Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use NatraSan long term?

Hi,

I've been using NatraSan for maybe a few months now and just wondering if this is safe to use long term.

I'd like to know this also. I assumed there is no long term data since all of these hypochlorous acid sprays were only introduced into the dry market over the past few years, therefore it's likely that no long term data (i.e. spanning decades, for example) is available.

Comment

I would assume that too. I've been using Natrasan for a few months now, I really hope this isn't going to cause problems down the line. Next eye care pro I see I will ask if they think it could be harmful, and post back.

Comment

I expect we are the testers for long term use here. Is there even a study going on?

Comment

I have not heard of a study but then I haven't searched exhaustively looking for one either.

Comment

woodart , How , any follow up on using Natrasan? Do you still (effectively) use it?

Comment

I still am using it. My last visit with the doc was decent. She was impressed by how I was using it and hopefully the next visit will at the very least show things are not getting worse. But the bleph and mgd are not bothering me that I know of right now. I don't expect it will cure it but will take whatever I can get. No longer taking doxy now which I prefer not to. I use it at night by spraying it on my eyes closed before putting on my eyeseals. I am going to keep going with it unless something changes.

Comment

I tried BlephaSol for 2 months, as per what my doctor advised but I think it irritated the eyelids and did not have that well of an effect. Also, I use cyclosporine eyedrops and am afraid that using strong anti-bacterials like natrasan and blephasol might affect these eyedrops.
                Anyway, I'm starting to think that only people who have inflammation caused by bacteria and debris should use things like blephasol and natrasan to clean their eyelids. My inflammation gets worse when looking at TV or computer screen (really feeling the upper eyelids getting warmer in a matter of minutes), so more vision-related I guess.

Anyway, maybe I'll try natrasan in the future. Would you mind sharing how you use it? Do you just spray it on your closed eyes?

Comment

Personally I just spray it on my closed eyes before putting on my eyeseals.

Comment

Originally posted by gilles View Post
                    woodart , How , any follow up on using Natrasan? Do you still (effectively) use it?
                    Hi, sorry I took so long to answer.

I don't use it as much as I used to. My optometrist was concerned about my using it, as apparently there are good bacteria in the eye and you don't want to get rid of them. So I'm sort of at a loss for what to do now.

I was using a kind of eye wipe after that but it seems it maybe increased the number of lashes I was losing and if you get it in your eyes you have to rinse them out. It seemed a bit of a bother to me so I stopped that too.

Last edited by How; 19-Feb-2020, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by How View Post

Hi, sorry I took so long to answer.

I don't use it as much as I used to. My optometrist was concerned about my using it, as apparently there are good bacteria in the eye and you don't want to get rid of them. So I'm sort of at a loss for what to do now.

I was using a kind of eye wipe after that but it seems it maybe increased the number of lashes I was losing and if you get it in your eyes you have to rinse them out. It seemed a bit of a bother to me so I stopped that too.
                      I think cleaning the eyelids is mostly done with people who have some specific kind of skin type (e.g. oily skin). My experience with cleaning the eyelids (I've done in this particular order of application: the warmth compresses, blephasteam, massages and bacteria killing products like BlephaSol for cleanup) is that it irritates too much and it made it worse. At a certain moment I could not tolerate light anymore. Now I don't really have that much a problem with light anymore.
                      What could help are things that influence your skin, and the secreting of sebum by glands (stress, hormones, the kind of food you eat, the kind of soap you use and how regularly you wash your face/use the soap).

Since I wear my prescription glasses I can honestly say my eyes are less dry (maybe it protects against wind, but it also eases the eye against eye strain if needed). This with eyedrops (only when really dry) seem to help. I also ordered a humidifier (and purification in one) as to keep it moisterous and preserving the quality of the air.

On a side note, I also use cyclosporine eyedrops 3 times a day, but am not sure as to their effectiveness. My eyelids are less inflamed, my eyes are less dry, but to which change in my routine I have to thank it, I would not really know. Certainly by stopping the eyelid cleaning, no doubt!

Comment

Now all I'm doing to clean my eyelids is using q-tips, sometimes with Natrasan sprayed on them (to prevent adding more germs.) I seem to lose less eyelashes doing this.

Comment

Working...
                        X