Improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvement?

For the past week or so, I have had headaches and nausea from the extreme blurriness and light sensitivity caused by my dry eye. My doctor has me on prednisolone along with Retaine tears and ointment. The last few days I have used the heated eye mask along with eyelid massage consistently, which I did not previously give much of a chance. Today and yesterday I have had several amazing hours where my vision is almost normal. Before these moments of clarity I feel a "cool" feeling coming over my eyes. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it lead to further improvement. Trying not to get too hopeful.

Pred is a strong drug, it probably helped calm your nerves / cornea . However, you can't be on pred longterm as it can cause glacoma .

Comment

Great, LSP.
      Wise to tackle the root causes, did doctor detect them?
      I think if you have obstruction, it should be removed, by IPL, LipiFLow, etc, sooner than later.
      Do you have all basic info, like Lipid layer thickness, gland images, secretion/gland status??
      Last edited by MGD1701; 18-Dec-2018, 04:20.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I should have clarified. I have been on all drops for almost 2 months so I dont think it's them! My dr tried to wean me off the pred but my eyes would not calm down whatsoever so I'm still on it. But hopeful about the mask and lid massage.

Comment

MGD my doctor's protocol isn't really helping and I do not have all that info from him so I have had to take it more into my own hands. I have an appt for a second opinion this week and am going to inquire about LipiFlow.

Comment

Originally posted by LSP170 View Post
            MGD my doctor's protocol isn't really helping and I do not have all that info from him so I have had to take it more into my own hands. I have an appt for a second opinion this week and am going to inquire about LipiFlow.
            IMO, you should take a look at LipiFlow, IPL, Xiidra and Restasis. All these treatments can be complementary and more effective together. Personally I am on Xiidra, Restasis and monthly-IPL.

Comment

I was on Xiidra for about a year. It started out effective but then stopped working. But I wonder if trying it again after the steroid would be helpful.

Comment

LSP, if you were on xiidra for 1 year, you really need more aggressive/advanced treatment, or at least know causes.
                if obstruction is serious, warm compress wont help much.

Comment

Great, you looked for 2nd opinion. If doctors are not proactive, we have to, I learnt that 2.5 years ago, when finally one decent doctor told me, ''sorry, I can not help you''. I have visited +15 doctors.

If you took xiidra for 1 year and still no relief, you migh need more advanced treatment - since normally xiidra takes as little as 2 weeks to see results.

Only objective data/testings help identify causes then you can tackle it more effectively/economically.
                  I have read if xiidra does not work, restasis normally works. Good luck!
                  Last edited by MGD1701; 18-Dec-2018, 04:30.

Comment

I am currently doctor hopping to find answers. It is also important to mention I have a 2 month old so was pregnant and am now breastfeeding. I also have arthritis, which is always in the back of my mind (and my doctors'). They still say dry eye and nothing worse. My current doctor did recommend Restasis as the next step, but having some relief the past couple days from something so simple, I'll take it! Thanks everyone for your advice, knowledge, and support!

Comment

Originally posted by LSP170 View Post
                      I am currently doctor hopping to find answers. It is also important to mention I have a 2 month old so was pregnant and am now breastfeeding. I also have arthritis, which is always in the back of my mind (and my doctors'). They still say dry eye and nothing worse. My current doctor did recommend Restasis as the next step, but having some relief the past couple days from something so simple, I'll take it! Thanks everyone for your advice, knowledge, and support!
                      You can try Restasis on top of Xiidra. i am on both Xiidra and Restasis at the same time.

Comment

Question for you LSP170 ... I know lots of people with severe light sensitivity from dry eye, but "extreme blurriness" is far more unusual unless it's truly pretty extreme aqueous deficient dry eye. At the times when your vision has been so bad, just curious about whether it was tested and if the drs felt that was all attributable to dryness?
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi LSP

Arthritis
                          I have just heard that omega 3 helps with arthritis. Perhas you could do a bit research.
                          omega 3 helps dry eye anyway, mainly reduce inflammation,
                          add GLA works more effectively, such as increase production of all layers. such combination helps me too.

Comment

Thanks all! After about 2 years of suffering the heated eye mask and massage made me feel better and led me to realize that I have been suffering from a cosmetic I have been using on and off. This explains why once in awhile I have a seemingly normal day and can tolerate contact lenses. Now that I figured it out it seems so simple and I feel completely silly. But I just wanted you all to know I am pretty sure I figured out everything and should now be able to completely eliminate this mess! Thanks again for your help and suggestions. Wish you all the best in your journey.

Comment

That's exciting. Love it when the puzzle gets sorted out!
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X