Did Azithromycin eyedrops help you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Azithromycin eyedrops help you?

i have been prescribes azithromycin 1% eyedrops for 12 days to help with my blepharitis/MGD. Mine are currently being compounded in the pharmacy.

Did azithromycin help you? If so how did it and how long was your course/how long did it take to help.

Also what are some good things to do in conjunction with this whilst using them.
    Thanks

I used Azyter which I believe is the same thing as azithromycin for one month. They told me to use it 3 days a week, for 4 weeks. No need to use it everyday as it stays in the eyes.

I am surprised they told to use it everyday but I guess doctors follow different protocols depending on the country.

Unfortunately it did nothing for me except cause more burning and redness, but I have heard that some people see good results with this as it flushes out the oils in the glands.

Hope they work for you fingers crossed!

Comment

Hey thank you for sharing your experience, I’m sorry it didn’t work for you, I too am not going on with high hopes at this point. it’s usually one of the first lines of defence doctors prescribe however for me they never went there. Better late then never.

Did it create temporary redness or did it permanently cause red veins, this has me worried as I don’t need anymore it’s already a shit show for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
        Hey thank you for sharing your experience, I’m sorry it didn’t work for you, I too am not going on with high hopes at this point. it’s usually one of the first lines of defence doctors prescribe however for me they never went there. Better late then never.

Did it create temporary redness or did it permanently cause red veins, this has me worried as I don’t need anymore it’s already a shit show for me.
        It was just temporary don't worry but it wasn't like Optimel where the redness lasts a couple of minutes, the redness lasts the days you are using it.
        So I was told to use it last thing at night on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for 4 weeks so my eyes were pretty red on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday, then died down after that until the next cycle.

I think you need to complete the course for it to work so I would stick with it, even if it burns, as the redness goes away after you stop using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post

I think you need to complete the course for it to work so I would stick with it, even if it burns, as the redness goes away after you stop using it.
          It’s primary purpose is to help with unclogging glands through killing a lot of inflammatory mediators in the eyes allowing the glands to liquidify and or be compressed out easier, correct?.
          I just think the glands have malfunctioned too much to be fixed, but I guess you never know what’s around the corner so there’s always that inkling of hope. I have to try or I cannot forgive myself.

Comment

Yes, I used Azyter. It was by far the best drug I've used. Better than steriods and Restasis, Xiidra. My oil glands were flushed, somehow Azithromycin induces the glands to express oils out.

Comment

So how are your eyes now after using them? Improved ?or does it over time revert back to how it was prior?

Comment

So how are your eyes now after using them? Improved ?or does it over time revert back to how it was prior?
                They definitely improved after I used them, but there was also a regression after I stopped (not complete regression to baseline) -- unfortunately, I lost access to the drug. I am based in Canada and Azyter is only available in the EU and certain Asian countries.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

They definitely improved after I used them, but there was also a regression after I stopped (not complete regression to baseline) -- unfortunately, I lost access to the drug. I am based in Canada and Azyter is only available in the EU and certain Asian countries.
                  Thanks for the info, do you think the regression was just from continued inflammation after stopping the drug? Or do you think they’re directly correlated, this is worrisome to hear. I guess the nature of MGD just causes glands to atrophy over time easier.

Comment

Thanks for the info, do you think the regression was just from continued inflammation after stopping the drug? Or do you think they’re directly correlated, this is worrisome to hear. I guess the nature of MGD just causes glands to atrophy over time easier.
                    I'm not sure -- but if it were up to me, I would do longer term Azyter, like 2-3 months just to control the inflammation along with other topical therapy like Restasis and Xiidra. I would definitely include at least 1 round of LipiFlow and IPL into the mix. Note, you can't do IPL while on Azyter, since Azithromycin is phototoxic . You probably want a 1 month gap there to be safe, because Azithromycin has a 68 hr half life.

Azyter definitely did have a (quasi) permanent positive impact for me, my glands opened up a lot more after Azyter.

Comment

deep_dry_eye Alix
                      do either of you know if I can use normal hyloforte eyedrops whilst using azithromycin? I don’t want to wash away the effect with hylo if it will affect it negatively. I was never told if I could or not.

Comment

I just used it,l, it had the faintest bit of burning nothing to really worry about. However it does feel like it has thrown off the comfortability a little. That’s probably because my eyes are not used to it and it’s new. You are right it has made my eyes somewhat red so that sucks but what can I do about oh well.
                        deep_dry_eye did you notice any redness or burning with application of the drops or did it throw of your comfortability when using it at all?
                        I have a little bit of itchiness too at the moment. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

Comment

deep_dry_eye Alix
                          do either of you know if I can use normal hyloforte eyedrops whilst using azithromycin? I don’t want to wash away the effect with hylo if it will affect it negatively. I was never told if I could or not.
                          no , i dont use any artificial tears as i find it useless . i suggest you dont use it as well , or at least several hrs after the azithromycin . the delivery vechicle is some form of oil i think if i rmb correctly . and its supposed to stay in ur ocular surface for awhile, which helps delivery. i.e., delivery is not instant and done.

Comment

I just used it,l, it had the faintest bit of burning nothing to really worry about. However it does feel like it has thrown off the comfortability a little. That’s probably because my eyes are not used to it and it’s new. You are right it has made my eyes somewhat red so that sucks but what can I do about oh well.
                            deep_dry_eye did you notice any redness or burning with application of the drops or did it throw of your comfortability when using it at all?
                            I have a little bit of itchiness too at the moment. I guess we’ll see how it goes.
                            yes , there was definitely burning , so badly that usually after application i might need to keep my close for awhile, however , i sucked it up and still standby its the best drug ive used over restasis and xiidra. unfortunately i lost access to it since not available in canada. i talked to the drug company, they are bringing it to canada hopefully 2020 timeframe.

Comment

Topher3

I used azithromycin ointment in the past and I am using it now. I think ointments are better in terms of drug delivery because they stay on your eyes for long enough so that the drug penetrates your tissues and gets absorbed significantly. Azithromycin has very good penetration and retention properties. It will bring down your inflammation quickly and deactivate bacterial esterases and lipases so that your lipids don't become thick or pasty. I remember you said your problem is low quantity of secretions so meibum consistency is not an issue. If you have access to loteprednol I would suggest you to use loteprednol ointment in combination with azithromycin ointment at night for 7 days followed by azithromycin ointment for at least 4 weeks. You can take 20mg or 50mg doxycycline orally to further suppress the proliferation of inflammatory mediators systemically. Hope it will bring your existing glands back to functionality in some months. Use MCGs religiously and avoid dessicating environments to prevent inflammation from tear hyperosmolarity.

​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X