Dry eyes and high power!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes and high power!!!

I was a baby born with a prescription of about -3 diopters! It was due to some genetic condition, and it affected my whole life until now. My eyesight kept deteriorating ever since. By the time I was in high school, it reached -10 diopters. I was afraid of using contact lenses because I have dry eyes. Hence I had these big glasses which were extremely thick on my eyes. I didn't like the way it made me look, even after trying different styles of frames. Those glasses made my eyes look so small behind them. I was waiting for the moment when I will turn 18. Now that I finally am, I have looked for Laser eye surgery clinics nearby. My eye power is at -15 diopters and has been stable for about a year. I wonder if Laser eye surgery will improve my eyesight altogether? Has anyone here with power above -10 diopters, and have dry eyes tried LASIK and got the desired results? Please do leave your insights! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

What about Scleral contacts? Lasik by everything I have seen here sounds too risky to me. Might at least be worth asking. They would help with dry eyes as well as vision. Just a thought.

Comment

Existing dry eyes and LASIK is a big no no. Even the FDA say it means you're not a Ideal candidate.

Please do your research!

https://lasikcomplications.com/

Many on here because LASIK gave them dry eyes.

https://lasiksuicides.com/

​​​​​​​Btw I'm a LASIK victim!

Comment

Rebecca Petris please advise above

Comment

I would highly recommend NO to LASIK beyond just dry eye risks, but also retina due to your extreme prescription. Scleral contacts may be an option, however personally I believe you should be proud of yourself and don't mind the thick glasses.

You appear to be a special case, do not listen to a regular run-the-mill dr, especially those who sell you LASIK (and benefit from them). Find a true eye expert dr for your genetic condition and consult them.

Comment

Hi Leppins,

Both of my kids got up to -10 diopters at one point and were wearing glasses by 1 1/2 years old. The prescriptions slowly got stronger. You should find a really good optometrist and have a long conversation. As I recall, it is normal for the vision to get worse, then it plateaus and begins to improve. There is a natural progression. You also very likely have other relatives with high diopters, so question them in depth about their prescription levels at various ages. For example my daughter was initially diagnosed at -7 diopters then worked her way up to 10. But when she turned 17 years old, it began to improve. It has dropped down to seven. This happened to her grandmother, who eventually dropped down to 5.

I am very surprised that you are not aware of high index lenses. These lenses almost eliminate the coke bottle look. They are much thinner. There are tons of people with high diopters; you just don't know it because they are wearing high index lenses. Usually they won't prescribe these for children, but if you are a teenager then your optometrist should have given you this option. You cannot play sports with high index glasses. Don't be afraid to ask your optometrist a lot of questions.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
            X