IPL and doxycycline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL and doxycycline

Hi I know there are quite a few posts here already about IPL but I thought I would start a new thread as it is quite specific.

I want to get IPL treatment, but I am also taking doxycycline, which means my skin is photosensitive.
    I read on one clinic's website that you should stop taking it 3 days before treatment, somewhere else it said one week - the information available is not clear.
    I am now worried as I do not want to risk burning my skin (burning eyes is bad enough!).

Has anyone had IPL done while on doxycycline, and if so how many days before IPL did you stop taking it, and then after how many days did you start re-taking it post treatment?

Originally posted by Alix View Post
    Hi I know there are quite a few posts here already about IPL but I thought I would start a new thread as it is quite specific.

I want to get IPL treatment, but I am also taking doxycycline, which means my skin is photosensitive.
    I read on one clinic's website that you should stop taking it 3 days before treatment, somewhere else it said one week - the information available is not clear.
    I am now worried as I do not want to risk burning my skin (burning eyes is bad enough!).

Has anyone had IPL done while on doxycycline, and if so how many days before IPL did you stop taking it, and then after how many days did you start re-taking it post treatment?
    I had the same issue. My doctor told me I have to stop doxy at least one week before IPL. You can go on doxy again but it is better to wait at least a week after your last IPL. Because IPL makes you sensitive to sun as well as doxy. So the combination might make you super sensitive.

Comment

Hi ebi1368 I am gaining new information all the time here, thank you. I have sensitive skin anyway so maybe I should wait 2 weeks then.
      It is annoying as I only started taking doxy 3 weeks ago, so I would ideally like to carry on taking it for at least 3 months non stop to see if it makes a meaningful difference.
      On the other hand IPL may help me more. They said at the dry eye clinic that they have seen that it works well on only about 50% of patients, so there is no guarantee.
      Frustrating times...

Comment

Hi ebi1368 I am gaining new information all the time here, thank you. I have sensitive skin anyway so maybe I should wait 2 weeks then.
        It is annoying as I only started taking doxy 3 weeks ago, so I would ideally like to carry on taking it for at least 3 months non stop to see if it makes a meaningful difference.
        On the other hand IPL may help me more. They said at the dry eye clinic that they have seen that it works well on only about 50% of patients, so there is no guarantee.
        Frustrating times...
        You can switch to Azithromycin . Its better than Doxy. It's also available in topical form depending on the country you are from.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

You can switch to Azithromycin . Its better than Doxy. It's also available in topical form depending on the country you are from.
          I suppose so but that would mean going back to the hospital and seeing another doctor, I just don't have the time or energy.

Comment

My doctor told me they would not do IPL on me if I am taking any antibiotic. I am not sure it is true for azithromycin.

Comment

Frustrating times...
              IPL is much faster than Doxy and seems to be more effective. Many people got helped from IPL. Hopefully you will be one of them. Finger crossed

Comment

Azithromycin also can cause sensitivity to sunlight taken as a pill. Not a doctor but if you check doxy and its half life (about 18 hours) one week should be more than fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

My doctor told me they would not do IPL on me if I am taking any antibiotic. I am not sure it is true for azithromycin.
                  Doxy is known to be light sensitive (easily google-able). Azithromycin (and most other antibiotics) don't have this problem.

Comment

Doxy is known to be light sensitive (easily google-able). Azithromycin (and most other antibiotics) don't have this problem.

Not sure about that, a google search led me to this website - Azithromycin is in the list of antibiotics which causes photosensitivity.

http://www.fixlaserskincenter.com/dr...tosensitivity/

Here in the UK, they are not specific about which antibiotics, just that any type of antibiotic use must be discontinued prior to IPL.

Comment

Steriod drop will not be an issue pirot to IPL? Anyone knows? Thanks.
                      Last edited by MGD1701; 19-Oct-2018, 02:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                        Steriod will not be an issue pirot to IPL? Anyone knows? Thanks.
                        Steriod cream or drop?

Comment

steroid drop.

Comment

I don’t think so but I would ask dr as well

Comment

I had IPL treatments and never stopped the Doxy. No one ever told be to and I never noticed anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X