Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The connection between allergic rhinitis and dry eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The connection between allergic rhinitis and dry eyes?

Recently I came across an article that explains the connection between our eyes and nose. Here's the article for your reference :

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.co...ween-your-eyes

Since eyes and nose function complementarily I wonder if inflammation inside my upper nasal cavity due to perennial allergic rhinitis is affecting my eyes in anyway. Ever since I moved to the place I am living (four years ago) I have had year round allergic rhinitis (I think it's from the high relative humidity here combined with super air pollution) which I have been managing with occasional oral antihistamines and OTC nasal drops. Recently my doctor prescribed me a steroid based nasal drop. I continue to have the problem of waking up with reddish inner eyelids despite taping my eyes shut every night. I noticed a particular trend recently. The day I take my oral anti allergic medication my eyes are significantly less reddish the next morning. The last time I took anti allergic pills for two days in a row the inside of my eyelids were absolutely pale pinkish to my surprise the next morning. I don't know if it's just a coincidence and something else is going wrong or right at occasions but I do feel that one of the things that happened to me ever since my dry eye debacle started was developing allergic rhinitis to this ambience.

Anyone else having issues with nose allergy or sinusitis that you feel might be related to your sudden onset of severe dry eyes?

I am contemplating an experiment. I am considering to take levocetirizine (5mg) pills for 7 consecutive days (one pill each day) to see if it makes a conclusive difference to the condition of my eyes right after I wake up. The only doubt that I have is my eyes don't itch at all. So if the redness is due to allergy then it must be an indirect consequence of the allergic inflammation in my nasal passage (via the nasolacrimal duct).

Found this as well :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26980382/
    Last edited by Milo007; 08-Apr-2019, 07:56.

A really interesting idea.

Can chronic sinusitis impact dry eyes?

And where is the connection/ the cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      A really interesting idea.

Can chronic sinusitis impact dry eyes?

And where is the connection/ the cure.
      Do you have chronic sinusitis?

I think addressing the allergic response itself and removing exposure to the allergen will confirm if nasal allergies do affect eyes indirectly.

Comment

I can report this much: Over the past two years I've noticed a direct correlation between nasal/sinus stuffiness and inflamed eyes in the morning. Whether or not I cover my eyes at night, no matter how well lubricated they are. A stuffy nose night almost guarantees red eyes in the morning. (Naturally, I haven't done anything as logical as consult an allergist! That is next on my list.)

Comment

Originally posted by shar_63 View Post
          I can report this much: Over the past two years I've noticed a direct correlation between nasal/sinus stuffiness and inflamed eyes in the morning. Whether or not I cover my eyes at night, no matter how well lubricated they are. A stuffy nose night almost guarantees red eyes in the morning. (Naturally, I haven't done anything as logical as consult an allergist! That is next on my list.)
          OMG!!!

Something similar is happening with me as well. I am waking up with red eyes even after taping my eyes. Only thing that persists along with this is my blocked nose for which I have to take a nasal decongestant every night. Anti allergics do tend to reduce the redness of my eyes. I am not sure what's going on. Damn...

Comment

Actually... It's pretty common to have allergic conjunctivitis in the case of allergic rhinitis because it is all a general allergic reaction to something. And also any conjunctivitis can contribute to a dry eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
              Actually... It's pretty common to have allergic conjunctivitis in the case of allergic rhinitis because it is all a general allergic reaction to something. And also any conjunctivitis can contribute to a dry eye.
              The only doubt that makes me wonder is my eyes don't itch. Allergic conjunctivitis is almost always accompanied by itchiness.

Comment

Working...
              X