Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my ziena nereus MCG’s, how to cope with public anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my ziena nereus MCG’s, how to cope with public anxiety?

I just got my MCG’s and they’re great they take away most if not all the draft, however I am self conscious about the inserts which are rather visible (frost clear). From a distance it’s probably invisible but the closer you get the easier it would be to see.
    i struggle with anxiety in public like people are judging me every time someone looks at me. Has anyone else experienced worry and anxiety when starting going in public with your MCG’s? I’m super happy to be able to go places like movies and shopping centres again however this anxiety makes it anxiety filled dread.

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
    I just got my MCG’s and they’re great they take away most if not all the draft, however I am self conscious about the inserts which are rather visible (frost clear). From a distance it’s probably invisible but the closer you get the easier it would be to see.
    i struggle with anxiety in public like people are judging me every time someone looks at me. Has anyone else experienced worry and anxiety when starting going in public with your MCG’s? I’m super happy to be able to go places like movies and shopping centres again however this anxiety makes it anxiety filled dread.
    I don’t know if you wore glasses your whole life, but I have. So for me, yes I had the anxiety, but I got over it super fast. I am a, function over aesthetics guy. So as long as it works and I feel god, I don’t care. I do think it helps that I’m physically fit. I could wear just about anything and it would be acceptable. You know what I hate, loss of my peripheral when waking or driving. I’ve bumped into so many people not seeing them behind me as I turn. People have come at me to give me hugs and I was embarrassed I didn’t see them. That’s the stuff that bothers me. I hope that if they make you feel exponentially better, you won’t care. Hope they work well for you!

Comment

Honestly who cares what people think? Especially people you don’t know? If people laugh I feel sorry for them they must be very dim. At the end of the day it’s your eyes, your body, you need to do everything you can to protect them. I would happily wear them if I could, nobody cares what people look like here (London, UK)

Comment

Has anyone else experienced worry and anxiety when starting going in public with your MCG’s? I’m super happy to be able to go places like movies and shopping centres again however this anxiety makes it anxiety filled dread.
        Yes, I can completely relate to this.

Back when I used to work in my old job, it was very public. I was dealing with strangers every single day, and always wondering what they must think of my odd looking glasses. For what it's worth, this is what helped:

1) *** IMHO this is the most important thing to do >>>>> Pretend you look normal, and act as if nothing is out of the ordinary. I realize that may sound completely idiotic... but in my experience, acting in this way makes people actually treat you normally (and when people treat you normally, it tends to alleviate most of the anxiety/self-consciousness you feel). On the other hand, if you SHOW that you feel self-conscious, it comes across as awkward and people react to you with even more awkwardness and things can go downhill from there.

Another detail that's kind of related to this... when wearing my moisture chambers around family/friends who don't know why I'm wearing them, I find a way to explain why I'm wearing them as early in the conversation as possible, then change the subject to something light. This puts an end to being distracted by the knowledge that they're all wondering what's going on, and everyone can then move on to enjoying the visit. I've never done this with random strangers or with customers at work though (unless they ask).

2) Wear glasses that are even MORE obvious than the Ziena's, so it looks like you're looking this way on purpose - combine this with fashionable clothing for maximum effect - it's almost like adopting a temporary persona of "looking for attention and loving every minute of it". One of my first attempts to wear a more normal looking pair of moisture chamber glasses were these: http://www.seefitmegs.com/ - I had the ones with the brown side shields. Combining strategy #1 with the obvious "new look" can actually make some people think you've stumbled on the latest fashion. No word of a lie, I actually had strangers go out of their way to compliment me on these because they thought they looked very "European". I have no doubt that plenty of people just thought they looked weird (and were too polite to say anything)... but I was fascinated by the fact that some people actually LIKED them lol

Note: black shields are available for the Ziena's, so since you already own a pair, if you decide to use the "make them even more noticeable" strategy, simply ordering the black shields for the Ziena's is probably cheaper than a pair of SeeFit megs.

3) Consider wearing moisture chamber sunglasses. When you run errands, you'll notice that once in a while you see someone who forgets to take their sunglasses off when they go inside a store/mall etc. With a discreet pair of sunglasses-style moisture chambers, you will simply look like someone who forgot to take off their sunglasses. Combined with strategy #1, people will treat you normally. If you wear them at work, people may ask if you have light sensitivity or migraines (speaking from my own experience)... but as long as you act normally, people will treat you normally. Occasionally a person will wisecrack that you're just trying to look cool - if they do it in a way that's intended to make me realize how silly I apparently am for "trying to look cool", I have always been quick to retort that I have freakishly severe dry eye and literally cannot function without these glasses - 100% of the time I've had to do this, the person looked suitably chastened and walked away with a new perspective on why some people wear sunglasses indoors.

4) Resist the urge to check if other people are staring at you. Some people may stare, but if you didn't see them do it, it's like it never happened. I realize this strategy may also sound idiotic... but once in a while a bit of self-delusion is a good thing. :-) Sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you - and this is one of those times.

Good luck! It gets easier the longer you do it.
        Last edited by SAAG; 15-Mar-2019, 04:15.

Comment

Hey Topher,

I wear the Ziena Nereus black frames with black eye-cup at work in the office. I had them fitted at my optometrist with the anti-glare/blue light filter for computer use as well. At first, a few close coworkers asked why I purchased these and what the purpose is, but were very supportive.

Out in public I wear 7Eye Churada MCGs, which look like sunglasses and can be fitted with transitional lenses for indoor/outside use an extra $65 from the supplier. As SAAG mentioned, the easiest way to feel comfortable around family/friends in these or any MCGs is to mention right away the purpose of wearing the glasses so they aren't distracted. I usually open up with "The weather has been bothering my eyes lately" or "Man, my eyes have been drier than normal lately so these help block any air from hitting my eyes". I'll actually be confronted with this situation next week when I travel with family.

It is an adjustment at first, but the relief from wearing MCGs far outweighs the possible social impact. I even notice people are more friendlier towards me when I wear these in public lol. I always had the same feeling when I wore glasses in general I guess. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
            Hey Topher,
            As SAAG mentioned, the easiest way to feel comfortable around family/friends in these or any MCGs is to mention right away the purpose of wearing the glasses so they aren't distracted. I usually open up with "The weather has been bothering my eyes lately" or "Man, my eyes have been drier than normal lately so these help block any air from hitting my eyes". I'll actually be confronted with this situation next week when I travel with family.

It is an adjustment at first, but the relief from wearing MCGs far outweighs the possible social impact. I even notice people are more friendlier towards me when I wear these in public lol. I always had the same feeling when I wore glasses in general I guess. Best of luck!
            Couldn't have agreed more with you and SAAG. Very well said!
            ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
            X