Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the consensus on the aqueous tear tests in 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the consensus on the aqueous tear tests in 2018?

Many docs don’t do Schirmer’s anymore in my area. I had it done on a few occasions with anaesthetic and without. Huge difference 25mn for the raw one and 7mm for the anaesthetic.

Some docs have Keratographs so they can estimate tear meniscus height more precisely. Yet I find they can never tell me what’s a good number to have and studies vary a lot.

Then there is also the osmolarity. But is it also incorporating lipids as well? Since rapid evaporation also can lead to hyper osmolarity.

Another cool one is Phenol Red Thread. Seems like a great alternative to Schirmer’s. Only 15 seconds and much less irritation. However I have not seen any docs who would do this test.

What does your best doctor usually do? What is a good combination of tests? Can we measure anything at home? E.g. buy phenol red test.

- - - - -
    As for Schirmer’s with an anaesthetic. I would imagine it could be a great test: painless, no reflex tearing and fairly short. However, to me it seems sketchy to block sensation and expect basal tear secretion to remain the same. LASIK patients have issues not only with reflex tearing but also basal tear secretion due to corneal sensory nerve damage. Some studies show that topical anaesthetic can reduce tear secretion but the study designs are questionable (example 1).

At Vissum in Alicante I had:

Schirmer II (with anaesthetic)
    Keratograph tear meniscus height
    Tear meniscus analysis through slit lamp, both before and after wiping tears from eyelids with a tissue.

For the slit lamp TMH test, the dr was able to record the height (as a fraction of mm). Obviously this will be somewhat subjective. In addition to the height, he noted how quickly the meniscus formed following tear removal.

He preferred schirmer with anaesthetic as a measurement of basal tearing, as there's a large amount of variation in patient sensitivity.

I have some schirmer strips for home testing but found this wasn't doing me much good mentally!

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine getting sad with my results, too. I see my TMH in the mirror and it always worries me when it dips low.

Here in Canada, only one doc did Schirmer’s. I don’t know what to think.

Are you planning to do a biopsy at some point to rule out Sjogren’s? Do you have an idea of what happened to the lacrimal gland?

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
        Are you planning to do a biopsy at some point to rule out Sjogren’s? Do you have an idea of what happened to the lacrimal gland?
        Not in my plans at the moment. I think there can be some possible complications from the lip biopsy? Something I'd like to avoid as a player of a wind instrument especially..

Dr thought a change in my autoimmune system led to it. It may also be from inflammation secondary to MGD I think..

Comment

Originally posted by Meibum Ian View Post
          Schirmer II (with anaesthetic)
          Just realised I've been getting my Schirmer tests wrong..

According to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3428545/ - "Schirmer II test is performed by irritating the nasal mucosa with a cotton-tipped applicator prior to measuring tear production"

And the test with anaesthesia is just known as Schirer I with anaesthesia.

Comment

Working...
          X