Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry eye has gotten worse this year. Maybe due to wearing mask at work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye has gotten worse this year. Maybe due to wearing mask at work?

So I've had dry eye for around 3 years. After some dramatic lifestyle changes (alkaline diet, no coffee, low sugar, little gluten) it seemed to stabilize. I could do some normal things like use my ipad, play games, watch TV. However this year, and ever since Spring I've had a much harder time. My eyes seem to be half-red most days and looking at screens disturbs my eyes far more easily.

I wonder if it isn't because I work in a grocery store and must wear a mask for 7-8 hours a day. I believe the mask irritates them since the material redirects your warm breath onto your eyes... just as how glasses fog up. No mask I've tried has a tight enough seal to prevent this. And of course not wearing a mask is out of the question.

I'm just wondering if others have noticed this, or if it could be allergies? I went to an eye doctor recently and she suggested Pataday. I'm still debating this since I'm not sure I have allergies, and my eyes aren't "itchy" which seems to be the primary symptom.

You might want to consider trying Pataday. I don't have allergies and my eyes weren't itchy but I had inflammation. Patanol (now it is Pataday) was the first thing that helped me. I think it has mast cell stabilizers that help with inflammation.

Comment

Yes, just as with fogging of the glasses the airflow caused by the warm, humid breath dries the eyes out. I also noticed this at work.
      You could try a plexi mask.

Comment

We're still required to wear masks, even if we have a face shield. I've been searching for some no fog masks on Etsy and some of them look interesting, with sort of a seperate fold for the nose. But I think more likely than not it will have no effect on breath reaching the eyes.

Might try Pataday just out of desperation. My doctor and I have been discussing regener-eyes, and I might go that route but not sure I'm ready to commit financially.

Comment

Working...
        X