Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red veins on whites of eyes HELP

Hi everyone
    I have dry eye, caused by prk that I had almost 5 months ago. I'm hopeful I can beat it, and I'm doing everything I can to try and find a cure. I have a routine now which keeps me comfortable which I'm delighted about but the one thing that really really REALLY gets me down is the appearance of my eyes. They are red and veiny pretty much all the time. It really does look terrible.
    I was at a friends wedding last week and looking at all the other guests with their lovely eye makeup and perfectly white eyes made me feel awful. It also made me think of getting married myself one day and how I'm dreading the pictures already because of how my eyes look (shallow I know but these are the things a woman in her 20s thinks about).
    I'm just wondering. If I cure my dry eyes, in time, will these veins disappear? Are they closely related?
    Or is there anything anyone has tried to reduce the appearance of these lines?
    I'm not looking for bright white eyes all of a sudden but if I could minimise these veins or even if they were a lighter colour than the bright red they are right now I'd be happier.
    I've started to stay in as I hate nights out now.
    Please, if anyone has any info or tips on things I could try for this I'd be so grateful. At the mo I'm taking omega 3, flax seed, vitamin C, doing compresses, taking artificial tears without preservatives.

Has anyone cured the dreaded RED EYE?!

One of the potential causes of these red veins/arteries being so close to the surface is hyperosmolarity of the tear film. The body's natural reaction to this is to secrete more serum(hypotonic) from the blood vessels though a process known as vascular permeability. In order for this to be as successful as possible the blood vessels rise to the surface. Many patients have success with Blink Tears or Oasis Tears (in the U.S.) because they have hyaluronan in them and hold 1000 times their weight in water reducing the osmolarity of the tear film. This is not an immediate reduction in osmolarlity or redness. It will take time depending on the severity of your individual issue.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
      One of the potential causes of these red veins/arteries being so close to the surface is hyperosmolarity of the tear film. The body's natural reaction to this is to secrete more serum(hypotonic) from the blood vessels though a process known as vascular permeability. In order for this to be as successful as possible the blood vessels rise to the surface. Many patients have success with Blink Tears or Oasis Tears (in the U.S.) because they have hyaluronan in them and hold 1000 times their weight in water reducing the osmolarity of the tear film. This is not an immediate reduction in osmolarlity or redness. It will take time depending on the severity of your individual issue.
      Thanks so much for your reply. I have used blink intensive tears in the past, both the bottle (with preservatives) and the vials (without preservatives). I found the bottle quite comforting but was advised against long term use due to it containing preservatives, which I was told could cause the redness. The vials I thought were just ok. Which ones would you recommend?

Comment

preservative free is always best.

Comment

What has really helped me a lot in controlling infflamation/red veins by far is changing my whole diet and eating healthy, doing cardio every day. Eating lots of kale has helped me tremendously, it's great for maintaing the eye free of infflamation and red veins.

Also of course Omega 3 and astaxanthin.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrex-Hawaii-.../dp/B0039ITKU6

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel2 View Post
            What has really helped me a lot in controlling infflamation/red veins by far is changing my whole diet and eating healthy, doing cardio every day. Eating lots of kale has helped me tremendously, it's great for maintaing the eye free of infflamation and red veins.

Also of course Omega 3 and astaxanthin.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrex-Hawaii-.../dp/B0039ITKU6
            I've actually never heard of astaxanthin, I've been taking omega 3 and flax seed regularly although I'll admit I could have more veg in my diet. In fact my while diet could do with an overhaul. I don't eat terribly but I have been eating less veg and more sugar lately. I'll give it a go. Is there anything I should completely cut out? I was thinking of going sugar and gluten free? Would that be enough. I already drink plenty of water and eat lots off fruit. I'd almost survive on cucumbers for life if it meant these veins would go away!!

Comment

However bad you think your eyes are, I guarantee you mine are worse. : ) I have pingueculae on top of lots of veins. I am in my thirties, and yeah, it sucks. It still makes me feel self-conscious to this day.

While taking care of your dry eye condition is important, there is no eye drop for me at this point that will "get rid" of the veins. They are here to stay, and have been so for several years.

However, if this is consolation, not everyone's eyes are as perfect as you think. I work with programmers and accountants (yes, in their twenties) and people who spend tons of time on the computer, and their eyes get red and veiny also, sometimes permanently. Some people suffer from rosacea, and may not necessarily be dry eye suffers, but can still have veins. Fair skinned people who have had lots of sun exposure can have these, too. Construction workers, life guards, and anyone who spends lots of time in the sun and wind can have lots of eye veins. Older people invariably seem to have them.

So, I would say, look around more. Your eyes aren't as bad as you think. There are ways to draw attention from the veins, too, such as a really cool-looking pair of glasses, and (since a lot of us can't wear eye makeup), a great haircut or striking lip color. It's depressing sometimes, but you have to work with what you've got. Constantly ruminating over it will just make you nuts. Trust me. Been there.

Comment

Has anyone tried giving up all computer and smartphone use for a while to see if it makes any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by nori2015 View Post
                  I've actually never heard of astaxanthin, I've been taking omega 3 and flax seed regularly although I'll admit I could have more veg in my diet. In fact my while diet could do with an overhaul. I don't eat terribly but I have been eating less veg and more sugar lately. I'll give it a go. Is there anything I should completely cut out? I was thinking of going sugar and gluten free? Would that be enough. I already drink plenty of water and eat lots off fruit. I'd almost survive on cucumbers for life if it meant these veins would go away!!

I just tried to lower down the bad calories, Mc Donalds, chocolate , any junk food, also I tried lowering down my sugar intake. Try to eat a balanced healthy meal, do at least 10 mins of cardio a day, if you had to pick any vegetable go with Kale, it has amazing anti-inflamatory properties and it's one of the healthiest veggies you could eat. ( I eat a bown of kale putting apple cinder vinnegar and extra virgin olive oil in it)

Eat carrots (or carrot juice), I don't like myself the juice but it's great vitamin A for the eyes, multivitamins help too.

I don't know man, just try this for 2 weeks and see how things go for you.

Comment

Just an update, an more questions! I went to an opthalmologist who said I did not hand dry eye, and said I have chronic allergic conjunctivitis. This was a surprise to me as I've never been allergic to anything, as far as I'm aware. I don't suffer from hay fever or anything. Anyway, I've been prescribed a steroid drop
                    for 6 weeks and an allergy drop for 3 months. I've massively cut down on my artificial tear use and I'm no worse so that's good news. I've been on the new drops for a week now though and I'm still waking up every day with very swollen eyelids and red eyes. The doctor said I had swollen glands. Could it be that im allergic to the artificial tears? Or is it an allergy like dust that has suddenly developed? I'm wondering if I should go to an allergy doctor or just stop artificial tears completely?

Comment

You can develop new allergies or chemical sensitivities at any time in your life. New environment, new vegetation, new flooring, new furniture, change in diet . . . the list is endless. When did the symptoms start? Look to the changes in your life near that time.

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
                        You can develop new allergies or chemical sensitivities at any time in your life. New environment, new vegetation, new flooring, new furniture, change in diet . . . the list is endless. When did the symptoms start? Look to the changes in your life near that time.
                        I had PRK the month before these symptoms kicked in. Other than that nothing changed, only the weather got a bit milder, but that's never bothered me before.

Comment

Any corneal surgery will affect the corneal nerves, which drive the tear response. Plus PRK causes some corneal swelling which gradually resolves.

Just be glad you didn't have LASIK, where the corneal nerves never grow back all the way.

Good luck . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X