Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is everyone a good candidate for probing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is everyone a good candidate for probing?

How do the doctors who are doing probing determine whether or not a patient is a candidate for the procedure? Do your meibography results have to show a certain level of atrophy? My concern is, since this is such a relatively new procedure that we don't yet know the possible long term effects this could have. I just wondered if this is reserved for the most severe of cases or is it becoming one of the more popular solutions for dry eye sufferer's at all levels?

i dont think its that popular as of yet. I think the only possible complications from it are scarring, but Dr ****** admits this is a risk if the procedure is not done right. I would presume Dr. ****** is likely the best at this procedure and would pose the least risk of scarring. If normal treatments for MGD dont work for you, then i would consider probing (i personally am choosing not to do it because I do not think the relief will be sustained and I do not feel like spending the money at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by JJdryeye View Post
      How do the doctors who are doing probing determine whether or not a patient is a candidate for the procedure?
      Each one will be somewhat different AND, how they do it will tell you a lot about what kind of doctor they are. That is, whether the chief concern is selecting the most appropriate treatment for you or amortizing the loan on the equipment.

Seriously, you might want to call the manufacturer and ask what their guidance is. I have heard WIDELY varying reports about what doctors are doing. I know doctors who use Lipiflow very selectively, and I hear about a lot of others who apparently recommend it irrespective of your test results.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Each one will be somewhat different AND, how they do it will tell you a lot about what kind of doctor they are. That is, whether the chief concern is selecting the most appropriate treatment for you or amortizing the loan on the equipment.

Seriously, you might want to call the manufacturer and ask what their guidance is. I have heard WIDELY varying reports about what doctors are doing. I know doctors who use Lipiflow very selectively, and I hear about a lot of others who apparently recommend it irrespective of your test results.
        It can't hurt I suppose to ask them. When I previously contacted Rhein they were very helpful (and fast) in getting me a list of doctors in my area who purchased the probes. So whether or not I get an unbiased set of guidelines for use is hard to say, but I don't have much to lose.

Comment

i think rebecca may have been thinking you were asking about lipiflow not probing. i dont think the manufacturer will have delineated the guidelines for who should receive probing like it has with lipiflow. but you could always ask.

Comment

Omigosh you are so right! I read probing and was thinking lipiflow ! I can't believe I did that! Thanks for noticing!
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X