Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lens - Vision Problem

Another from me

My dry eye is a bit better with the help of moisture chamber and humidifier and etc. Although I still have problem with halo, starburst and ghosting. Starburst and halo are fine. They make my life harder but I can live with them. Ghosting is what killing me. It is hard for me to read and work on computer.

I had an appointment with Scleral lens fitter today. She was telling me in the long run Scleral is going to make your dry eye worth. I should probably use them much even if she would be able to fit me with a good pair which is really sad. I do not know what to do anymore. Reading is so hard for me. I love my job so I do not want to change my career yet. I will cross that bridge if I have too.

Those ones with Scleral lens for vision problem, I was thinking of wearing the lens on my left eye one day and right eye another day. This way maybe I could reduce the damage of the lens on my dry eye.

Have anybody done that?
    I have ghosting in both eyes so do you know wearing one lens can make it better?

Thanks for your help.

Why does your fitter think that sclerals would make your dry eye worse? If it is a true scleral, completely vaulting the cornea and limbus?

I am wearing sclerals (18.5mm) primarily for vision. I have very, very, very heavy ghosting (among other things) and I would not be able to read well enough to work full time without sclerals. They treat my dry eye at the same time. So, I know this is possible, but not necessarily with every type of scleral lens or every lens fitter. Most optometrists fitting scleral lenses are doing it for vision, not for dry eye.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Why does your fitter think that sclerals would make your dry eye worse? If it is a true scleral, completely vaulting the cornea and limbus?

I am wearing sclerals (18.5mm) primarily for vision. I have very, very, very heavy ghosting (among other things) and I would not be able to read well enough to work full time without sclerals. They treat my dry eye at the same time. So, I know this is possible, but not necessarily with every type of scleral lens or every lens fitter. Most optometrists fitting scleral lenses are doing it for vision, not for dry eye.
      It is always nice to hear from you, Rebecca.

I have partial blinking problem and she says wearing lens can exacerbate it and cause my membomian gland to deteriorate further.

She wanted to start with mini Scleral first. I am not sure about the size. We will try it in the next appointment.

Do you think it is possible to wear lens in left eye one day and in the right another day?
      I believe you have Dr G. lens. How many hours a day do you wear them?
      Have you seen much difference in your dry eye condition since you started wearing them?

I have similar ghosting in both eyes. I am still able to see and work without lens but it is not pleasant at all. Especially working with spreadsheet is so hard.

Comment

I think that is a good plan to start with the mini's. If I understand correctly she is not making a pronouncement that sclerals will make your dry eye worse, she is noting that with your incomplete blink the dryness could become worse because of the added vault of the scleral preventing your lids from making good contact and further deteriorating your meibomium glands. Makes perfect sense to me and that is what I was warning of in an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

It is always nice to hear from you, Rebecca.

I have partial blinking problem and she says wearing lens can exacerbate it and cause my membomian gland to deteriorate further.

She wanted to start with mini Scleral first. I am not sure about the size. We will try it in the next appointment.

Do you think it is possible to wear lens in left eye one day and in the right another day?
          Have you seen much difference in your dry eye condition since you started wearing them?

I have similar ghosting in both eyes. I am still able to see and work without lens but it is not pleasant at all. Especially working with spreadsheet is so hard.
          i think she has a PROSE lense and an Eye print pro lense EPP.

For me because of bad insurance reasons Dr G is actually the cheapest. Also his replacement lenses are very cheap. 250-300 usd a lense. Very readonable as my prescription hasnt changed much in 15 years. If i get a good fit im likely to be able to continue getting replacements for a while until i need to see him again.

Comment

Thanks

I will try to minimize my wear time when I got fitted.

Comment

I am a partial blinker and have a low blink rate, with MGD and aqueous deficiency. I have been wearing sclerals (PROSE 18mm) successfully for three years straight, often for 12+ hours a day, and it has not worsened my condition at all. Having the lenses protecting my eyes all day long actually seems to make my eyes feel better even when I am not wearing the lenses and using glasses, at least for a few days. At my last PROSE appointment, my fitter commented how good my corneas looked.

I regularly do blinking exercises both while wearing the sclerals and without, so am assuming that is also helping.

Comment

Any progress/news ebi1368 ?

Possible, yes, but I think it would be difficult to deal with how the vision would shift around.

I have EyePrintPro right now actually. I wear them... more hours than I should. Right now I've had them in for about 15 hours and they've been begging to be removed for about the last 2 or so.

It sure sounds like a good idea to pursue them. I don't know about the size thing. That's a hard call. Personally I'm a big believer in bigger lenses if there's dryness & comfort issues going on. But everyone has different needs.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                  Any progress/news ebi1368 ?

Possible, yes, but I think it would be difficult to deal with how the vision would shift around.

I have EyePrintPro right now actually. I wear them... more hours than I should. Right now I've had them in for about 15 hours and they've been begging to be removed for about the last 2 or so.

It sure sounds like a good idea to pursue them. I don't know about the size thing. That's a hard call. Personally I'm a big believer in bigger lenses if there's dryness & comfort issues going on. But everyone has different needs.
                  Thanks for your follow up Rebecca

I am still waiting for my US visa. I am living in Canada but I am iranian so it is so hard for me to get US visa. I want to go and see Dr G.

My surgeon says my visual symptoms may get better but I read in one of your posts that if it is due to treatment zone I will not see much improvement. How do I know if my vision problem is due to small treatment zone? Nobody could tell me why I am seeing like this. They all say I have no HOA. I was seeing crystal clear for first two month and my eyes dryed out one night and GASH started.

I heard if it is because of irregularties in cornea it may heal over time.

Do you know any doctor in Canada or any country rather than US who can tell me if if my visual symptoms get better or I am stuck with this?

Comment

My surgeon says my visual symptoms may get better but I read in one of your posts that if it is due to treatment zone I will not see much improvement. How do I know if my vision problem is due to small treatment zone? Nobody could tell me why I am seeing like this. They all say I have no HOA. I was seeing crystal clear for first two month and my eyes dryed out one night and GASH started.

I heard if it is because of irregularties in cornea it may heal over time.
                    I said that? Hm. That's weird. Not so - if it's about treatment zone size, that's actually one of the reasons for lenses - we're basically making up for the surface of the cornea by creating an artificially smooth, large optical zone in front of it with the combination of fluid and lens optics. That's how I understand it anyway.

No HOA? That's interesting. We all have HOA in some degree, with or without surgery, and with or without dry eye. I assume they mean not enough to explain your vision... fair enough. And honestly if you had great vision for two months, the likelihood of the vision symptoms all being related to HOA from surgery, probably not too high but who knows.

[/quote]Do you know any doctor in Canada or any country rather than US who can tell me if if my visual symptoms get better or I am stuck with this?[/QUOTE]
                    If you mean whether they'll improve over time... that's a pretty hard thing to predict....
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                    X