Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else feeling sad they can't wear contact lenses anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else feeling sad they can't wear contact lenses anymore?

Before my descent into dry eye h*** I wore contact lens (hard gas permeable) everyday for many years without any problems. I always cleaned them properly and made sure I wore my glasses in the evenings and weekends to give my eyes a break. I guess my mistake was wearing them to work as I stare at the computer all day long, still I always thought I would get LASIK once my eyes stabilised but now sadly this is now out of the question due to the poor state of my eyes.

When I first started having dry eye problems last year I always thought I would be able to get back to wearing my lenses, but now I can't imagine this being possible, my eyes burn non stop.

So I'm now stuck wearing thick glasses - my prescription is high. Whenever I look in the mirror I feel like this is not the real me, the worst is when I bump into people I haven't seen in a while and the look of surprise on their face and me having to explain what is happening.

I am not a vain person by any means and I suppose I should be grateful I am not going blind or anything but it is still seriously depressing.....

When I first was diagnosed I felt like I wanted to cry, but you’ll soon come to accept it and it won’t feel so bad. Maybe try buying a trendier pair of glasses? Glasses can be cool you’ve just got to find the right pair! I always take mine off when I’m in clubs and bars though

Comment

It's been almost a year now wearing these glasses, it is really hard to accept this is what I will look like for the rest of my life. If the burning stopped I would feel better for sure but it's the double whammy of being in pain and not looking myself which is unbearable. Trying to stay positive though thank you for your kind words

Comment

I completely understand what you’re saying. To be fair, over the past 10 years contact lenses have been designed so that they are less drying and damaging to the eye. Who knows maybe in a few years they’ll bring out some really high quality contact lenses that even people with dry eyes can tolerate!

Comment

Have you tried Alcon Dailies Total 1? They're water gradient lenses. I couldn't tolerate contacts either and decided to get PRK surgery back in 2013..fast forward to now and my dry eye situation is much worse but I'm actually able to tolerate these lenses for hours at a time.

I only have a slight prescription now (about -0.50), however I wear these lenses because they act almost like a Scleral lense in that they keep my cornea moist and protect my cornea from wind and A/C units. I still put in artificial tears every 30 minutes with these but my overall comfort is greatly improved, especially in social situations.

Here's a link to their website. A 90 pack costs around $80 with my local optometrist, but you should be able to ask them for a couple pairs of trial lenses to see if they work for you.
          https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1/
          Last edited by Glucoa; 06-Dec-2018, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
            Have you tried Alcon Dailies Total 1? They're water gradient lenses. I couldn't tolerate contacts either and decided to get PRK surgery back in 2013..fast forward to now and my dry eye situation is much worse but I'm actually able to tolerate these lenses for hours at a time.

I only have a slight prescription now (about -0.50), however I wear these lenses because they act almost like a Scleral lense in that they keep my cornea moist and protect my cornea from wind and A/C units. I still put in artificial tears every 30 minutes with these but my overall comfort is greatly improved, especially in social situations.

Here's a link to their website. A 90 pack costs around $80 with my local optometrist, but you should be able to ask them for a couple pairs of trial lenses to see if they work for you.
            https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1/
            Hi thank you for your suggestion, yes I have tried these, as well as about 10 other different soft contact lens on a trial basis, but even these ones which are supposed to be the best ones on the market made my eyes bloodshot and feeling very dry after only about 20 mins. The extended wear ones which doctors use as a bandage also had the same effect.

I have an appointment set up for scleral lens fitting as I need the burning to stop but I am afraid my eyes will not be able to tolerate these either.
            Am trying to stay optimistic.
            Last edited by Alix; 06-Dec-2018, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post

Hi thank you for your suggestion, yes I have tried these, as well as about 10 other different soft contact lens on a trial basis, but even these ones which are supposed to be the best ones on the market made my eyes bloodshot and feeling very dry after only about 20 mins. The extended wear ones which doctors use as a bandage also had the same effect.

I have an appointment set up for scleral lens fitting as I need the burning to stop but I am afraid my eyes will not be able to tolerate these either.
              Am trying to stay optimistic.
              Ahh bummer. Yes, I hope you have success with Scleral lenses as many others here have had!

Comment

I am very curious that you needed lenses after PRK and that you can actually wear them. And that they provide comfort! I also had PRK and the dryness showed up several months later. Along with eliminating this dry eye, I would like to get a lens for monovision but I can't see any possible way I could wear a lens. I would appreciate any more information you have on your experience

Comment

Totally understand. I never managed to wear contact lenses successfully as my right eye was always too dry. I wished I realized this and tried to get it sorted but didn't. I now cannot bear to look at my eyes as too me they look bloodshot and haggard. That is my way of coping. I also wear my prescription sunglasses more and more, even indoors at times and visiting friends/family. Take care Alix.

Comment

Alix. I am going to try CBD gummies to see if they help with the pain..I will have to wait until my course of antibodies finish in 5 weeks as they can interact with other medications. Have u thought of that.

Comment

I have had problems all my like and also had PRK and for the last year am wearing Scleral lenses. Game changer for me and I hope the same for you. Comfort and vision is great now. For me getting used to putting them in was a problem but that was mostly a me thing. So weird now not putting drops in all day and burning and itching has gone away. I pray it works for you like many here.

Comment

Alix there is still some other type of laser sugery you can get instead of lasik. I have insanely bad MGD/bleph and slightly lower tear production than normal, was getting super depressed so i got a new type of laser surgery done(SMILE), this will not cause dry eye and didt worsen my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Adish View Post
                          Alix there is still some other type of laser sugery you can get instead of lasik. I have insanely bad MGD/bleph and slightly lower tear production than normal, was getting super depressed so i got a new type of laser surgery done(SMILE), this will not cause dry eye and didt worsen my situation.
                          Hi I am glad laser surgery worked for you, but there is no way I am ever going anywhere near a laser, no way am I going to take the risk.
                          If a surgeon gave me the go ahead what with the state of my eyes I would be very suspicious.

Comment

Fair enough, I totally understand you dont wanna take the chance. For me personally, I had to get it done, otherwise i would probably never had gotten out of the dark place i was in(really really hated glasses as an really active person++ rain ****ing destroys living with
                            glasses). Living in Denmark i had some comfort that the nr 1 doctor in the world for these kind of eye surgeries was doing the job. The specialized an after treatment for me aswell, considering my existing eye problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X