Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New £1500 monitor is secretly a flame thrower!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New £1500 monitor is secretly a flame thrower!

So I bought an LG 38GL950G monitor which is a top of the range IPS panel. It was default around 400nits and I used it for 2 days solid thinking wow what a vivid image but then my eyes just suddenly imploded and 2 weeks later there’s no respite despite me getting more sleep, improving diet and using eye drops! I reduced the brightness to level 18 instead of 75 and now it sits around 120nits which is the normal range! I doubt this impact would have effected a normal user in this way and it’s time I find out what on earth is going on!

I moved house recently and set my office up with an adjustable standing desk, under desk treadmill and other stuff.

My next steps with my severely limited knowledge:

* Thyroid test since I have a variable thyroid (was overactive and had to take radioactive iodine to shrink it and render myself under active but take thyroid meds)
    * Visual stress test / colometry test / photophobia test (the brightness gave me all the systems of photophobia including chest pain) https://www.theraspecs.com/photophobia-ultimate-guide/ more here
    * get some new prescription lenses, try new eye drops
    * TBUT Tear breakup time test / Meibomian gland express
    * Consider IPL (intense pulse light) treatment by dryeye clinic in London
    * Eye exercises https://youtu.be/QQ3ki1dCcnw

All I want to know is that the tears are forming correctly so I can isolate the room cause of things, I’m 41 and been a heavy PC user of the last 25 years so I guess this day was coming but it feels it’s been triggered from the light exposure so I’m wondering if that’s my main issue really. I do run business stuff at day and play games at night but neither are an option now; I’m even considering ways to totally avoid a career with computers but that’s just not feasible and digital is the safest place to be running a business these days!

I'm In okay shape, don’t smoke or drink to excess and do exercise. In the last 7 years I’ve used a 24 inch Benq TN panel which I’d have thought was worse for eye strain and although I did have issues with this one too I was okay after getting some new prescription glasses and used a blue light software tool called iris.

Ive joined here as the community seems really honest and friendly and I’m willing to give anything a go. It looks like you guys have been in my shoes and managed to get cured or manage the situation, I hope I can learn from your experiences so that I don’t have to give up my career pretty much.

I’m in Leeds but not sure on who to see or the right tests to organise

cheers in advance

Yoda says hi!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
Working...
X