Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone having an idea what are these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone having an idea what are these?

    Hello everyone once again.


    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHgTshDsWPk



    Please carefully watch the video and read the comments on YouTube.

    Anyone having an idea what exactly are these?

    I get these almost daily and initially I thought these were "solidified" meibum secretions blocking my gland openings. But in the comments in YouTube they are talking about "popping" those cappings with a needle or a nail!

    Are they some kind of lipid filled sacs?

    I have noticed they don't go away even with repeated rubbing of the eyelid margins with a dry q-tip (as if they are flexible) but maybe after a lot of gentle rubbing they suddenly vanish and leave a light yellow residue visible on the white cotton.

    Has anybody experienced something similar to these?

    I am confused because initially I thought they were hardened meibum cappings. And no way hardened cappings could be "popped".


    ​​​​

  • #2
    I have had these a few times as well. No idea what they are, but would like to know. I never popped them and they fortunately went away on their own

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pharmacy91 View Post
      I have had these a few times as well. No idea what they are, but would like to know. I never popped them and they fortunately went away on their own
      Did your dry eye symptoms aggravate when you had these?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes. They occured when I had flare ups. I always found them weird because I thought they were the caps formed from the meibomian glands blockage. But they weren't yellow in appearance and they did look like fluid filled cysts.

        also like you, the comments to the video have confused me as they are saying they just popped them and well to me, they didn't sound like they had dry eyes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pharmacy91 View Post
          Yes. They occured when I had flare ups. I always found them weird because I thought they were the caps formed from the meibomian glands blockage. But they weren't yellow in appearance and they did look like fluid filled cysts.

          also like you, the comments to the video have confused me as they are saying they just popped them and well to me, they didn't sound like they had dry eyes.
          I agree with what you have said.

          But personally I have felt my eyes get drier when I see a number of those cappings blocking my glands. When I gently rub my eyelid margins with a dry q-tip to rub them off I feel much better almost instantly and thereafter a few days.

          I think it could be oil that's trying to come out of the gland orifices but being contained by the bacterial biofilm or the epithelial cells creating a sac like structure.

          Mine are always light yellowish. I do have a history of hyperkeratinization as I had both seborrheic dermatitis and cystic acne. I still have acne but under control. The meibomian cysts could be the result of keratinization at the base of the lid margins.

          The commentators on YouTube maybe have a lot of healthy oil producing meibomian glands intact and not all are getting blocked at once. So I think they don't feel symptoms unlike us who have fewer glands producing more volume of oils. I have also noticed the glands that produce more volume of oils tend to get these blockages more often and these cappings are bigger in size for them.

          Take a look at the picture.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            I get the same cyst like you, however mine is clear. I think you're right. They appear due to the blockage and increasing amount of bacteria. I'm amazed you rub them off. I'm afraid I'll end up making it worse
            ​​

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pharmacy91 View Post
              I get the same cyst like you, however mine is clear. I think you're right. They appear due to the blockage and increasing amount of bacteria. I'm amazed you rub them off. I'm afraid I'll end up making it worse
              ​​
              I tried to pop one a week ago with a sterile needle. Guess what? It popped!

              These are lipid filled cysts formed by keratinization or bacterial biofilm. The bigger ones can be actually popped but the tiny ones usually go away with gentle rubbing of the eyelid margins.

              I don't know what other option could one have instead of mechanically remove them as a blephex treatment would do. Leaving them as they are would probably make your time worse as they would clog your glands for several days or weeks until they grow bigger and puncture. This will continue as a cycle of gland blockage indefinitely. I don't have access to hylochypochlorous acid yet but I assume that an HOCl based lid margin treatment would help avoid these cysts.

              Comment

              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X