No announcement yet.

LASIK dry eye, corneal damage etc. - possible resource if one has deep pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK dry eye, corneal damage etc. - possible resource if one has deep pockets

I stumbled across this in another group I'm in... figured I'd share:

https://www.amazon.com/Management-Co...dp/B078S2K3FH/

More info on it here: http://www.doctorjorgealio.com/en/th...0-downloads-2/
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:37.

And since the price seems too good to be true, I took lots of screenshots to show that Amazon did indeed promise the SECOND edition for that price.
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:38.

Comment

If you are really interested in this area, typically textbooks are several years out of date. You should google around for journal papers in this area (and most of them can be accessed for free). Another resource is to find faculty/researchers in this area, and backtrack their papers/citations from there.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
        If you are really interested in this area, typically textbooks are several years out of date.
        Totally agree with that, but sometimes they are still useful.

Comment

Wow SAAG can't believe the timing here.

I've reached out to Prof Alio in Spain to discuss my post LASIK dry eye struggles.

I passed him copies of my confocal nerve images, this was his response:

"Thank you for contacting me.
          You suffer what is called by us post LASIK dysesthesia syndrome. It has been described in the second edition of my book Management of Complications in Refractive Surgery, Springer 2018. It consists in inadequate nerve regeneration in the interface, following the surgery. It is not a dry eye but rather a symptom without dryness in most of the cases.
          In my chapter I describe how we treat this syndrome which indeed can be treated in your case. However, I need to see you personally and perform a confocal microscopy study and the treatment can be done immediately. You would need to stay in Alicante for about 4 days in total maximum for the purpose.
          With best personal regards,
          Prof. Jorge Alio
          PS: if you wish to read the chapter of the book you can download it from Springer, specifically that chapter, which is very cheap. I cannot resend it to you because of the copyright transfer is in the hands of Springer.
          "

I'm currently looking at downloading the chapter of interest, which currently isn't an option on the second edition. I've been in touch with his secretary and the lack of chapter download is being looked into.

I'm also trying to arrange an appointment to allow him to investigate and listen to his ideas.

I know you are a long-standing LASIK dry eye suffer but have you ever had a confocal?
          Last edited by quattroboy; 11-Jan-2019, 02:57.

Comment

What email did you use to reach out to him? I tried using the general contact form on their clinic's website, but received no reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy View Post
              "In my chapter I describe how we treat this syndrome which indeed can be treated in your case. However, I need to see you personally and perform a confocal microscopy study and the treatment can be done immediately. You would need to stay in Alicante for about 4 days in total maximum for the purpose....
              With best personal regards,
              Prof. Jorge Alio"
              I'm very curious if there is something in there that's not easily found online for free.
              Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:39.

Comment

jlalio@vissum.com

I think I ordered the last copy at 38! As a result, it's now on back order, hence the price increase.

Can I ask what was the conclusion about your nerves?

Comment

I'll PM you instead of writing it here.
                  Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:39.

Comment

Interesting what is the implications of centralised pain?

Comment

And add to that the fact that dry eye itself can cause this if it goes on long enough... so we are even more at risk.
                      Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:40.

Comment

quattroboy SAAG - The chapter by Alio is available for free online if you access it from the UK. His idea is to lift the flap and cut the faulty nerves, allowing them to regrow properly. I've talked to someone who this worked for, someone who got worse and someone who stayed the same.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YCdFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=cornea l+dysthesia+alio+flap+2018&source=bl&ots=Wuwe2_gGG n&sig=HpVZPrGwVastFcDHESUAsDRF_Ao&hl=en&sa=X&ved =2 ahUKEwim64in5uDcAhUGMuwKHVTGBW4Q6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=o nepage&q=corneal%20dysthesia%20alio%20flap%202018& f=false

Comment

Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
                          The chapter by Alio is available for free online if you access it from the UK. His idea is to lift the flap and cut the faulty nerves, allowing them to regrow properly. I've talked to someone who this worked for, someone who got worse and someone who stayed the same.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YCdFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=cornea l+dysthesia+alio+flap+2018&source=bl&ots=Wuwe2_gGG n&sig=HpVZPrGwVastFcDHESUAsDRF_Ao&hl=en&sa=X&ved =2 ahUKEwim64in5uDcAhUGMuwKHVTGBW4Q6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=o nepage&q=corneal%20dysthesia%20alio%20flap%202018& f=false
                          I can only see pages 113 and 114 (the first two pages) of that chapter, the rest of the text is unavailable in the preview. Are you able to see the entire chapter?
                          Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena11 View Post
                            quattroboy SAAG - The chapter by Alio is available for free online if you access it from the UK. His idea is to lift the flap and cut the faulty nerves, allowing them to regrow properly. I've talked to someone who this worked for, someone who got worse and someone who stayed the same.

Yes this is his approach I got the book yesterday.

I've cancelled my appointment for now. Not keen on getting the nerves cut. Will wait to see if my current treatment produces results.

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting that textbook.
                              Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X