using eye ointment in the day time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using eye ointment in the day time

I suffer from severe dry eye, especially at work im in agony sat at my computer and with the air conditioning.

Can i use Eye Ointment ( Xailin Night / VitaA-POS) in the day time as this seems to reduce the sensation of bone dry eyes?
    Are there any issues with using ointment in the day time, e.g. with the meibian glands or other ocular issues?

Hi. I went through a recent period when I used VitAPos for approximately 6 weeks in my lunch break whilst working and at home midday/ early afternoon when I was suffering from incredibly burning eyes and felt it help. I have stopped now over Xmas period as have been busy and eyes not quite so horrendous. I told my ophthalmologist who I really rate that was what I was doing and she said if it helps then that’s fine. However I know a lot of people on these forum don’t rate ointments as they feel they may clog up the meibomian glands. i have mgd and my ophthalmologist has still been able to express my oils. I only use a minimum amount.

Comment

Ive used ointment during the daytime before, the problem is as the surface of the eye is sticky, it attracts dust. Its even worse if you are outside and walking around, all kinds of stuff gets stuck in your eyes, so I wouldnt recommend it. I wear glasses so there was some degree of protection, I would imagine it would be even worse if you didnt. Ointment works best at night when your eyes are closed.

Comment

I've recently discovered that using Refresh Liquigel is helpful at work. I see that there is a preservative free gel drop by Refresh that I'm going to check out, as I use these drops more frequently than is probably recommended for a product with preservatives. Also, have you tried moisture chamber glasses? I use those at work, in the theater, etc. and it really helps with eye comfort.

Good luck!

Comment

Back when my eyes were bone dry and I was always in debilitating pain, only a gel gave me relief both day and night, not regular drops or gel drops. To limit the gel from clogging my glands further, I used Ocusoft Lidscrub Plus Foam to clean my lid margins a few times during the day, as well as morning and evening. In addition to the gel, I also wore moisture goggles during the day and night goggles while sleeping, which helped keep out dust particles and air, as well as it seemed to extend how long the gel lasted on my eyes so I did not need to reapply as often.

Typical eye ointments were too thick and made my eyes feel worse. The only gel that did help me both night and day was Genteal Severe Dry Eye gel, which provided a soothing, moist feeling and longer lasting layer of protection than any eye drops or gel drops could. The Genteal does have a preservative in it that says it dissipates once on the eye and is supposed to be safer than BAK. I used it at least three years with no significant problems, it’s a long time favorite of many severe dry eye patients. I think Systane Gel Overnight Therapy is similar to the Genteal, both made by Alcon. However I don’t think either are currently available in the UK. But if you can get your hands one of these, it might be worth a try.

https://dryeyeshop.com/products/genteal-gel

Something else that temporarily gives my eyes a little more moisture is the oral Rx pill Evoxac (generic name Cevimeline). It originally was prescribed to give salivary moisture to patients with extremely dry mouth from other drugs or autoimmune disease, but a side benefit is for some people it also makes the eyes more moist. If I’m going to use my eyes more than normal, fly on a plane with dry air, etc., this helps give me some extra moisture. Some doctors prescribe Salagen (Pilocarpine) instead of Cevimeline, but my doctor said Salagen was not as effective.

Comment

Hi folks, just ordered some Thea Thealoz Duo Gel from amazon. Will use it at work and see how i get on;
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thea-Thealo...221672&sr=8-10

Hokucat, the 'Genteal Severe Dry Eye gel' seems hard to get in the uk. if it is available its over £40 on a few selected websites !!

I'll check out the moisture chamber glasses, see if any retailers sell them near me in England so i can try them on.

Comment

Hi Orange86. I use Theoloz duo gel all the time. It’s very gentle on the eye and soothing. I much prefer it to viscotears as it comes out of the ampule much easier. The ampules are small and fit very discreetly in your pocket.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately the Genteal Gel does not appear available in the UK except by price gougers!

holly123 recently mentioned a UK company in the post below that sells moisture goggles and can send a few in the mail to try on. Perhaps reach out to her for further info, do a search in this forum for moisture chamber goggles in UK, and/or do a new post entitled something like “Moisture Chamber Goggles in UK?” asking for UK members input where they bought theirs.

http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...ate-discomfort
                Last edited by Hokucat; 05-Jan-2020, 14:50.

Comment

Hi Hokucat, I read on your post you tried testosterone cream for your eyes - did that help? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X