No announcement yet.

moisture chamber eyeglasses - helpful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moisture chamber eyeglasses - helpful?

Hi everyone! Looking for feedback on moisture chamber eyeglasses. How helpful have they been to you in surviving climate-controlled environments - business offices, big bix stores, classrooms, etc.?

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and finally investing in some, and I would REALLY love to hear your stories! Thank you!

Very crucial to my overall well-being the past few months. This winter hit me particularly tough in southern California with the winds and very low humidity. My eyes have never been whiter since wearing MCGs (Moisture Chamber Glasses).

I wear my 7Eye Churada MCGs while I drive, shop, workout and watch TV, and then wear my Ziena Nereus MCGs with black eye cups in the office. Your friends and family will get used to them if you feel the need to wear them in social gatherings. Many users here fear wearing the frames in social settings, but the easiest way to feel comfortable is to address right away the reason for wearing these. That'll end their curiosity. At the end of the day the health of your eyes is so important and they will continue to degrade if you don't protect them from the everyday environments in the office and outdoors. There's quite a few trendy frames that I've found from both Ziena and 7eye for men and women.

Would definitely recommend all dry eye patients to get these ASAP at the very least for driving and office use! I've been able to do so many more activities lately with and without MCGs on since I'm protecting my eyes for so many hours of the day. I don't come home from work dreading the idea of watching TV with my spouse or seeing friends after work since I'm shielding my eyes all day long in the office.

Comment

Thanks, Glucoa! I really appreciate the time you took to respond the detail. I ordered a 10-day trial of a few different Ziena frames. I'm hopeful that this will help, as I spend upwards of 10-12 hours some days in artificial air (between work and grad school). Walking through big box stores is very uncomfortable, and as I am going to school for mental health counseling, having eye redness could be a real issue! (I imagine clients running for the door...or being distracted.)

Thanks again! I'll report on how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by shar_63 View Post
        Thanks, Glucoa! I really appreciate the time you took to respond the detail. I ordered a 10-day trial of a few different Ziena frames. I'm hopeful that this will help, as I spend upwards of 10-12 hours some days in artificial air (between work and grad school). Walking through big box stores is very uncomfortable, and as I am going to school for mental health counseling, having eye redness could be a real issue! (I imagine clients running for the door...or being distracted.)

Thanks again! I'll report on how it goes.
        Oh yeah you'll see a huge benefit in big stores. I honestly can't tolerate any shopping malls around here without MCGs. The constant air bowing in your face and bright lights makes it very uncomfortable.

I forgot to mention to buy the anti-slip ear grips for $4 from the Ziena website. They help pull the frame closer to your face to make sure you get the best seal around your face.
        https://www.zienaeyewear.com/collect...-slip-ear-grip

I'm sure you'll see a huge difference right away! Wearing MCGs and buying a USB warm compress from Amazon recently have been the biggest game changers for me in the past year. Best of luck!

Comment

Thank you! And I appreciate the tip about the ear grips.

Comment

Can't live without em

Comment

Just seeing this. Thanks, farmgirl!

Comment

I just bought WileyX's Gravity sunglasses and they are pretty good. I bought them mostly for cycling and for being outdoors for longer periods of time. If I use the strap that came with the glasses that goes around my head they seal almost all incoming air from eyes. Without the strap quite a bit of air comes through but still a lot less than with normal sunglasses or eyeglasses. The only problem is that they frost/mist (what's the proper word?) when I get sweaty pretty easily. That's why cycling glasses have holes at the corners of the frames I. The problem with those holes is that a lot of air gets through.

I've been thinking of getting moisture chamber eyeglasses also (with a clear lense). I use normal eyeglasses now for protection and they really help a lot, but I could use the extra protection from MCG's. The problem is I don't live in the states so I don't if I can try them on anywhere with the possibility of returning them if they don't fit me or if they look awful or something. With the WileyX glasses I found couple of stores in my country that sold them and first I tried the Airrage model, which was really bad for protection. The moisture chamber foam-part was bad quality and the size of the glasses was wrong for my face and bone structure. I returned them and got the Gravity which was way better for me. Even the foam part was a lot better quality.

What do you think about the different types of MCG's? Some models have similar foam to the WileyX's, some have harder looking plastic protection that's see-through, some have black plastic. Which one has worked out the best for you?

I'm also worried and anxious about using glasses like that in public. The Gravity is good because you can't really even see the foam from outside. They are pretty big also. I think with regular eyeglasses with clear lense it's practically impossible to make the chamber unnoticeable. But I guess I just have start wearing them in some safe feeling places and around safe people at first and then extend it from there.

Comment

A well-fitting pair of moisture chambers are by far one of the most effective tools I have to allow me to function.

