This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSL issues after 2 years

Its beenalmost 2.5 years since im wearing boston sclerallense.I had 3/4 different mades tried before i chose final pair of lense.Sooveralli was not satisfied with the set of lense i had to choose because free time was lapsed.
    Now im begining to experience following problems with the lense.
    1-wear time reduced
    2-Everytime i wear lense, vision gets blurred within minutes.Reinsertions also last for minutes.
    3-Every itchy and dry lids.
    4-increased light sensitivity.
    5-Somuch disconfort and slight burning around the eyes.

Now a days my eye pressure which used to be around 18, has come downto 10. IS there any possibility that such pressure change needs lense refit?
    Do i need plasma treatment for the lenses to get rid of these problems?

Overall quality of life has worsen now. i have appointment with bfs clinic 2 weeks later.
    If anyone has experienced such problems pl let me know possible remedy to be discussed at clinic.
    Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

I can't answer anything about the intraocular pressure (but I wouldn't be surprised if that is a factor). But I can say that when the plasma treatment wears off it can make a very big difference to the comfort and wear time. Seems like getting the plasma treatment re-done is a reasonable first step. They do that by mail I think. I don't know what the current arrangements are but it used to be free to get that re-done.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank u rebecca for a quick response!
      To add to the description, whenever i soak lense with h2o2 solution with catalyst disc, i feel more comfort.but not upto 100% still.
      I reside in India.When i first bought the lense and i had not so good comfort with them, i had inquired about plasma treatment.They said it would charge 150$ per lense to get it done.But they said lense is already plasma treated then.
      So i think it will cost me these much.
      Do u think 2 years time span is normal for plasma wearoff?
      Last edited by hirentherock; 02-Dec-2014, 05:50.

Comment

Hi, there. The symptoms you are experiencing (with the exception of the eye pressure) sound like they are due to the wearing of plasma on the surface of your lenses. I have to have my scleral lenses recoated with plasma treatment EVERY year. The underside of my eye lids are rough due to extreme dry eyes, and act much like fine sand paper, sloughing the plasma coating. I have been able to get the plasma coating done locally (USA) at a contact lens lab for a nominal fee. I would check to see if you could get this done locally where you live. It is apparently a fairly simple process according to the technician who does it for me. He charges me $25/lens while waiting at the office 30 minutes.

Comment

Hello miki
          I also have same rough and dry eyelids.Even i have been advised a lid smoothening surgery as well.But some doctors are against it so im keeping it on hold.
          I think here in India, we dont have plasma treatment being done locally.The bfs clinic here seems to send the lense at boston for plasma coating hence charging us more.
          How much time u worn the lenses before u went for first plasma treatment?

Comment

It was approximately after a year that I had the plasma treatment done on my lenses. It made a noticeable difference. Do you have access to protein remover products? They are made by several companies, including Bausch & Lomb. Using this product weekly to remove protein deposits has made a difference in comfort of my lenses, as well.

By lid smoothing surgery, do you mean mucous membrane graft, where the surgeon removes a piece of mucosal tissue from your mouth and suture on to the affected eye lid? I had this done to my eye lids, and it has made a huge difference for me. I used to suffer from repeated corneal erosions. Since the surgery, I haven't had a single one. Where in India do you live? I know that there are several excellent eye hospitals in Hydrabad.

Comment

wow
              U gave me the needed info without asking for it!
              I m so very confused about whether i shud go on with the surgery or not.I live in gujarat but i get treatment from Chennai, sankara nethralaya eye hospital.
              From here only i was advised to have mucous membrane grafting + ibrin glue.Yes its the same surgery u had already done and im happy to know u have improved from it.
              One doctor at sankara nethralaya advised me this surgery but other senior doctor was not fully convinced for it and he said to keep it on hold.Other opthalmologists near my place also are wary of this surgery,

Yes i have had a protein cleaner of a local brand.But it dsnt seem to make noticeable difference.
              I want to know pros and cons of this surgery u have had.Whats d excat procedure? may i know thickness of ur cornea? mine is 480 um and 280um L n R.
              what pre and post operative measures u took?did u get prescribed oral steroids after surgery?for how many days before and fter surgery u couldnt wear sclerals?How many days u need to be hospitalized?etc pl let me knw

Comment

If the protein cleanser did not help, it may be that you need to have your lenses plasma treated. When ever I get it done, I notice a big difference. I can see more clearly and the lenses feel more comfortable.

Comment

miki (or L8rgator/DiD): what contact lens lab do you take them to get them re-treated? I'm just curious, as I am hoping to get the lenses made by Dr G as well, and knowing you too are wearing these, I would want to try to line up a place that can do these for me, and have some assurances that they will do it correctly. I am located in Oregon. Do you know if one can also send them back to Texas to have their lab do it?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                    miki (or L8rgator/DiD): what contact lens lab do you take them to get them re-treated? I'm just curious, as I am hoping to get the lenses made by Dr G as well, and knowing you too are wearing these, I would want to try to line up a place that can do these for me, and have some assurances that they will do it correctly. I am located in Oregon. Do you know if one can also send them back to Texas to have their lab do it?
                    There is a specialty lens lab in Denver that offers the service. I also found out another optometrist where my son goes to offers this service. There are more & optometrists in the US fitting the scleral lenses, and most of them will offer the plasma retreat services. I was at my son's optometrist recently, and we talked about what plasma treatment is. It's not any kind of physical coating, but a physical treatment which causes the lens surface to repel protein and other debris. I thought all along that it is some kind of coating which wears off, but not that at all.

Comment

Plasma GP Lens Treatment

What is the plasma treatment process?
                      Cold gas plasma is an energetic process utilizing electrical energy to transform the molecular structure of a contact lens surface. This creates desirable surface properties engineered to enhance wettability and comfort. While studies have not been undertaken for performance properties other than wetting, products such as contact lenses and intraocular lenses have been successfully modified by plasma treatment to:

Improve wettability
                      Enhance patient comfort
                      GP lenses treated with plasma are ideal for:

Patients with dry eyes
                      New GP lens wearers
                      Presbyopic patients
                      Planned replacement schedules

Comment

Thank you miki-mama for the great info

Comment

Working...
                        X