Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifier Recommendations

Hi all,

Looking for a recommendation for a humidifier to use for my living room. I'm located in the US. Thought it can't hurt to keep a more humid environment for my MGD. I don't know if this is a popular approach but, like a lot of things we all try, it's worth a shot.

Any makes and models that you've tried with results, please chime in.

Thanks,

CJ

I like this one: https://www.vickshumidifiers.com/hum...t-humidifier-1

1. Warm steam is created by boiling the water - this means you don't have to worry about your humidifier pumping your room full of bacteria (whereas with cool mist and ultrasonic humidifiers you definitely have to be wary of that risk)
    2. Super easy maintenance - use vinegar once a week to dissolve mineral build-up on the heating element
    3. You don't need to buy any replacement parts at all (i.e. unlike other humidifiers which require one to buy replacement filters all the time).
    4. It's big enough to make a significant difference in humidity in a medium sized room (Ex. a bedroom). For larger rooms or wide open spaces, you may need to use more than one of these humidifiers (ex. in my open floor plan kitchen/dining area/living room I would need to run 3-4 of these humidifiers at once in order to humidify such a large space).
    5. In my experience, these units last a long time as long as you clean them regularly (i.e. the vinegar thing mentioned in point #2).

The only downside to these units is if you have young kids in the home who might tip it over and burn themselves on the boiling water or heating element. Older kids should be fine though since they can be taught to be careful and are mature enough to use that knowledge.

re: "Thought it can't hurt to keep a more humid environment for my MGD. I don't know if this is a popular approach but, like a lot of things we all try, it's worth a shot. "

Higher humidity in your living space can make a massive difference because it will slow the evaporation rate of your tears. Buy an inexpensive hygrometer at your local hardware or home improvement store so you can measure the humidity before and after you start using your humidifier. This way you'll be able to figure out how high the humidity needs to be in order to make a difference in the comfort of your eyes.

Comment

SAAG looks good. I can use it with only water, correct? The video shows people pouring Vicks in. Sure don't need it for a cough.

Comment

Yes, you can definitely use it only with water, and that's exactly what I do.

Personally, my eyes would be majorly irritated if I pumped Vicks menthol/eucalyptus into the air hehe, so I definitely don't recommend it :-)

Comment

Working...
        X