Any success stories with probing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any success stories with probing?

Hi there, I'm trying to give probing a shot, but haven't seen any success stories. Wondering if anyone had good experience with it. Did it help?

Sorry if this is side tracking, but as you may already know, proving is quite invasive and not without risks. Have you exhausted other forms of therapy which have lower risks as well? For example, IPL, LipiFlow, Xiidra, Restasis, Azithromycin?

Probing definitely has its place in the disease, but its a solution for every1. Probing can clear obstructions in the glands, but it may not reduce inflammation which caused the obstructions in the first place.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have tried restasis, xiidra, lipiflow, iLux, and Azithromycin, but haven't had major success with them. Well, for iLux, I felt some improvement, but it subsided within few days. I have been expressing the glands myself, but didn't see much oil coming out. I have IPL on the list, but can definitely see myself getting probing done.

I have been reading your comments throughout the forum, and it has been very informative! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by wjdwhdjs View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I have tried restasis, xiidra, lipiflow, iLux, and Azithromycin, but haven't had major success with them. Well, for iLux, I felt some improvement, but it subsided within few days. I have been expressing the glands myself, but didn't see much oil coming out. I have IPL on the list, but can definitely see myself getting probing done.

I have been reading your comments throughout the forum, and it has been very informative! Thank you for sharing.
        My advice is that you should give IPL a try first. Which country/city are you from, what is your skin type? Try and get IPL that does both upper and lower lids. IPL is very low risk, and for unknown reasons, can help reduce inflammation and help your glands produce good quality oil.

Do you have a diagnosis? How many functional glands do you have? Is it toothpaste or just thick? Depending on your status, there are different best treatment routes. How long were you on Restasis and Xiidra? Sometimes, these drugs take awhile to kick in.

Once again, probing has helped some patients , but its not for all patients. You really need a dry eye expert dr to help gauge your case.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

My advice is that you should give IPL a try first. Which country/city are you from, what is your skin type? Try and get IPL that does both upper and lower lids. IPL is very low risk, and for unknown reasons, can help reduce inflammation and help your glands produce good quality oil.

Do you have a diagnosis? How many functional glands do you have? Is it toothpaste or just thick? Depending on your status, there are different best treatment routes. How long were you on Restasis and Xiidra? Sometimes, these drugs take awhile to kick in.

Once again, probing has helped some patients , but its not for all patients. You really need a dry eye expert dr to help gauge your case.
          I’ve read your other posts regarding your treatment...I have a few questions...do you still do monthly IPL? Do you do your top eyelids as well? Have you tried Radio Frequency?

i believe you said you are in Toronto.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wjdwhdjs View Post
            Hi there, I'm trying to give probing a shot, but haven't seen any success stories. Wondering if anyone had good experience with it. Did it help?
            There’s a Facebook group Dry Eye Community Support Group with lots of members that have posted their recent experiences with probing.

I agree with the advice you were given regarding IPL have you tried that? Do you know the cause of your MGD?
            Last edited by Dryinvancity; 12-Mar-2019, 07:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Dryinvancity View Post

I’ve read your other posts regarding your treatment...I have a few questions...do you still do monthly IPL? Do you do your top eyelids as well? Have you tried Radio Frequency?

i believe you said you are in Toronto.

Thanks!
              Yes, I am still doing monthly IPL. Yes, I do top eye lids as well , if I had to venture a guess, it does make a difference. No, I don't know what radio frequency treatment you are referring to. Yes I am based in Toronto.

Comment

Yes I had probing last November. It's the one thing I have done that I believe has had the most positive effect on my condition.

Comment

I had my first probing in 2014 and has returned for annual probing since. It works for me. I was able to continue working for 5 more years until I retired in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy View Post
                    Yes I had probing last November. It's the one thing I have done that I believe has had the most positive effect on my condition.
                    Hi - what were the condition of your glands when you had the probing done? Are they all there? Do you have atrophy? Were you given a stage ( mild, moderate, severe)? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dryinvancity View Post

Hi - what were the condition of your glands when you had the probing done? Are they all there? Do you have atrophy? Were you given a stage ( mild, moderate, severe)? Thanks
                      I've lost a lot of glands and those remaining are truncated.

My condition was graded as 3.5 out of 4!

I'd also formed scare tissue over most of my top glands and the outer corners of my lower glands.

Comment

I've lost a lot of glands and those remaining are truncated.

My condition was graded as 3.5 out of 4!

I'd also formed scare tissue over most of my top glands and the outer corners of my lower glands.
                        Thank you for sharing...I’m at about a 3 and have tried IPL and Lipiflow. Am going to try Radio Frequency. I work with 3 doctors but some are opposed to probing...I think it may be my next step if nothing else works.

Comment

Hi Dryinvancity,

Could you share with us why some doctors are opposed for probing?
                          They dont think glands would re-grow or...? Thanks.

My doctor does not think I need it saying I dont have scare tissues.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                            Hi Dryinvancity,

Could you share with us why some doctors are opposed for probing?
                            They dont think glands would re-grow or...? Thanks.

My doctor does not think I need it saying I dont have scare tissues.
                            Apologies for butting in but some doctors oppose probing because they believe the risks outweigh the benefits. It can cause even more inflammation and even if it works the effects only last 7 months at most.

Comment

Hey quattroboy, do you mind explaining your condition? Whether it was severe vs mild case, gland atrophy, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X