Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systane and more tearing Question

Hi there,

I've had tearing for years, chronically.
    An Ophthalmologist recently gave me Systane eye drops. I think it was Systane Complete.
    I tried it a couple times, but just noticed the tearing of my eye got worse. And just this morning, after using it last night, I woke up with gunk in my eyelashes and eye, like they were crusted over and slightly shut -- like it was an eye infection or something.

About a week ago, I had searched the internet for Systane and it's side effects', and I'm positive I read one sentence that said if you experienced more tearing, to immediately stop using it, because it was indicative of a bacterial infection (and not related to dry eye) -- and that would make sense with the weird crusting of my eyes this morning.
    I wanted to show my doctor this, and now I have searched and searched for this web page that I swear I read it from, and I can't find it now!

Has anyone heard of this?
    I guess the other question is, is it normal to have crusting in your lashes and eyes the next morning with Systane?
    Last edited by wakeupscreaming; 29-Jul-2019, 00:45.

Have you seen an oculoplastic doctor? Sounds like you have a blocked tear duct. I had this problem years ago and the doctor placed a stent /tube in my tear duct for 3 months and the tear duct has remained open.

Comment

I am surprised your ophthalmologist told you to use Systane Complete, especially as you say your tearing is chronic.

It contains preservatives so it is highly possible your eyes are reacting to that. They say that if you need to use eye drops multiple times a day, you need to use preservative free ones.

I have used Systane Complete before as well as Systane Balance just to see what happened and the burning was insane. I believe this was because of the preservatives as when I use the preservative free vials Systane Ultra, there is no burning, just the opposite in fact.

I would stop using the Systane Complete immediately, go back to your doctor and get your eyes checked out for infection. It does not sound at all normal to have crusting in the morning.

Comment

Working...
      X