Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone whose dry eyes got better after eradicating demodex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone whose dry eyes got better after eradicating demodex?

Hello to all once again,
    The last time I went to my opthalmologist he pointed out that I have significant demodex infestation of my eyelashes. I have been observing cylindrical dandruff around the base of my eyelashes for the last 6 months or more (never cared to notice before). I do have occasional itching near the base of my eyelashes. But to be honest I never considered that demodex could be a SIGNIFICANT contributor to my MGD. Now I see my eyelashes covered with visible scales. I am beginning to wonder if demodex can truly cause MGD alone.

Is there anyone in this forum whose MGD got phenomenally better or even cured after eradicating demodex mites?
    ​​​

Yes, demodex can cause MGD. Get some Tree Tea Oil and wipe your lids with them twice a day. Do this for around 2 months and it should wipe out the infestation.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      Yes, demodex can cause MGD. Get some Tree Tea Oil and wipe your lids with them twice a day. Do this for around 2 months and it should wipe out the infestation.
      Did your MGD improve after clearing demodex?

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Did your MGD improve after clearing demodex?
        I don't have a demodex problem , but if you do a simple Google search , the treatment of demodex is Tea Tree Oil (i.e., Cliradex). It's safe and relatively cheap.

Comment

Is there anyone in this forum whose MGD got phenomenally better or even cured after eradicating demodex mites?
          ​​​
          Experts say there is no proof of direct involvement of demodex in MGD.
          But I believe Demodex can damage glands, they feed on oil and cause damages in the skin and glands.
          After having treated Demodex (TTO + ivermectin) I don't have itching anymore.
          I cannot says if MGD has improved because i have no evidence and I also have other care (compress, lid hygiene...) but I believe it has improved.

Comment

Hello to all once again,
            The last time I went to my opthalmologist he pointed out that I have significant demodex infestation of my eyelashes. I have been observing cylindrical dandruff around the base of my eyelashes for the last 6 months or more (never cared to notice before). I do have occasional itching near the base of my eyelashes. But to be honest I never considered that demodex could be a SIGNIFICANT contributor to my MGD. Now I see my eyelashes covered with visible scales. I am beginning to wonder if demodex can truly cause MGD alone.

​​​
            My doc (name mentioned with links on my previous posts) strongly believes demodex is the source of most people's MGD.

He publishes a very comprehensive treatment approach, including recommended products (in the UK).

Demodex goes undiagnosed in most people.

Comment

Originally posted by mbperso View Post

Experts say there is no proof of direct involvement of demodex in MGD.
              But I believe Demodex can damage glands, they feed on oil and cause damages in the skin and glands.
              After having treated Demodex (TTO + ivermectin) I don't have itching anymore.
              I cannot says if MGD has improved because i have no evidence and I also have other care (compress, lid hygiene...) but I believe it has improved.

Thanks for sharing your experience mbperso

I am trying TTO alone. Hopefully it will work.

It's interesting you used ivermectin. Did you use an ivermectin ointment?

How long and how many times a day?

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy View Post

My doc (name mentioned with links on my previous posts) strongly believes demodex is the source of most people's MGD.

He publishes a very comprehensive treatment approach, including recommended products (in the UK).

Demodex goes undiagnosed in most people.
                I believe your doctor's words are true! I think the source of my inflammation could be from these tiny mites carrying bacteria into the glands that excrete inflammatory toxins inside the glands. I also believe the formation of cappings over my gland orifices could be due to demodex as the cappings are somewhat similar to the collarettes that are seen around the eyelashes caused by demodex (both look like epithelial formations). I will continue with the demodex protocol for the next few months to see if it makes a difference!

Thanks for reminding me about your previous posts quattroboy

Comment

Recently, out of curiosiy, I tried about 10% tea tree oil, TTO for my gritty eyes - gritty feeling was gone– right away. Some hours later, gritty again, re-applied TTO, again, no more gritty right away.

I actually first used the NatraSan spray which I have found, been using & sharing it here for 1.5 years, failed as it is for bacteria. Also tried oil-based drop, failed again & made eyes drier (I could see oily tear too - LLT now 100, 70 per recent LipiView but such test it is not 100% reliable).

A few days Later visited doctor who confirmed no demodex, my cornea is ok and no staining too. I said I killed them already. One opinion leader, a professor in USA even admitted (2018) that he probably missed demodex issue. I actually do not have typical signs, like itchy, burning, red eyes nor discharges, debris etc and eyes are top when wake up too but somestimes gritty in the afternoon.

