X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azyter (topical azithromycin) Uk users

Have many people had
    Azyter (topical azithromycin)
    prescribed in the UK. I am going to ask my eye consultant about this at my next follow up along with doxycycline. I guess Azyter wont be available on the NHS as it is off label use I think? .

Originally posted by Matt0029 View Post
    Have many people had
    Azyter (topical azithromycin)
    prescribed in the UK. I am going to ask my eye consultant about this at my next follow up along with doxycycline. I guess Azyter wont be available on the NHS as it is off label use I think? .
    Hi I got Azyter on the NHS last year. It was very easy - they were very happy to give this to me, probably because it is not expensive (unlike Ikervis).

Comment

Thanks I was concerned as its an off label use For dry eye. How long did you use it for? Did it help? I am on ikervis but my glands still aren't working correctly.

Comment

Thanks I was concerned as its an off label use For dry eye. How long did you use it for? Did it help? I am on ikervis but my glands still aren't working correctly.
        I used it for one month but it didn’t help. I have severe MGD with significant gland drop out. I used Ikervis for 2 months but that didn’t help either. Did you get Ikervis on the NHS?

Comment

I get ikervis on the NHS yes. I see my consultant privately, but he prescribes through my GP. I don't think azyter is that expensive? If I have to get a private prescription. Was more asking really to see if NHS consultants will prescribe this with it being off label use.

Comment

I get ikervis on the NHS yes. I see my consultant privately, but he prescribes through my GP. I don't think azyter is that expensive? If I have to get a private prescription. Was more asking really to see if NHS consultants will prescribe this with it being off label use.
            That’s great you get Ikervis on the NHS. I think Azyter is about 15 pounds on a private prescription but in any case you will definitely be able to get it on the NHS at Moorfields.

Comment

Did you use it every day for the month? Or is it to be used in pulses?

Comment

Did you use it every day for the month? Or is it to be used in pulses?
                I used it three days a week, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday for 4 weeks in a row. You do not need to use it everyday as it stays in your eyes the days you are not using it. I’m sure they will tell you to do the same, that is the NHS protocol.

If if it works well they will give you more. Unfortunately it didn’t do anything for me.

Be warned it stings very badly but it works for some people so it’s worth sticking it out for one month at least.

Comment

Thanks so it's on the nhs list for things to try for dry eye? I thought I may have to print some information out on at as it used off label. Thanks. I'm interested in trying it at my next appointment.

Comment

Thanks so it's on the nhs list for things to try for dry eye? I thought I may have to print some information out on at as it used off label. Thanks. I'm interested in trying it at my next appointment.
                    It must be because they gave it to me without me even asking for it and the NHS have strict protocols. I don't think it being off label is a factor. They were happy to dish out doxycycline tablets, and that is used off label as well. Good luck!

Comment

Ah thank you! Did you get ikervis of them in the end?

Comment

Ah thank you! Did you get ikervis of them in the end?
                        No I didn't, but it doesn't matter anymore. I managed to get a private prescription which cost me a fortune, and used it for 2 months but it didn't do anything so I stopped.
                        I have severe MGD/Blepharitis, not aqueous deficiency so it was a long shot that it would work in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post

No I didn't, but it doesn't matter anymore. I managed to get a private prescription which cost me a fortune, and used it for 2 months but it didn't do anything so I stopped.
                          I have severe MGD/Blepharitis, not aqueous deficiency so it was a long shot that it would work in the first place.
                          ikervis (cycosporin) can help even for MGD -- I have MGD (no aqueous) and a combo treatment of Restasis+Xiidra has helped me.

The key is that the it is an anti-inflammatory drug, it can help control your inflammation. Cycosporin may also take several months to take into effect.

Comment

I used it three days a week, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday for 4 weeks in a row. You do not need to use it everyday as it stays in your eyes the days you are not using it. I’m sure they will tell you to do the same, that is the NHS protocol.

If if it works well they will give you more. Unfortunately it didn’t do anything for me.

Be warned it stings very badly but it works for some people so it’s worth sticking it out for one month at least.
                            Thanks I wonder if it works if it something one stays on long term like ikervis?

Comment

That’s great you get Ikervis on the NHS. I think Azyter is about 15 pounds on a private prescription but in any case you will definitely be able to get it on the NHS at Moorfields.
                              Thanks does it come in single does vials? Do you know how many vials you get for the £15?

Comment

Working...
                              X