Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG
    replied
    I can't do high elevation. Makes my eyes scream.

Leave a comment:

• gilles
    replied
    A really good thing to try would be to live somewhere else for a few months (6 months for example, enough to see a difference happen. 1 week diets don't exist, same for relocation changes). Maybe you notice differences already, even if it's in the same city (allergy to pets, no AC, less air pollution, different trees and bushes which might trigger allergies, etc.).
    Even when thinking of moving abroad, I would first do a trial for a few months if possible.

Leave a comment:

• farmgirl
    replied
    Where abouts do you live?...Winterpeg?

Leave a comment:

• How
    replied
    Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
    I am from Canada and spend part of my winters in Panama. I am definitely more comfortable in the winter while in Panama because of the high humidity but at the same time I struggle a bit with the constant air movement from overhead fans which are necessary to feel comfortable temperature wise. I don't think there is any 'perfect' climate 365 days a year but some are definitely better than others.
    I'm from Canada too..I can't do minus forty again, (was like that last year where I live.)

Leave a comment:

• How
    replied
    Originally posted by SAAG View Post
    Be sure to consider the following when researching a potential destination to relocate to:

1. Temperature - the colder it gets outside, the harder it is to maintain high indoor humidity without causing moisture to condense on your windows/doors

2. Humidity - higher humidity climates are easier on the eyes than lower humidity ones - also be sure to consider whether the area you might move to has high humidity all year, or if it has dry seasons where humidity drops to levels that will be uncomfortable to you (i.e. not from winter, but merely from a warm-weather dry season)

3. Air quality - consider the following influencing factors
    >>> air pollution from vehicle exhaust and industry (this site is good for getting an idea of local trends: http://aqicn.org)
    >>>dust storms (depends on the country, of course... some regions are more susceptible to this, others don't get it at all)
    >>>people burning garbage/debris in the neighbourhood
    >>>people setting bonfires in nearby yards/parks whether in small firepits or larger ones)
    >>>>seasonal factors (ex. forest fire potential since smoke can blow quite some distance from the fire)

4. Wind - low-wind regions are preferable, although wind can be managed somewhat by wearing snug-fitting moisture chamber glasses

Finally, consider where your income will come from if you make such a move. If you can find a suitable climate region in your own country, that's the easiest since you'll be legally allowed to work. But if you must move to a NEW country, then things become more challenging since depending on your circumstances, you may not be allowed to actually find a job there.
    Thank you for this list, it's very helpful. I had not seen the air quality index site before, that will come in handy. For now I'm thinking long term vacation in a country that is high humidity, I am just not sure about how much wind they get. The area I was thinking of staying has a fairly stable climate, usually above freezing not too hot not too cold. There is no risk of forest fires as there aren't enough trees and as there are not many people living in that area I think (hope) other kinds of burning would be at a minimum if it happened at all. I'd be on the ocean too so that helps a lot...and it's way nicer than where I live.

Leave a comment:

• farmgirl
    replied
    I am from Canada and spend part of my winters in Panama. I am definitely more comfortable in the winter while in Panama because of the high humidity but at the same time I struggle a bit with the constant air movement from overhead fans which are necessary to feel comfortable temperature wise. I don't think there is any 'perfect' climate 365 days a year but some are definitely better than others.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    There's always hope! Hang in there!
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 22:11.

Leave a comment:

• Moving to another country or vacationing long term due to dry eyes

I am curious to know how many have had to do this. I live in a country that gets really cold winters sometimes, and after my experiences last year where I couldn't leave the house when it went below zero, I'm terrified now of what may go on next winter. I would welcome any stories or advice on moving or traveling to beat the hard dry eye winters. Need to feel hopeful that I might manage it too.
Working...
X