I do use TTO on and off which is ineffective. I happened to read a lot recently that demodex is very very common which inspired me to try TTO as I suspect oily skin is my issue.

Experts say 50%, 20% can kill demodex but I think it depends on individual, safer to start from lower %, say 4% then increase. My doctor did warn me that 100% TTO is bad for cornea.

More info, article from Prof. Etty Bitton, Canada, ''Everything you wanted to know and were afraid to ask about Demodex'' - very informative - it explains why demodex is so common.
                  Dr Periman posted a video - 'moving' demodex in human eye in Facebook - maybe it explains why eyes are gritty?

http://www.waterdownoptometric.ca/vi...icle_506.3conx
                  Last edited by MGD1701; 26-Jan-2019, 04:21.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                    Recently, out of curiosiy, I tried about 10% tea tree oil, TTO for my gritty eyes - gritty feeling was gone – right away.
                    Some hours later, gritty again, re-applied TTO, again, no more gritty right away.

I actually first used the NatraSan spray which I have found & used for 1.5 years – failed as it is for bacteria.
                    Also applied drop – failed & made eyes drier (as I can see oily tear film). I do use TTO on and off which is ineffective. I happened to read a lot recently that how common demodex is which inspired me to try TTO as I suspect oily skin is my issue. Per Yesterday’s LipiView LLT 100, 70 but LLT is no so reliable.

I actually do not have red, itchy eyes nor debris, discharges. Eyes are top when wake up. But eyes were sometimes gritty afternoon.
                    Visited doctor yesterday who confirmed I do not have demodex (and my cornea is ok, no staining too).
                    I said I killed them already. Besides how to detect demodex live inside glands? One expert in USA even admitted that he probably missed demodex issue.

Experts say 50%, 20% can kill demodex but I think it depends on individual – best is start from lower % then increase.
                    My doctor did warn me that 100% TTO is bad for cornea.

More info, article from Prof. Etty Bitton, Canada, ''Everything you wanted to know and were afraid to ask about Demodex'' - a bit old but still useful.
                    Dr Periman posted a video - demodex in human eye in Facebook

http://www.waterdownoptometric.ca/vi...icle_506.3conx
                    Excellent post MGD1701!

Your doctor said 100% TTO is bad for cornea. I am rubbing 100% TTO in my eyelashes and over closed eyelids. They don't get into my eyes if I am careful. Would it be an issue?

Also how do you apply diluted TTO?

Do you mix pure TTO with other carrier oils to adjust the concentration?

Comment

Interesting stuff. I’’ve just started using a tea tree oil face wash, also around the eyelids, but I’’m sure the % of tea tree oil is very low. As I also use Jojoba oil as an all-around moisturiser for face and eyelids (after tee trea wash and Natrasan) I wonder if I could make a quick DIY tea tree + Jojoba oil mix for this last step in my regimen for more efficacy. Simply putting 4 drops Jojoba and 1 drop tea tree oil in my palm should be a 20% solution. Would be curious if anyone has tried something like this.

Comment

Found an excellent post on demodex!

https://www.healio.com/optometry/cor...doctor-patient

Comment

I am trying TTO alone. Hopefully it will work.
                          It's interesting you used ivermectin. Did you use an ivermectin ointment?
                          How long and how many times a day?
                          I used tablets, 12 mg once. You could repeat the same 14 days later.
                          Regarding TTO I used 50% TTO + 50% jojoba oil , and applied it on lashes before bed for 40 days.
                          Don't use pure TTO.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1772908/
                          Conclusion: Weekly lid scrub with 50% TTO and daily lid scrub with tea tree (2%) is effective
                          100% TTO kill demodex in 4 mn, 50% in 15 mn, 25% in 40 mn, 10% in 150 mn

Comment

I used tablets, 12 mg once. You could repeat the same 14 days later.
                            Are there any potential side effects of oral ivermectin?

Don't use pure TTO.
                            ​​​​​​
                            This is interesting. Everyone tells me not to use 100% TTO but doesn't explain me the reason.

Provided TTO applied to the eyelashes doesn't get inside the eyes is it still harmful to use 100% TTO (if one doesn't have skin irritation)?

By the way the link you shared is very informative. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Milo007 , no side effects normally
                              Once I used 100% TTO and it burned my lid a lot. There is a risk to get TTO inside the eye

Comment

Working...
                              X