Lower Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Plug

I have permanent lower plug but whenever I put Xiidra, I can still feel the taste. Is it something typical?
    I should say that plug did not help me even one bit. My plug is those one that does not have cap.

Thanks

The ones without a cap let a fair amount of tears into the drainage system, as much as 50%, according to my doc. I’ve had both plugs at the same time in different eyes and the one with the cap was better off. I could see a higher tear meniscus.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
      The ones without a cap let a fair amount of tears into the drainage system, as much as 50%, according to my doc. I’ve had both plugs at the same time in different eyes and the one with the cap was better off. I could see a higher tear meniscus.
      Are you fairly symptoms free with the one with the caps?

Thanks

Comment

In my case, the glands were also clogged so tear volume alone did not help fully with my symptoms. I would say plugs made bad days not as bad as they were before.
        I did notice a difference between the two eyes. The one with the capped punctal plug did better in dry environments like the office.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
          In my case, the glands were also clogged so tear volume alone did not help fully with my symptoms. I would say plugs made bad days not as bad as they were before.
          I did notice a difference between the two eyes. The one with the capped punctal plug did better in dry environments like the office.
          Thanks for your response.

Comment

There are 2 drains per eye one upper and one lower. If the upper is still not plugged then some of the Xiidra will be draining through that puncta.

Of note, intracanalicular plugs are not recommended because of the danger of them getting stuck in the canal. The umbrella type are preferred. I had only lowers and it did not help. If you are not helped by the lowers you might try a temporary dissolvable plug in the uppers to see if that makes a difference. It wasn't until I had all 4 plugged that I got any relief.

Comment

Working...
            X