IPL vs sauna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL vs sauna

I tried warm compresses a few times (~16 minutes, bundle method). I feel relief but it is quite short. At the same time after the sauna I feel relief for about 24 hours. Also I recently played tennis for about 3 hours and later also felt relief for ~12 hours. Seems like intensive processes which affect overall body secretions are quite beneficial.

AFAIK, IPL affects "deep" structures inside and near eyelids (like cheeks) in order to loosen meibum. Could the sauna have similar effect? It warms the whole body for prolonged period of time, so like IPL it can also affect "deep" body structures. The sauna and warm compresses are just on different levels, because compress is a local "treatment" which heats only eyelids (and even there it heats them less efficiently I guess). So, could sauna activate the same "deep" processes as IPL to keep the meibum flowing?

P.S.: I must mention that by "sauna" I mean wet steam

Wet steam has been very effective in opening up the glands in my eyelids and also clearing nasal passages. I had problems with both and I use a Conair facial steamer and I always feel much better after using it and like you it seems to give relief all day. I tried IPL few times and it actually created inflammation for me.

Comment

The exact mechanism of action for IPL is unknown. It is theorized that IPL mechanism is related to light (and hence the term, intense pulsed light), and the effect of light's energy on the cell. So consequently no, sauna will most likely not replicate the effects of IPL.

Comment

Yeah, the effect of light's energy on the inner tissues. That's what I meant - both IPL and sauna apply quite some energy to the inner tissues (and not just eyelids), which in turn melts meibum and possibly affects glands themselves. If you never been in wet sauna I suggest you to try it, then you'd see what I mean. It might be not as effective as IPL, but it might trigger the same mechanisms, because in the end we want the oil flowing for prolonged period of time, and sauna definitely helping with that.

It would be very interesting if you test the effects of wet sauna (and compare it to IPL), but you're already on a remission so the test might be not as relevant. I myself would be very interested in such test, but I don't have an access to IPL

Comment

The mechanism of action is not heat. It's not about melting the meibum -- its about the light penetrating the cells and biological changes at the cellular level.

Comment

I guess I should just buy Lumenis M22 and steal the code for custom protocol impulses then...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey_V View Post
              I guess I should just buy Lumenis M22 and steal the code for custom protocol impulses then...
              I assume you are joking. Do not consider self treating, you could end up blind....eye protection protocol is of utmost importance with IPL

Comment

Thanks, at first I thought I only can joke now, but then I actually found out that just recently (few months ago) ophthalmological IPL has reached my country as well! I'm hoping to soon figure out where I can be treated

Comment

I just had my 7th treatment yesterday, it has helped a lot. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                    I just had my 7th treatment yesterday, it has helped a lot. Good luck
                    7-th IPL? Congrats!

Comment

farmgirl Thank you

deep_dry_eye how long should initial treatment course last and in what frequency? I found a place, Dr Toyos himself participated in its opening. They generally do the first course like so: 1 procedure (IPL + manual gland expression) every 2 weeks for 2 months (4 in total). Then 1 procedure every 6-12 months. It is probably a "general" approach and it may vary per patient. But how initial IPL course generally done in USA?

Comment

farmgirl Thank you

deep_dry_eye how long should initial treatment course last and in what frequency? I found a place, Dr Toyos himself participated in its opening. They generally do the first course like so: 1 procedure (IPL + manual gland expression) every 2 weeks for 2 months (4 in total). Then 1 procedure every 6-12 months. It is probably a "general" approach and it may vary per patient. But how initial IPL course generally done in USA?
                        My opinion is that every patient, every doctor, every protocol is slightly different. Personally, my most effective rounds of IPL are once every 3-4wks, do upper and lower lids. I am on it non-stop, i.e., I do it roughly monthly.

I do not believe any 1 treatment contributed to my treatment success, but the combination of all. I am currently on monthly IPL, Restasis and Xiidra. I am also on Omega 3s and GLA. I have gone from being bed ridden to back to the computer working 10+ hrs a day.

Comment

By "upper lids" you mean their manual expression? It seems like IPL itself is applied ear to ear, so - close to lower lids...

Edit: also, how much Omega 3s and GLA you taking?

Comment

By "upper lids" you mean their manual expression? It seems like IPL itself is applied ear to ear, so - close to lower lids...

Edit: also, how much Omega 3s and GLA you taking?
                            Upper lids as in IPL applied to upper lids. They will do it if you have cornea (metal) shieldings.

I take around 2500-3000mg of Omega 3 (EPA+DHA) (4/5 tablets of Nordic naturals Ultimate Omega 3 or PRN Omega 3) and around 1500mg of GLA per day (4 tablets of HydroEye).

Comment

Looks similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yvq3QzQr0w
                              So you do only lids as in this video, but not cheeks?

I think my place might be not that advanced (so they might not do upper lids). They started to use IPL only a few months ago, I think they don't even have any custom protocol yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X