Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of swollen eyelids?

Hey!

My upper eyelids are little swollen and little bit red. Can anyone suggest what to do in order to get rid of swelling? Cold compresses don't help.

Originally posted by Merka View Post
    Hey!

My upper eyelids are little swollen and little bit red. Can anyone suggest what to do in order to get rid of swelling? Cold compresses don't help.
    try applying raw manuka honey on your lashes. Also wash your hair and face with tea tree shampoo. I used to have lid swelling but it is completely gone now.

Comment

Which tea tree shampoo do you use?

Comment

I have had swollen lids for over a year now. Its been awful. They are slowly going down.
        This is what I have had to do:

Doxycycline 50mg for 6-9 months
        Blephasteam (hot compress made them swell)
        Tea tree shampoo, conditioner and body wash (Doctor Organic from Holland and Barrett)
        Change pillow cases every night
        Tie hair back for bed
        Use tea tree wipes (Superdrug sensitive)
        Avoid hot air (no hair dryer, no fan on in car)
        Lots of fresh cool air
        Radiators off in room
        Windows open at night
        Blephex treatment
        No stress
        Antioxidant vitamins
        Omega 3 vitamins
        Plenty of water
        Only wash face in cold water
        Use coconut oil on lashes at night
        Strict lid hygiene
        Demodex and bacteria have been part of my problem, three opthalmologists missed the demodex, finally an optician spotted them.
        My swelling was very severe and has caused me great pain and discomfort, it has took a long time for the swelling to come down and my eyes still swell up uncomfortably now, I had a good few days sunday - wednesday. Today they feel sore again.

Hope you can get the swelling down, its been a frustrating few years, im still not out of it but things are a bit better
        Last edited by cathy8889; 05-Feb-2015, 03:27. Reason: add something to list
        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Hi xpro,

Im glad your swelling has gone down, mine has been terrible. How severe was yours? How long did it take for it to go down please?

Ive been trying since May last year

Thanks
          Cath

Originally posted by xpro View Post
          try applying raw manuka honey on your lashes. Also wash your hair and face with tea tree shampoo. I used to have lid swelling but it is completely gone now.

Comment

I am going to try manuka honey. I wanted to ask how i should use it? I was thinking that 1 teaspoon honey melted in small amount boiled water, then I can apply it with Q-tip. But how long I should leave it on my lashed and how many times per day i should do this procedure? And how long time it took you to get the swelling down?

I also have virgin coconut oil at home. Going to use that too and tea tree shampoo is also great idea.

Comment

Thanks! I was thinking about doxy. It is often used to change the fatty acid oil composition of the meibomian glands, allowing the fluid to flow better, but it can cause sore eyes and eyelid swelling.

Comment

My swelling was moderate. It took a few months to completely get rid of it. Also stress played a role in it for me as well.

For applying honey, I used to wash my eyes and hands with antibacterial soap. I then put a small amount of honey on my finger and used my finger to spread on my lashes while my eyes were still wet from washing them. If they feel sticky after they dry just wash our hands again and remove any excess honey. I used to leave it on 24/7. Applies once in the morning and once at night.

As for tea tree shampoo I used "nywele tea tree shampoo" but they are quite hard to find unfortunately. Any other shampoo with good amount of tea tree should work.

Comment

Thanks xpro for the advice on the honey, do you use just a jar of honey that you would eat or a sterilised manuka honey like this one please http://www.newzealandhoneyshop.co.uk...cal-honey.html

Thanks

My swelling was moderate. It took a few months to completely get rid of it. Also stress played a role in it for me as well.

For applying honey, I used to wash my eyes and hands with antibacterial soap. I then put a small amount of honey on my finger and used my finger to spread on my lashes while my eyes were still wet from washing them. If they feel sticky after they dry just wash our hands again and remove any excess honey. I used to leave it on 24/7. Applies once in the morning and once at night.

As for tea tree shampoo I used "nywele tea tree shampoo" but they are quite hard to find unfortunately. Any other shampoo with good amount of tea tree should work.

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
                    Thanks xpro for the advice on the honey, do you use just a jar of honey that you would eat or a sterilised manuka honey like this one please http://www.newzealandhoneyshop.co.uk...cal-honey.html

Thanks
                    Personally I used one that I just eat. Keep in mind that not all honey are the same. I once tried one honey that I bought from a store and it did not work at all. You should start feeling the honey work within 30 minutes or so. make sure it is raw.

Comment

Steroids might help. Once when my lid swelled up, presumably just from dry-eye related irritation, I used steroids for a couple days and the swelling went down quickly. In it helped to break the inflammation -> irritation -> more inflammation -> more irritation cycle, however it doesn't fix the underlying problem and is not a long-term option (unless you like cadaracts and blindness). Anyway, it's something that you could ask your doctor about if you think it might help you too.

Comment

I'd be trying cucumber and teabags before steroid. Although we have had to use steroid on/off to save the eye surface, not looking forward to cataracts later in life. The doc says no prob, he can fix them (thousands of $ or £). That's the way they think.
                        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Merka View Post
                          Thanks! I was thinking about doxy. It is often used to change the fatty acid oil composition of the meibomian glands, allowing the fluid to flow better, but it can cause sore eyes and eyelid swelling.
                          Hi Merka. Just wondering if Doxy causing eyelid swelling and soreness is something you experienced or is well known? I haven't heard much about that. I'm back on low dose Doxy, I've been on it before 100mg a day (standard UK NHS dose) and didn't think it helped but my eyes are pretty bad at the moment so giving it another go.

Comment

I haven't used doxy or steroids. But my doc told me about side effects other people have experienced. My tear film quality has improved a lot and now it is really good, so I don't need doxy or steroids.

Comment

Thanks for this great Post. https://manukahoneyusa.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X