Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to insert and remove a scleral lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take to insert and remove a scleral lens?

A couple people asked me how long it takes to insert and remove my scleral lens, so I finally videotaped it so I could time it. It's the top video on this page -
    http://l8rgator.weebly.com/

I wanted to also point out that I do hold my eye slightly differently than I was taught I think. I start close to my nose. I roll my middle finger in to move my lower lid down and out, sometimes touching my eyeball in the process. Then I pull my top lid up with my index finger. As I do this both fingers slide back on my eye to center.

The rolling motion helps me get my eye wider than I can with my thumb. And since there aren't any fingernails in the way, the fingers have a little more friction to hold on to the slippery lids.

I'll add, from personal experience, apply any eye cream AFTER lens insertion. It's hard to keep those lids open when you've got eye cream making things slippery!

Comment

It takes me about 2 minutes to get them in, assuming there are no bubbles. And about 10 seconds to get them both out.

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
        I'll add, from personal experience, apply any eye cream AFTER lens insertion. It's hard to keep those lids open when you've got eye cream making things slippery!
        Yep, unless my lids and fingers are completely dry and oil free there is no way I'm able to open them long enough to get a lens in there! Which is probably good because then I can't ever get lazy about washing my hands or eye properly just before putting my lens in. I do tend to otherwise be the lazy type

Comment

Working...
        X