Warm compress morning after plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm compress morning after plugs?

Finally had the upper plug put into my right eye. Procedure was painful, nothing worse than having a needle put into your eye lid! (Local anaesthetic). I still want to continue with the warm compress every morning, however I fear that they will fall out, especially the uppers after massage. Any tips?

Should I just wait a few days?

Comment

Best option is to ask your doctor for an advice. Are they collagen plugs?

I think there's no harm in using a warm compress provided you don't use too high a temperature or use it for too long that melts away the plugs quickly.

Comment

Just be careful doing your lid massage. Try not to knock the plugs out.

Comment

Guys I need a straight yes or no my glands are at risk if I just stop warm compress completely. Experienced members pls advise!

Comment

Also my eyes are really watery. Have to keep dabbing with tissue

Comment

I have plugs and do warm compresses 2x per day with no issues. However, I don't express after the compress. I just do blinking exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by SirDryEye View Post
                Guys I need a straight yes or no my glands are at risk if I just stop warm compress completely. Experienced members pls advise!
                Continue with warm compresses for sure. Remember even if you have a well functioning lacrimal gland it won't be of any use unless you have lipids from meibomian glands to hold the aqueous layer via surface tension. So in the long term meibomian glands have to make a comeback and tear duct plugs are not a great solution to be honest.

Comment

I don't think compresses could do any harm on their own. However, lid massage might be another matter, good to have the dr's input on that. Good luck with the plug! Some overtearing from irritation the first few days is pretty normally, hopefully it all settles down soon.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca the over tearing has settled down now! I’ll start warm compress and then try some blinking exercises!

Comment

Working...
                    X