Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelash in eye

Hi,

I don't know what to do. Since the worsening of my blepharitis I get more eyelashes/eyebrow hairs coming out than normal. Tonight I got one in my eye and it was super painful. But when I tried to get it out I could barely see it..it's very thin and it looked white. Normally what I do is sterilize a Q-tip with boiled water and try to remove it that way. But it doesn't seem to have worked (if it was on the Q-tip I didn't see it.) I've since tried running my eyes under water but it still feels like it's in there. But I can't see it.

Is it likely to work itself out (given the dry eye situation) as I'm reading online when you have healthy eyes this situation tends to work itself out. (ie while sleeping the eyelash often comes out.)

I just do not want to have to go see someone to have it removed, several pros I've seen lately have not washed their hands or worn gloves then touched near my eyes, and I'm terrified of getting another infection.

When this happens to me, I use saline solution for contact lenses to flush it out. ** important, make sure you buy plain saline contact lens solution, NOT mutlipurpose solution, NOT contact lens cleaner etc.

Then I GENTLY squirt the saline solution in the area where I think the lash may be (ex. inner corner of my eye, under the upper or lower lid etc) - but I never squirt it directly at the colored part of my eye, and I never squirt it directly at my pupil.

After I'm sure I must have flushed out whatever was stuck, I rest my eyes as much as possible until the inflammation goes down (it usually takes a few days for my eye to settle down if the lash was stuck in there for a few days already causing inflammation/irritation).

In future, keep a bottle of saline on hand at all times - this way you can get rid of lashes as soon as they get stuck, so they don't have a chance to cause an inflammatory flare up with your eyes. :-)

I hope this helps!!

Comment

My method is to flush out the water eyelash towards the inner corner of the eye using eye drops. I would also close my eye and gently move a finger towards the corner without pressing on cornea.

I also use a makeup mirror from Fancii brand with led lights and a 20x magnification mirror on top of it. Some eyelashes I would not even be able to see otherwise because they are so thin and fair.

Comment

Thank you both for replying. I think the eyelash worked itself out. It felt like it was in there for a while, then, it felt okay then of course the other eye has to start up, it felt like there was a lash in that one...no visible reason to feel like that. Then later first eye feels again like there's a lash....eventually though I noticed it stopped feeling badly.

I did try eyedrops but that did not seem to work (has worked before), but will also get the makeup mirror, good idea, since this lash I could barely see. And will pick up some saline solution too.

Comment

Well now I'm losing so many eyelashes that I fear I soon won't have any. This is getting scary. Every day at least one lash in my eye, sometimes quite a few, and many more fall out around it. Also some eyebrow hair loss too.

Comment

Could it be the mites? Demodex. Have you tried tea tree oil solutions (to wipe eyelids) for the eyes? The Dry Eye Shop sells them I believe.

Comment

Hi hopeful, I think it may actually be mites. I ordered some stuff for mites it just has not come yet.

Comment

Just a note about eyelashes. When you think that an eyelash has 'worked it's way out' it more than likely that it has lodged underneath/behind the eyeball. I know from experience, when I was a kid I had something in my eye but no one could see anything so I went to the Dr who flipped my lid inside out and turns out it was a small piece of plastic from a Planters Peanut bag and along with it he pulled out about 10 eyelashes. I am sure that they eventually dissolve there but there they were.

Comment

Thank you for letting me know farmgirl. I was just saying today to someone if they didn't leave I must have a whole bunch in my eyes now, and maybe that is why my eyes seem so infected (doc has me on AB drops.) I got another one in one eye today, and again I can't find it. Guess I will have to have someone have a look for them all.

Comment

Hi all,

Does anyone else get this and is it usually associated with mites? The flaking I get in my eyelashes often includes odd flakes that are attached to the very tips of my lashes, making some of them look longer. I don't just mean dead skin fell into my lashes either (my brows are getting dandruffy and that happens too) but it really almost looks like lash extensions but of some sort of flaky material.

Comment

Yes I lost eyelashes, and it was because of demodex
                      Treatment: TTO/Cliradex + ivermectin

Comment

I just got some Cliradex, I am going to give that try. Though I'm being tested for another possible cause now too.

Comment

mbperso, what kind of test do they use for demodex? In case this other test comes back negative.

Comment

Originally posted by How View Post
                            mbperso, what kind of test do they use for demodex? In case this other test comes back negative.
                            I had analyzes of lashes at the hospital and they found 5 demodex. 8 lashes extracted in each eye.
                            But I think the best is to find an expert that is able to see demodex on the slit lamp

Comment

Hi mbperso, thanks for your help. I just had an optometrist claim I have them.

Comment

Working...
                              X