X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are scleral lenses very hit or miss?

Hi everyone,

I am fortunate here to be someone whose dry eye is not debilitating on a regular basis, however, it gives me all kinds of problems when I want to wear contacts. For about 10 years (since I was ~13) I have struggled to tolerate soft lenses (it was ok at first and progressively worse through my teens & 20s). I hate wearing glasses (vanity, convenience, etc.) so a year ago I tried ortho K.

I've been using ortho K more or less successfully, but don't like how high maintenance it is, and am hoping to transition away from them. But I don't want to go back to glasses. So I'm hoping to try scleral lenses.

Doing a search here, I'm seeing that many have not had good results. In my case, I'm not so much looking for actual relief from dry eyes, but rather, just find contact lenses I can tolerate. Based on that, which I believe is a different goal from many users, should I still remain optimistic they will work for me? How hard are they to fit?

Thanks for any information!!

I would suggest finding someone to fit them for you. The only way to know if they will work is to try them.

Comment

Um yes, but going through that can be a big hassle as well as very expensive... I'm asking from ppl who have tried them (since I actually have not seen any real success stories) if they think it would be a futile waste of time & money for me

Comment

Hi kjj17,

I have been down the scleral lenses route (I'm a high myope with dry eyes) but unfortunately despite lots of trial and error with different fittings and spending the money, they didn't work out for me and the length of time I could wear for them for, decreased rather than the other way round. Having said that, I wouldn't want to discourage you from exploring the idea.I wonder if, without spending too much money you could get an appointment with someone who could advise you straight off the bat, whether or not you'd be a good candidate for sclerals and maybe let you pop in some non-prescription scleral lenses for a short time, so you can see how they feel and if you get on with handling them and putting them in and out (they are quite fiddly!). I have seen in other posts that sclerals are more suited for aqueous-deficiency dry eye, than MGD in case that's a factor for you. I don't know what soft lenses you've tried in the past but I'm now wearing acuvue moist daily disposables, which I can more or less tolerate, just in case that might be an option for you as well. I do hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

I wear sclera lenses for dry eye but mostly for vision ( I have an irregular cornea due to lasik 11 years ago, so I have no choice). My lenses fit really well but my eyes still get very dry and sometimes they are uncomfortable. I still have to use drops but I think they are better than having nothing over your cornea (esp in the office environment which is HORRIBLE). I also have issues with mucus build ut because my eyes are so dry it cannot wash it away. It sometimes gets on the lens and in my vision. Can be really annoying but I have learned to deal with these issues because I have to wear them. I had a 3 month trial period. ( paid up from but I would get a portion of the money back if they did not work. I think it was the processing part they would not reimburse me for) But I never had to do that because I still wear them. I have had then for about 16 months.

Comment

thanks a bunch! I was able to visit the famous Dr. Latkany and he told me sclerals were not a good idea for me, that most of my dryness comes from sleeping with my eyes open o.o oops! haha

Comment

Working...
            X