I'm concerned about a potential move to a drier climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm concerned about a potential move to a drier climate

30 F with 6 year history of dry eyes, currently managed with intermittent preservative free drops during the day (more at night) and fish oil pills. Long story short I was offered my dream job in Sacramento (currently living in Detroit), but I'm concerned about the dry climate. When I visited for the interview I was fine for 90% of the day (humidity usually hovers around 50-60), but around 3-5pm the humidity drops usually below 20% (around 12% when I was there) and I could definitely feel the difference. feel kind of crazy for not taking a job because of low humidity for 2-3 hours a day, but I don't want to be in pain.

Do whatever you think is best for you long term, and don't think for one second that you're crazy to consider turning down the job due to low humidity. It's a perfectly valid concern.

You're definitely not alone in having to consider this stuff. I avoid traveling to desert climates. I'd turn down any job in a dry climate.
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 22:10.

Comment

I would not do it until I was stable. Even then, research shows that desiccating stress can lead to Sjogren’s like inflammation on the ocular surface and in the lacrimal gland. 20% is very low. 50-60% is fine but also not good enough for dry eyes. I definitely feel better at 70%+

Depends on how sensitive you are, too. My TBUT is close to normal 9-11s but I am still very sensitive to dryness.

Comment

Working...
      X