikervis in the UK..

Comment

@hannahmaywils I had punctal plugs put in over the summer, but had to have them removed after a month as my eyes felt as gritty as ever and remained bloodshot, what is more they became unbearably itchy. My eyes were very congested. So I am not sure having them cauterised would help because as far as I understand it is irreversible.

Comment

@Meibum Ian Agreed, I thought Restasis was not available in the UK.

Comment

Meibum Ian Yes I have branded restatis 0.05%. Just looking at the box now- has Allergan Inc. on it- seems to real stuff as far as i'm aware! My NHS doctor did say they supply Ikervis, however because of my age he wanted me to go on restatis as I believe it is not as strong as Ikervis ? I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahmaywils View Post
                              Meibum Ian Yes I have branded restatis 0.05%. Just looking at the box now- has Allergan Inc. on it- seems to real stuff as far as i'm aware! My NHS doctor did say they supply Ikervis, however because of my age he wanted me to go on restatis as I believe it is not as strong as Ikervis ? I may be wrong.
                              Yep, 0.05% vs 0.1% of Ikervis. Ikervis normally only used at night though.

Comment

Alix Hm yes I have heard it is irreversible but I had to have mine re-cauterised as they opened again. My Dr said it is your body's own way of healing things. I think it depends on the cauterisation. Again, I think my Dr is careful given my age so maybe used a technique that is reversible.

Comment

Working...
                                X