No announcement yet.

I'm trying the blood in eye treatment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying the blood in eye treatment!

I've been a dry eye sufferer for ten years now. For the first couple of years I had a hell coping. The main reason for this was that I looked at screens constantly and rarely took breaks. Today I only use screens during daytime, with breaks every 20 minutes and my eyes feel much better. I experience pain at some point every day but it is manageable. Even though my quality of life is high it would be nice to have my eyes back to normal. Therefore, I have decided to try the blood in eye treatment, also known as the Fingerprick Autologous Blood-treatment, or FAB-treatment.

A 16 patient study back in 2017 showed very promising results: https://www.nature.com/articles/eye2017118

16 people is of course way too few to consider a study trustworthy. For me it's more of a small teaser that there could be something of value in this treatment. There is another study coming with 90 patients, https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03395431 . I contacted Dr. Anant Sharma who is in charge of the study. Unfortunately he told me that the results are yet to be analyzed.

Anyways, the risks are slim and I am curious. Therefore I am setting out on a 14 day trial of this treatment. If you look at Figure 1 a little less than half down the page on https://www.nature.com/articles/eye2017118 you'll see that much of the results have already kicked in after 14 days, even though things keep improving afterwards (especially TBUT).

I will do it a little different than the study participants. Four times a day is simply too much for me. I will do it once in the morning, once when I get home from work around 4 o'clock and once just before bedtime.

I put my first drop of blood in about an hour ago now. So far I'm impressed. It feels better than any eye drop I've ever used, but this is probably only due to excitement and placebo. I will keep you posted and don't hesitate to ask me any questions. Wish me luck!

Very excited and interested in how you get on. Please keep us posted. Want to hear all about it. Thank you.

Comment

Day 2: So far it's all going very well. I was a little scared about pricking myself the first few times but now I'm accustomed to it. I still feel the blood is better than most eye drops. It feels very soothing right afterwards.

Comment

Thank you please keep us updated! What method are you using to extract the blood from your fingers? A lancet?

Comment

Have you tried Autologous Blood Serum tears? They draw your blood, centrifuge it to separate out the serum, and then they mix it with saline (you could also just go full serum) and then they put it in sterile eye drops.

Comment

Day 3: Now it actually feel's worth. I haven't been able to sit as long in front of the computer as I'm used to.

Comment

Brilliant. Please keep posting. Much appreciated.

Comment

Hows it going?

Comment

Yes, I'm using a lancet. No, I have not tried Autologous Blood Serum tears.
                  I'm at day 6 now and so far it has been a disappointment. My eyes feel somewhat worse than without the blood. If things don't start to improve soon I will abort this project.

Comment

Olympusmons. Please talk to us. Excited to hear how it's going. X

Comment

Originally posted by LindaDawn View Post
                      Olympusmons. Please talk to us. Excited to hear how it's going. X
                      Linda Im going to give it a go tomorrow, Ill post an update on here

Comment

Wondering about the risk of getting an eye infection? Please keep posting

Comment

Talk to us pleaseSirDryEye

Comment

LindaDawn I haven't seen any improvement, but then again its only be a few days. Most of my attempts to put the blood in my eye haven't been successful, its quite fiddly and pricking myself isn't a nice experience and fingers feel sore. I'll give another update on Monday morning (2 and a bit days time). Didn't feel the soothing effect that Olympus felt, may be the blood drops weren't big enough!

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully in time you will feel a difference. I am a nurse working in a diabetic outpatient so pricking my finger would be second nature to me. Try using a different finger each time and at the sides of the fingers too, you have less nerves there so maybe less painfull,

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X