My eyes are super sensitive, so I need a perfect-seal - the slightest amount of air movement getting through to my eyes is intolerable and inflames them badly. So be aware of that possibility if you find you don't get as much help from them as you'd like... it could be that you need a more perfect fit.

I wear mine during all waking hours, indoors and outdoors (so I even wear them when shopping and running other errands).

7-eye Sedona's are what I'm currently wearing - the arms are wide enough to hide the foam from a side view... this means they look more like normal sunglasses (compared to other styles where you can see the foam insert from the side view).

I wear Ziena Verona's at home - the seal isn't perfect unless I smoosh them firmly onto my face, and they slip down my nose so I always have to keep pushing them back on snugly.. so I just ordered the anti-slip ear grips to see if that solves the problem comfortably. If not, I'll order a clear-lens pair of the Sedonas (less attractive... but I gotta do what I gotta do).

These glasses solve the problem of moving air irritating my eyes. But the one thing these glasses can't do (for me) is allow me to tolerate dry environments. It's summer here, and outdoor humidity is regularly dipping below 30% - my eyes dry up super fast in such an environment... consequently, I am staying home when the humidity is too low (my house is humified to a level of 55-60% at all times). Obviously this means I cannot work outside the home right now, which is a tad bit stressful, to put it mildly.

re: "What do you think about the different types of MCG's?"

In my experience, the ones that are foam-lined tend to do a better job of protecting against moving air - IF you have a pair that fits snugly against your face.

The ones with plastic or silicone barriers are fine for sitting still (ex. at a desk) provided there is no air movement. But if walking around, I find them less effective in general - this could be because I don't have a perfect fit, though... so your mileage may vary.

When I used to work outside the home, I'd wear the sunglasses-style moisture chambers - they looks odd indoors, but FAR less strange than the clear-lens ones (with foam barrier) would have looked. In public I find if you act as if you think you look perfectly normal, people tend to treat you normal. If you act self-conscious and awkward, people react with more awkwardness. In other words, we have to train ourselves to not care that we look different - that eases social situations in a big way... but in the short term, merely pretending you don't care is quite effective.

re: fogging

Experiment with anti-fog sprays... also, you can try anti-fog gels that are used in snorkel and scuba-diving masks. Finally, I find rubbing the interior of the lenses with hand dishwashing liquid (rub away any excess and polish until it's clear and not smeared) makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
                    Very crucial to my overall well-being the past few months. This winter hit me particularly tough in southern California with the winds and very low humidity. My eyes have never been whiter since wearing MCGs (Moisture Chamber Glasses).

I wear my 7Eye Churada MCGs while I drive, shop, workout and watch TV, and then wear my Ziena Nereus MCGs with black eye cups in the office. Your friends and family will get used to them if you feel the need to wear them in social gatherings. Many users here fear wearing the frames in social settings, but the easiest way to feel comfortable is to address right away the reason for wearing these. That'll end their curiosity. At the end of the day the health of your eyes is so important and they will continue to degrade if you don't protect them from the everyday environments in the office and outdoors. There's quite a few trendy frames that I've found from both Ziena and 7eye for men and women.

Would definitely recommend all dry eye patients to get these ASAP at the very least for driving and office use! I've been able to do so many more activities lately with and without MCGs on since I'm protecting my eyes for so many hours of the day. I don't come home from work dreading the idea of watching TV with my spouse or seeing friends after work since I'm shielding my eyes all day long in the office.
                    Hi there Glucoa ! I already use wiley-x sunglasses for cycling, but would want to use 7eye glasses at home. I saw that you have the Churada model. Is that for any specific reason other than esthetics? (for example because they are easier to attach the 7eye ear grippers)
                    I was thinking of buying the cape model, as they have some kind of grip already, which the churada model doesn't. Or is that the advantage of the churada, having no grip you can easily attach the separate ear grippers?

Comment

I asked something else about the 7eye dry eye glasses at their support, this could maybe be helpful for someone else later:
                      My question:
                      I would like to know the difference between the AirShield® Wind Blocking Technology (model cape has this for example) and AirShield® Eyecup Technology (model warrior has this technology). It is for dry eyes moisture chambers.
                      Their answer:
                      Thank you for your inquiry. All Airshield Eyecup technology and Wind Blocking technology is meant to be the same thing. All of our Airshield frames have eyecups that are meant to help block any wind and also work for customers with dry eye. These glasses are meant to be more for outdoors/active lifestyle. We also have our Ziena Eyewear that has a silicone moisture chamber, meant for indoors/office lifestyle. This line is meant to focus more on dry eye patients. Please let me know if you have any questions.
                      That the Ziena eyewear is for indoors is true, but as mentioned in this topic already: for air movement or ventilation for example, the foam can act as a protective buffer.

Comment

Working...
                      X