Natrasan spray for eyelid hygiene and MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natrasan spray for eyelid hygiene and MGD

This thread (http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...eyelid-hygiene) is where I first heard about this product. Thank-you to all who posted there!!!
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:17.

It does sound interesting after looking around the web on this. I am going to get some and try it also and maybe employ some of the other uses it can do. Maybe for hands when using contact lens?

Comment

Originally posted by woodart View Post
      Maybe for hands when using contact lens?
      I don't know... since contact lenses go in your eyes afterwards, I'd just stick with the tried-and-true washing well with soap and water so that there's no residue of anything on your hands afterwards.
      Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:18.

Comment

I came across an interesting discussion on another forum regarding HOCL solutions available on the market. [link]
        Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:19.

Comment

It's only been 4 days, but so far, so good.
          Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:19.

Comment

Thanks, was just a thought. I actually have not even picked up my lens yet. I usually go by what they tell me to start with and what I should use. If that works then I will just stay with it. But I do have bleph and mgd. So far have only used the occusoft plus the heat and antibiotics. The antibiotics I take untilt hey bother me then I give them up for a while.

Comment

It took me a couple month to really notice a difference from lid scrubs but they do work very well. I have tried a few brands and avenova works best for me. I always assumed they went rx so they could charge my insurance 400 a bottle. Before, they were selling in dr offices and then in January 2018, they stopped that. I think everyone responds to all of these sprays differently. Some people hate avenova. There is so much trial and error involved that you really have to educate yourself to function better. Just taking a doctors standard regimen is a good starting point, but it must be adjusted imo. Especially for us sensitive folks. Im allergic to everything that goes in my eyes. Literally the heparin and serum are the only two things that go in smoothly. Even the methyl pred makes my eyes itch a bit. Kinda rambling here sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
                I always assumed they went rx so they could charge my insurance 400 a bottle.
                Yeah, that's a real bummer. Treating this condition can be so expensive!
                Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post

I think that's exactly correct. It annoys me to be honest... making Avenova isn't super costly (compared to developing a brand new antibiotic or blood pressure medication, for example), and for those who do not have insurance to have to pay big bucks to get it is not cool.

Anyghow, I just ordered 3 more 250ml bottles of Natrasan from Amazon.co.uk today. I'm not sure how long the 250ml bottle I have will last, and I'm so impressed by it that I want to make sure I don't run out before I can figure out how to get more in Canada (when I return there this summer). At 10£ per 250ml bottle, Natrasan is dirt cheap.
                  Yeah, I am super lucky I have good insurance. I get two 60ml bottles per month for 60 bucks and it’s bareky enough. Here’s why, their pump system doesn’t work. It was meant to deliver an exact amount of spray. But half the time, it barely sprayed anything. So they went back to the old pump style. That sprays double the amount it used to. So it’s very hard to measure now. That’s my biggest complaint. I’m gonna call novabay and ask what the hell is going on. They’re clearly aware of the problem.

But it I have used the heydrate lid and lash cleanser, a counoended version of hocl and another brand cannot remember the name, but it had bleach as a byproduct, that’s one thing I woukd check with Natrasan, does their product produce radical chlorine species over time. Because chlorine is cytotoxic. One main reason I only use avenova. Their manufacturing process eliminates the harmful chlorine species. Could you imagine using a lid cleanser for years and actually making thinks worse for the skin around the eyes? Crazy.

Comment

I'm curious to see how my eyes will do long-term or if perhaps I'll tolerate it fine, but be able to decrease to using it only every other day for maintenance... maybe twice a week... who knows...
                    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:21.

Comment

Anyhow, I hope my long novel doesn't come across as too strong... I don't intend it that way. My intention was only to share what I found out in my reading, in case it helps anyone else make a decision on which HOCl product to try first. :-)
                      Last edited by SAAG; 24-Jan-2019, 09:57.

Comment

Thanks for that post SAAG. I’ve been using Natrasan for a couple days as it’s the only over-the-counter hypochlorous acid solution I could find locally (in the Netherlands), and didn’t realise that the concentration was so much higher than the solutions created specifically for eyelid hygiene. I don’t experience any discomfort or irritation from Natrasan so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendoji View Post
                          I dont experience any discomfort or irritation from Natrasan so far.
                          Same here... I'm 6 days into spraying it on twice daily and so far, so good! Hopefully it continues.
                          Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 20:22.

Comment

I have tried reducing frequency, I can’t, yet. Hopefully I will be able to one day. But after 48 hours no lid scrub, I was hurting. Good info. I found this on avenovas site. So it’s clearly biased. I’m just curious if their testing was accurate. You know what I’ll do, I have a ph pen I use for nutrient solutions, I’ll test the ph of my avenova at different times during its use. It seems that chlorine is produced as ph rises above 6.7.

i wanted to add contact time to kill. It requires 60 seconds of exposure to HOCL to kill the bacteria listed on their product info. So I spray both cotton pads, then spray my eyes and let that sit for 30 secs. Then I start rubbing and cleaning for another 30 seconds. Not sure if it matters much but I’m hardcore about precision.

Comment

I bought a bottle of Natrasan last year and used it on and off but stopped as I didn't feel it did anything. I was spraying it on cotton wool and wiping my eye lid margins with it. It just felt like water.

However since reading this post I started re-using it again, but this time, spraying it on my eyes and dousing them in it, then wiping off the excess with a tissue after 30 seconds.

I have noticed a dramatic difference in terms of moisture levels in the past couple of days. The burning has gone down.

As with most people here I am trying out different things at the same time (in my case Blephasteam, probiotics, antioxidants), so I can't say for sure this is what is driving the change in my symptoms but I am definitely going to carry on using this twice a day!

Comment

Working...
                              X