X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mgd probing- info/safety

Hi all,

New user here. Have had really dry eyes because of Mgd. Has anyone here had probing done? Is it safe? I have tried lid scrubs, warm compress etc.

Do you know what's caused the mgd? Are you expressing your glands properly as you shouldn't literally scrub them?
    I have mgd too and haven't had any probing but I'm interested in IPL but I'm under a consultant who's going down the steroid route first. It's important to clean the lid margins regularly with a cotton bud.

Comment

I have done that. I literally have all my glands blocked. All the advanced treatments are scary.

Comment

I've had MG probing on the upper lids14 months ago and the lower lids 9 mos ago. It changed my life. I was lucky to be a subject in a NIH study at Mass Eye & Ear for the upper lids, so it didn't cost me anything. Around 10 days after the procedure my eyes felt totally normal, I couldn't believe it. The procedure only takes around 20 minutes for both eyes, but it takes 60-90 minutes to anesthetize the lids. They rubbed a topical anesthesia along the gland line 3 times, 30 minutes apart. And after that he did the probling, which still hurt but not terribly. They can give a shot but I didn't want that. Anyway, after 14 months my eyes are still good, but I'll probably have to do it again one of these days. Yes, it's expensive and insurance doesn't cover it ($850 for both eyes, upper or lower. Unfortunately not many ophthalmologists do this procedure so it can be difficult to find someone near you. I live in Connecticut so going to Massachusetts is doable. If you have any questions, let me know. And if anyone knows who does this in Connecticut or Rhode Island, please let me know

Comment

Working...
        X