Help - need encouragement to stay the course with Azasite/azithromycin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - need encouragement to stay the course with Azasite/azithromycin

I've read some good things on this board about azithromycin. Just about a month ago I had an appointment with a new eye doc, who started me on a 6-week course of Azasite. I understand from others on this board that this medication can cause eye redness during the course of treatment.

It's always hard to say exactly what causes eye redness with constantly changing weather and other variables we cannot always be aware of, but I am having, as expected, increased eye redness. However, I am now noticing what looks like a light sheen of redness on the underside of one eye in particular. It isn't a bright sheen, but it is new.

Does anyone know if this is likely because of the treatment? And by increased eye redness, have those of you who have used azithromycin noticed increased inflammation as well? It almost seems as if after I use the drops a night, lately my eyes seem a little clearer...but overall, every day, even Lumify cannot clear my eyes up for more than 5-10 minutes.

Thank you!!

I used this for 4 weeks and had increased redness and inflammation as well. The doctor told me this was a normal side effect.

I don't think you are supposed to use any other eye drops why you are on this. If you are using redness relievers it is possible that the chemicals in them are reacting with the Azasite and making this worse.

I would just accept the redness as it is a known side effect and put up with the redness for the 6 weeks. It will subside once you stop using it.

Comment

Alix, this is a good point. Thank you.

I am thinking that my doc said I could continue with my lubrication drops and ointment at night. Redness reducing drops would be different, of course!

Comment

Please be careful with the Lumify. It is preserved with 0.01% benzalkonium chloride which means it can increase dry eye as well as redness.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X