Ziena MCG - frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ziena MCG - frames

I am considering buying a pair of moisture chamber glasses, and have no experience with these types of glasses.

I am very light sensitive, so I want the glasses to protect from light too.

I have some questions:

Which type of Ziena glass frame did you buy - and are they comfortable/look good?

Could you do many more activities with glasses on, compared to without MCG?

Do you have both glasses and sunglasses?

Which chamber color looks best - light or black?

Thanks for any answers

Originally posted by Member View Post
    I am considering buying a pair of moisture chamber glasses, and have no experience with these types of glasses.

I am very light sensitive, so I want the glasses to protect from light too.

I have some questions:

Which type of Ziena glass frame did you buy - and are they comfortable/look good?

Could you do many more activities with glasses on, compared to without MCG?

Do you have both glasses and sunglasses?

Which chamber color looks best - light or black?

Thanks for any answers
    I am currently using the ziena nereus (glossy black) with frost eyecups. To be honest I find them helpful only to block winds from below and the sides. There are gaps between the top part of the eyecups and my orbits and relatively little gaps at the sides which makes them useless when sitting under a ceiling fan. Also since the fit is not perfect for me (I guess won't be for most people) they DONOT prevent leakage of moisture from around your eyes in air conditioned spaces. So they are basically useless for me in AC environments as well. My eyes start burning after spending an hour in AC with the MCG on.

Personally I feel the design of the eyecups is not that great. They won't trap moisture and arrest evaporation of tears unless they were custom fitted. So the fit is again the key. I don't think silicone eyecups will benefit you if you have a severely compromised lipid layer.

My advice would be to try the 7 eye range of goggles with foam eyecups. Foam provides some mouldability to adjust to the contours of your eye orbits to some extent. Go for the deeper eyecups in the models of churada or diablo.

I am going to order the churada next in a few months. The ziena nereus was slightly disappointing to me for the price they come in.

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

The reason I was looking into the Ziena glasses was because they looked so natural compared to many other frames.

I guess I am quite self conscious about wearing MCGs. But then again, I guess I might not get the best possible seal.

I will look into the frames you suggested, thanks!

Comment

I think you can never have a MCG with proper seal (that is complete seal) and "normal look". It's either look or functionality. The only thing I think might be beneficial is this — get a plastic transparent frame (there can be some fashionable ones), and make custom shields from transparent plastic. Nowadays you can print anything from a proper material — i.e. medical grade translucent plastic, you only need to make a proper mold of your custom shields and then 3d scan it. And for molding you can use this article. That is what I currently making, but with Jins Moisture frame (because I plan to work remotely and the look is not my priority). But for going out I plan to do another MCG with transparent frame

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
          I think you can never have a MCG with proper seal (that is complete seal) and "normal look". It's either look or functionality. The only thing I think might be beneficial is this — get a plastic transparent frame (there can be some fashionable ones), and make custom shields from transparent plastic. Nowadays you can print anything from a proper material — i.e. medical grade translucent plastic, you only need to make a proper mold of your custom shields and then 3d scan it. And for molding you can use this article. That is what I currently making, but with Jins Moisture frame (because I plan to work remotely and the look is not my priority). But for going out I plan to do another MCG with transparent frame
          Did you use a 3D printer to fabricate the eyecups?

Also what's the material you used?

Comment

I only plan to use it, so not yet, and I didn't choose a material either, but I found this. I think the material might be not quite important because I doubt there is sufficient toxicity in any 3d printing material for such usecase. Also you could use dental lab to proceed and fully make a shield as described in the article (without 3d printer), but it might be hard to find such lab

Comment

It looks like all Jins Moisture frames are out of stock. Are they good?

Comment

I think they should list them for sale in the future, because this frame is sold for quite a long time (6 years at least). I don't think they are quite good for real dry eye. They increase humidity due to water containers and side shields but that is not enough in my experience. Though they make a good base for attachment of custom shields for a complete seal... And the water containers are also may be helpful (though in case of complete seal they seem redundant)

Comment

I tried Ziena Oasis today. They where too big for my face. I also tried 7eye Cape. They looked really wierd but sealed good.

Is there a Ziena model for a small face?

I am really thinking about designing a pair of glasses myself using a frame with foam on the inside.

Comment

What I have done in the past is contact the seller online and ask them to send me samples of various frames of my choosing. I paid for all with a credit card and returned the ones I didn't like. Fit is really critical with moisture chambers so unless you have someone local who carries a good variety this way is the next best thing. Of note small or Asian faces are difficult to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Member View Post
                      I tried Ziena Oasis today. They where too big for my face. I also tried 7eye Cape. They looked really wierd but sealed good.

Is there a Ziena model for a small face?

I am really thinking about designing a pair of glasses myself using a frame with foam on the inside.
                      They are coming up with two new frames for small faces. One of them is named "Kai" and they would be available from May. You should wait for the launch.

Comment

I see. The Briza 7eye model looks like the most promising frame for me. I hope it fits smaller faces too, but I guess I just have to order a pair to be sure.

Yes, I will wait for the new models, this is exciting. Hopefully there will be a frame that looks natural indoors.

Thanks for replying.

Comment

I wore Ziena Verona for several years because I can't go through the day with any air on my eyes due to neuropathy. I agree, the seal isn't great for air conditioned environments but, without them, I can't even open my eyes. Now, I'm using a pair of men's cycling glasses with clear lenses that fit my face closely and wrap tightly. None of these glasses look "natural" or normal. People usually think I work in a lab.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
                            Nowadays you can print anything from a proper material — i.e. medical grade translucent plastic, you only need to make a proper mold of your custom shields and then 3d scan it. And for molding you can use this article.
                            If you have time, can you post the URL for the link to the article you mentioned? When I tried clicking on the link, it took me to Dropbox and said "Link not found" "The file is no longer there." Thanks! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post

If you have time, can you post the URL for the link to the article you mentioned? When I tried clicking on the link, it took me to Dropbox and said "Link not found" "The file is no longer there." Thanks! :-)
                              Well honestly I don't have time to post the URL links to the content desired. :-D

https://docdro.id/ZrTbuFp (This one is different. I found it independently)

​​​​​​https://docdro.id/sdwzC0L (This is the one that the other user uploaded)

Last edited by Milo007; 25-Apr-2019, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X