Sleep moisture goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep moisture goggles

I have recently been diagnosed with MGD/Evaporative Dry Eye (few meibomian glands left, poor quality lipids) due to partial blinking, and have been told that my condition is uncurable, It can only be managed.

So along with various other things I am trying, I bought moisture goggles to wear at night (Onyx) because I cannot use night ointment due to bad reactions to all of the ones I have tried.

I have worn them twice now, each time, I wake up in the middle of the night and the insides of the goggles are full of liquid (sweat/tears?) and when I take them off, liquid (sweat/tears?) drips down the sides of my face. So I have to wipe up the goggles and my face with a towel, and put the goggles on again. Then when I wake up in the morning it's the same issue.

This I could live with, except that my eyes are still dry, red and burning with pain.

So should I carry on wearing the goggles? Are they more for people with Aqueous deficiency?

By the way I live in London, UK, the temperature is cold here.

I have the same problem. Would like to hear what others say. I used every ointment but my eyelid get puffy and painful

Comment

Ok good to know I am not the only one.
      If they are somehow doing my eyes some good I could carry on wearing them but so far the dryness/redness/pain/burning sensation is exactly the same as before, so I feel they are not serving any purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
        I have recently been diagnosed with MGD/Evaporative Dry Eye (few meibomian glands left, poor quality lipids) due to partial blinking, and have been told that my condition is uncurable, It can only be managed.

So along with various other things I am trying, I bought moisture goggles to wear at night (Onyx) because I cannot use night ointment due to bad reactions to all of the ones I have tried.

I have worn them twice now, each time, I wake up in the middle of the night and the insides of the goggles are full of liquid (sweat/tears?) and when I take them off, liquid (sweat/tears?) drips down the sides of my face. So I have to wipe up the goggles and my face with a towel, and put the goggles on again. Then when I wake up in the morning it's the same issue.

This I could live with, except that my eyes are still dry, red and burning with pain.

So should I carry on wearing the goggles? Are they more for people with Aqueous deficiency?

By the way I live in London, UK, the temperature is cold here.
        I cannot use ointment either. I used to use lacri-lube, but that was discontinued, and now every ointment i try leaves my eye red/sore in the morning.

I used goggles, but I take them off in my sleep, which is very annoying. I also wake up with condensation inside the goggles
        Last edited by jack1988; 06-Oct-2018, 12:16.

Comment

Alix I’ve been wearing swimming goggles for the past 2 days, first day was okay waking up but today was really good. Woke up and eyes were fairly moist which was a nice change. My eyes are still red as hell but that’s the veins in my eyes not inflammation (there’s just so many veins it looks inflamed). I’m not sure what would make people differentiate when it comes to goggles. If one has an aqueous deficiency I can see it helping due to keeping moisture within the eye and if one has mgd I could see it helping due to stopping air from inflaming the glands.

Comment

@Topher3 I am pleased to hear the goggles are working for you. Do you put eye drops or ointment in your eyes before putting the goggles on?

Comment

Hyloforte gel based eye drops are the best eye drops I have ever used. I highly recommend them, I am super sensitive to eyedrops and I mean SUPER sensitive. These are the ONLY drops that work for me. You gotta give it a go if you haven’t they aren’t prescription you can buy them off the shelf. Yes I put eye drops in before bed then put the goggles on. I use these eye drops even when I feel a little uncomfortable to reduce the likelihood of scratching and staining. These eyedrops have helped me so much I wouldn’t be where I am without them.

Comment

I think Hyloforte is called Hycosan in the UK. What is the colour of the one you use? I was recommended this brand as well at the hospital, and I have tried all of them (the best being the red one and the purple one). Whilst I don't react badly to them, they don't have much of an effect on my eyes except provide momentary relief. The latest doctor I saw said they wouldn't have worked for me as they are for Aqueous deficiency whilst I have Evaporative dry eye and so recommended Systane preservative free instead, except my eyes burn even more when I use these.

Comment

30% of people with MGD have aqueous deficiency. When you don’t have enough oils the lacrimal gland goes into overdrive to keep the water on the eyes surface. And eventually the lacrinal gland wears out and an aqueous deficiency is present. Yeah I can’t use systane either my eyes react something fierce. These eye drops don’t last that long for me but they’re the only ones I don’t react bad too.

Comment

Alix have you looked into cornea nueralgia, some people who have dry eye develop cornea neuralgia where the nerves in the cornea are damaged/malfunctioning. Please let me know if you’re experiencing similar symptoms to cornea nueralgia. There are various treatments that may help the symptoms such as a serum made from your blood (eye drops) that help to heal and regenerate the nerve endings. Lots of people have gotten relief from this treatment! I hope you don’t have this but maybe it will spread some information to you about what you may be going through

Comment

I use extra virgin coconut oil on my eyes at night. Then put on lab goggles that dont have a vent.

When i wake up there is a lot of condensation/humidity inside. But that keeps the eyes moist at night.

Then i wake up. Wash my eyes out. Do a warm compress. Then do the hypocholoric acid on a cotton ball to wipe the eyes.

Then cyclosporin drops. Then xiidra. Then lotemax gel. Then throughout the day blood serum drops.

Fun times!

Comment

Topher3 I don't think I have corneal nueraliga - I have burning pain rather than searing pain and I haven't had LASIK. I did ask about blood serum drops, but unfortunately it is not readily available in the UK (takes months and costs too much)

@edmunder Do you have aqueous or evaporative dry eye? I think because I have the evaporative type, this is the reason the goggles are not making any difference......

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
                          Topher3 I don't think I have corneal nueraliga - I have burning pain rather than searing pain and I haven't had LASIK. I did ask about blood serum drops, but unfortunately it is not readily available in the UK (takes months and costs too much)

@edmunder Do you have aqueous or evaporative dry eye? I think because I have the evaporative type, this is the reason the goggles are not making any difference......

Evaporative causes burning. Putting on goggles raises the humidity around the eyes so that when the tears evaporate they still feel moist. You should feel relief wearing goggles. I cant live without mine. Getting sclerals sclerals October 22nd at laser fit in Dallas.

Praying they give me some of my life back.

Comment

If goggles do not give you relief, it is not evaporative dry eye because it should.
                            Dr Korb mentioned it in his old videos 2014 or 2012.
                            There are other symptoms which sound like dry eye but they are not.

Last edited by MGD1701; 20-Oct-2018, 12:55.

Comment

I think that my evaporative dry eye condition is so bad now, that the moisture goggles would not work.
                              I just don't know what else it could be, other than allergy. Only one doctor I have seen up till now has said this could be a possibility.

I am thinking I have a combination of EDE and allergy.

Comment

Working...
                              X